Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gladiator SE News

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched Gladiator for the first time on my new set-up (Panasonic XP30 and ISF'd Sony KP-57WS520) and was a bit disappointed with the video quality...more so than before. It sort of had a digital, compressed look to it. I'm not saying it's a bad transfer, but something about it I didn't like. I wonder if there's a chance for a new transfer with this next version.
Old 03-09-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id buy this movie again for an extended cut
Old 03-09-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thatll be the only way ill double dip on this one, only its an exteneded cut. And i dont mean like a few mins of camera shots or non-important dialogue either, its gotta be some good concrete stuff. The 2-Dsic version i have now is pretty damn good!
Old 03-09-05, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Gladiator and thought it was very entertaining, a much better film than Troy too I have the 2 disc w/DTS since I bought my first DVD Player in 2001.

Unless this "SE" is Extended w/DTS or something I won't Double Dip
Old 04-10-05, 11:29 AM

Gladiator Special Extended Edition(3 discs set): June 7, 2005

Sorry, but I cant reveal the source.
Old 04-10-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Maybe it'll be something along the lines of what he did with Legend, theatrical and director's cut in one package.
Old 04-10-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by catracho
Gladiator Special Extended Edition(3 discs set): June 7, 2005

Sorry, but I cant reveal the source.
If true, then that's pretty close and still no official announcement. I hope that's it true.
Old 04-10-05, 02:47 PM
Banned

If it's an extended cut...maybe...otherwise I'm perfectly content with the terrific 2-Disc set.
Old 04-10-05, 05:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Maybe it'll be something along the lines of what he did with Legend, theatrical and director's cut in one package.
yes, but "Legend" DC was horrible!!!
Old 04-10-05, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
yes, but "Legend" DC was horrible!!!
How so?
Old 04-13-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Digital Bits say NO DTS

We've checked with our sources and learned that, because this title is still in production, this list isn't entirely correct (although the final release should be very close to this). For one thing, the 3 hour and 20 minute Strength and Honor: Creating the World of Gladiator documentary takes up virtually the entire second disc in the set. The other "extras" you see listed under this on Disc Two are actually the titles of chapters of the documentary, some of which have changed since this list was issued. We've learned that a couple of the special features listed were from an early disc proposal and are not part of this set, while you should also expect a few additional special features not yet revealed. Finally, we've learned that there will be no DTS track, owing to the disc space demands of including two versions of the film on a single DVD disc via seamless branching, while still keeping the presentation quality high (an unfortunate but understandable sacrifice that will nevertheless likely be a sticking point with some fans). We'll update you as things become more finalized on this release. Look for an announcement from DreamWorks and Universal on this title sometime in the next few months, along with final disc specs and the official release date.
Old 04-13-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's GOOD news. DTS is already on the first version. This I'm getting only for the extras.
Old 04-13-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's a 448 Kbps DD 5.1 EX soundtrack they put on there and they make sure it's mixed well, it won't bother me. But if they downgrade to the lower bitrate because of a lack of disk space, the entire film will be ruined by lacklustre audio. This is a film where the sound is just as important as the image.