Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest+Chinatown 30th anniversery edition??????????

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest+Chinatown 30th anniversery edition??????????

Old 02-07-05, 03:13 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,001
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest+Chinatown 30th anniversery edition??????????

we all know how great these 2 movies...as of One Flew....i know the 2-disc set is great but do u think there will be a new special edition since i still didn't buy the current one?...i think Chinatown desperatly needs a special edition...it didn't happen last year do u think it will happen this year?
animatedude is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 03:55 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
If you had used one more question mark, I think your answer would have been easier to find.
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:00 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,192
Not sure what more you could want for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I agree that a Chinatown SE would be nice.
illennium is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:01 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,463
I doubt "One Flew..." can't be any better for standard DVD. Also, this is Warner. They don't do too many triple releases, if any.
DavidH is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:15 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
You think there should be a new special edition of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest BECAUSE you didn't buy the current one?
The Monkees is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:18 PM
  #6  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,934
Originally Posted by The Monkees
You think there should be a new special edition of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest BECAUSE you didn't buy the current one?
i was thinking the exact same thing?
OldBoy is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:21 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by animatedude
One Flew....i know the 2-disc set is great but do u think there will be a new special edition since i still didn't buy the current one?
I didn't think there would be another one... but then I learned that you didn't buy the current one. Now I'm not sure.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 04:23 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,138
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't think there would be another one... but then I learned that you didn't buy the current one. Now I'm not sure.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 05:02 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
buy the current one.....do it now.......the chinatown dvd isn't bad either...but i would rebuy if they added some more extras
Cameron is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 06:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,001
sorry guys but my grammer is not that good..
animatedude is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 07:53 PM
  #11  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 22
As for Chinatown- well, I agree that an upgrade is in order but you've missed out on the 30th Anniversary release by one year- the film was originally released in l974.
rossbrew is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 08:06 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,790
Originally Posted by animatedude
sorry guys but my grammer is not that good..
don't sweat it
Dabaomb is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 08:25 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by rossbrew
As for Chinatown- well, I agree that an upgrade is in order but you've missed out on the 30th Anniversary release by one year- the film was originally released in l974.
Right, so of course Paramount missed the ideal time for a re-issue. I don't think we'll be seeing it anytime soon, and I'm sure we won't be seeing another Cuckoo's Nest DVD, what more could one ask for than a 2-disc set with plenty of extras?
natevines is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 07:47 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by natevines
what more could one ask for than a 2-disc set with plenty of extras?
It seems like we're getting to the point where a studio could release a 10-disc box set with every inch of footage ever shot for a movie, commentary on every second of it by every member of the cast and crew, 3 feature-length documentaries on the making of the film, and a collectible action figure and people would still be wanting more. Are we no longer satisfied with just a great movie anymore? If you want to know more about it, READ A BOOK!
msbailey is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 08:07 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 3,541
I'll double dip for Cuckoo's Nest if they will release it with a keepcase
darkhawk is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 10:04 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by rossbrew
As for Chinatown- well, I agree that an upgrade is in order but you've missed out on the 30th Anniversary release by one year- the film was originally released in l974.
Paramount which means EXTREMELY unlikely to get any better than the release it has.

BTW - Chinatown is part of this week's 2 for $15 at Best Buy. I decided at THAT price, I'd just grab it (and The Grifters)
rfduncan is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 11:07 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Originally Posted by msbailey
It seems like we're getting to the point where a studio could release a 10-disc box set with every inch of footage ever shot for a movie, commentary on every second of it by every member of the cast and crew, 3 feature-length documentaries on the making of the film, and a collectible action figure and people would still be wanting more. Are we no longer satisfied with just a great movie anymore? If you want to know more about it, READ A BOOK!
So true.
chente is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 11:59 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Adrenaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
Posts: 1,479
Originally Posted by msbailey
It seems like we're getting to the point where a studio could release a 10-disc box set with every inch of footage ever shot for a movie, commentary on every second of it by every member of the cast and crew, 3 feature-length documentaries on the making of the film, and a collectible action figure and people would still be wanting more. Are we no longer satisfied with just a great movie anymore? If you want to know more about it, READ A BOOK!
The movie does come first, but I get the DVD for the extras as well otherwise I'd just rent it when I wanted to see the movie. For a movie I really like I enjoy watching long documentaries on their production, Alien Quadrilogy did this to perfection imo. Take the recent Star Trek 7 CE, I had high hopes for a nice documentary like what was found on the Star Trek 6 CE. Instead all we got was a rather short uninformative documentaries.
Adrenaline is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 12:01 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,001
guys relax!...i don't want the studio to release another One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest edition...i just wanted to know if there's one coming...
animatedude is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 12:33 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,701
Originally Posted by msbailey
Are we no longer satisfied with just a great movie anymore?
If you *truly* believe this, why do you even have a DVD player? There are only two advantages to DVD - the picture/sound is better, and there are various extras to enhance your understanding and enjoyment of the film. (Three if you count not rewinding, but a rewinder is cheaper than a DVD player.) So if all you care about is the great movie, why bother with DVDs at all? DVD will not make the movie greater, nor make a bad movie good, or anything like that.

That said, I've been holding out on 'Chinatown' because of the rumors of a SE release, and because I have a letterboxed VHS of it anyway
ThatGuamGuy is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 08:45 PM
  #21  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17
Hey folks, speaking of re-re-releases. Does anyone know if theres any rumour about another "The Abyss" this time anamorphic?

I ask that because word has it that Fox will be supplying stores with that "Abyss" 2001 2-discer non-ana again here in my "Region" by the end of this month (after a 3-year-OOP hiatus) but this time with a substantial price reduction.

I fear another "The Thing" scenario. You know, in 6 months they could announce an anamorphic release and then I am skrewed again. LOL! Anything at all ?
Andador is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 09:00 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
If you *truly* believe this, why do you even have a DVD player? There are only two advantages to DVD - the picture/sound is better, and there are various extras to enhance your understanding and enjoyment of the film. (Three if you count not rewinding, but a rewinder is cheaper than a DVD player.) So if all you care about is the great movie, why bother with DVDs at all? DVD will not make the movie greater, nor make a bad movie good, or anything like that.
No, but improved picture/sound can improve one's enjoyment of a film, as it brings it closer to its original intended presentation. This is the benefit of DVDs for people who "only" care about watching films. Not to be a jerk but, duh.

DJ
djtoell is offline  
Old 02-08-05, 09:06 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,216
If it's been over a year, yes there will be another whatever edition.
DVD Polizei is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.