DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Gladiator SE News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/408907-gladiator-se-news.html)

Premise 02-08-05 06:18 PM

Gladiator SE News

From DigitalBits:

Also today, we have word that DreamWorks is currently in production on a new DVD special edition of Ridley Scott's Gladiator, that will feature all new extras (different than what was featured on the previous release) and possibly an extended version of the film itself.

Sessa17 02-08-05 06:22 PM

Damn it!

Flynn 02-08-05 06:34 PM

I guess I'd get this for the 'extended version' if it seemed to be anything of real merit. I was very happy with the original release however.

Joe Molotov 02-08-05 06:49 PM

Considering how good the original was, I doubt there's anything they could do that would tempt me to buy this.

Brent L 02-08-05 06:52 PM

And the original ISN'T a SE?

natevines 02-08-05 06:53 PM

Err, there's already a great 2-disc DVD, so unless there's a new extended cut, I can't see the point of it. Just bring the old 2-disc OOP version back into print.

gutwrencher 02-08-05 06:53 PM

I'll snag it if it's extended and if the extension is worth it. I won't snag it though if all it has are different extras.

Willh51 02-08-05 07:00 PM

Why? The disc now is one of the best dvds of all time feature wise, especially for being a few years old. Is this going to tie in with some other movie as a promo?

dcprules 02-08-05 07:03 PM

It would have to have some great new features and a good extended cut for me to double dip, but Gladiator: Signature Series is already one perfect DVD (visually, audio, supplemental) and I don't know why you want to mess with perfection.

garyb 02-08-05 07:07 PM

Better be extended and have dts.

natevines 02-08-05 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Willh51
Why? The disc now is one of the best dvds of all time feature wise, especially for being a few years old. Is this going to tie in with some other movie as a promo?

now that you mention it, I would guess Kingdom of God: another Ridley Scott historical epic

Maxflier 02-08-05 07:43 PM

I have been wanting to upgrade my version to the Signiture Series version for the DTS:ES track,so i guess now i will wait in hopes that the new version carries over the audio tracks from the SS.

darmok 02-08-05 07:45 PM

love this movie!! hope they give us some real extras for this rehash! DTS would def. be a plus.

TomOpus 02-08-05 07:53 PM

Unless Ridley stops by the house to hand the new one to me, I'll stick with my 2-disc w/dts.

Mike Lowrey 02-08-05 08:42 PM

It'd be nice if this new SE would have some special features....

Anyway....I think this SE was originally rumored to incorporate the deleted scenes that were featured on the Signature Series disc. Several of which made the film more graphic in certain areas. One such shot was during the gladiator battle in the Monocco arena when one of the slaves threw a gladiator up on a wall of spikes. In the TC the camera doesn't show the guy being impaled but the deleted scene does. Other deleted scenes show an extended opening battle against the Germanic barbarians.

Sanitarium 02-08-05 08:45 PM

The current disc is more then good enough. Ridley should get his ass in gear on Blade Runner SE.

dx23 02-08-05 09:07 PM

The current disc is more then good enough. Ridley should get his ass in gear on Blade Runner SE.
Actually, Ridley would love to do a Special Edition of Blade Runner but for some reason, the asshole president of Univision Television, Jerry Penechio, who owns the movie by a technicality, has not agreed to re-release a new DVD of the film. There is a thread in the forum that can explain everything in more detail.

SuckaMC 02-08-05 09:14 PM

maybe they will include the crazy scene where he fights a rhino. there is an easter egg on the original release that shows the test rhino footage. hmmmm..

djtoell 02-08-05 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Actually, Ridley would love to do a Special Edition of Blade Runner but for some reason, the asshole president of Univision Television, Jerry Penechio, who owns the movie by a technicality, has not agreed to re-release a new DVD of the film.

If you're going to call someone you don't even know an asshole based upon a situation you're not even personally familiar with, at least get the guy's name right: it's Jerry Perenchio.

DJ

ctyankee 02-08-05 09:23 PM

Unless Ridley stops by the house to hand the new one to me, I'll stick with my 2-disc w/dts.
I'm with you (and others) on this one. I don't care about special features that much nor am I big on changing films that are already in the can. I'm not holding my breath for HD either but this would seem to be a awful double dip without a significantly improved picture. I'll wait for HD on this one.

Squirrel God 02-08-05 09:33 PM

There has been talk of a Gladiator Director's Cut for a while now, so I think we better all get our double-dipping hands ready ....

dollfins1 02-08-05 10:32 PM

nice! can't wait~ one of my favorite movies. since i only have the single disc, i will definately be upgrading!~

bjh_18 02-08-05 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
maybe they will include the crazy scene where he fights a rhino. there is an easter egg on the original release that shows the test rhino footage. hmmmm..

This sequence was never shot, which is why it's shown in storyboard on the dvd. They even say that there was really no way to do it believably since rhinos really can't be trained. So, unless they go and find a way to shoot it specifically for the release, it won't be there.

fumanstan 02-08-05 11:38 PM

The original 2-disc version is fine for me unless an extended cut has some significant differences.

SuckaMC 02-08-05 11:38 PM

hmmm, I didn't think they would put it in there. I think it would have been a touch over the top.