Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

dvd copying - a rephrasing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd copying - a rephrasing.

first off, i'm not bloody trying to steal/copy dvds for fun and profit. i work at the USPTO for pete's sake. so don't ban me. i'm discussing here.

the point of an earlier post was this:
i think it'd be fun to watch simpsons episodes randomly. but thats not entirely easy to do because there are 6 on a disc i believe, and some 15+ dvds thus far.

so the copying was meant for the simple purpose of putting them all in one place. changing dvds is slow.

so, the questions are these:
i make disk images of computer games *that i own* on my computer so that i don't have to switch out CDs when i decide to play a different game.

is this kosher with dvds?

if it's not, and it would be kinda silly if it isn't, then someone's made my dream a lot harder, but potentially not implausible, to implement.

honestly, all i want is the equivalent of the "jump and play" function on the discs that point to the episode i want.

now be nice. keep it clean, keep it thoughtful. i have around 400 dvds that say i'm not breaking the law.
Old 02-01-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The owners of this site have decided that we cannot discuss that here.

Just go here Mod note: Since I already removed this link from another person's post I'm removing it from this one too. There are plenty of ways people can find out this info DVDtalk doesn't need to be culpable in that thx -nemein and stop making threads about it.

Last edited by nemein; 02-01-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 07:48 AM

I've stated how i feel in the other thread, but pdinosaur like he said.. if the web master doesn't want this being talked about, it's his rules.

This isn't a democracy, and it isn't a president election.. He can make any decisions he wants and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to come back. Chances are most do
Old 02-01-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

keep in mind. the actual question was:

is it kosher to make dvd images on your computer.
Old 02-01-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
is it kosher to make dvd images on your computer.
No.
Old 02-01-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

now, the meat of the issue. what makes it illegal? i'm not sure if it's breaking any encryption by copying it to my HD. i wouldn't be distributing it either.

please, cite your sources.
Old 02-01-05, 08:12 AM

Different laws for different things. I know music you're allowed to make copies for personal use but dvds you are not (in america that is, canada is completely different)

As for why it is, i don't know. i live by the philosophy "don't ask why, ask why not?"

A google search might give you the in depth answer you're looking for!
Old 02-01-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
now, the meat of the issue. what makes it illegal? i'm not sure if it's breaking any encryption by copying it to my HD. i wouldn't be distributing it either.

please, cite your sources.

Instead of arguing here you could have looked up how to do it and could have done it. It doesn't matter if you are copying it to your HD or to a disc. You are still COPYING it. Oh and we still can't talk about that here! How hard is that to understand?
Old 02-01-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, i raised the issue here, because i thought this was the authority on all things dvd.

and i really hadn't thought about legality because the question related to something i cannot purchase and would revolve around dvds i already own (well, i've yet to get season 3.. hehe)

and then i was cutoff. the being cutoff thing is what bothered me.

but as i'm a law abiding fellow, i persist here because i thin it'd be a cool thing to have but within the confines of the law, if possible.

but i guess now, if any solution is to be made, i might have to break the law before i figure out how to not break the law.
Old 02-01-05, 08:51 AM

dude you're just being a shit disturber now..

i was trying to take yourside before but you just want to cause trouble

go do a google search & read on your own. No one is a baby sitter for you.. if you want to break the law, go right ahead... if you feel like it put some mp3's on while you're doing it.. and write a review if you'd like!
Old 02-01-05, 08:52 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, this may be obvoius, but why don't you ask one of the attorneys - like your father - that you work with?
Old 02-01-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is not illegal to make personal copies of your media - any media. It is illegal to break the encryption that is contained on the DVD.

Conceivably, I guess it would be legit to copy DVDs with no encryption on them.
Old 02-01-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fine i quit cuz this is disturbing my work :P

kris81 - i'm not trying to cause trouble. i just had a goal in mind and it was derailed. thanks for being on my side (for some of the time anyway)
Old 02-01-05, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
The owners of this site have decided that we cannot discuss that here.

Just go here Mod note: Since I already removed this link from another person's post I'm removing it from this one too. There are plenty of ways people can find out this info DVDtalk doesn't need to be culpable in that thx -nemein and stop making threads about it.

I agree, I don't see a reason for another thread on this topic. I let the first one remain here instead of moving it to the feedback forum (which is more appropriate ) because I realize not everyone reads all the forums. We don't need multiple threads on this topic esp when the last one is still current/on the main page.

CLOSING