62.96%
No preference
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Subtitles & sound effects

Old 01-31-05, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subtitles & sound effects

Recently, in IRC, me and some people got into a rather heated argument, and in order to 'resolve' this argument, I come to DVD Talk to see if you can help!

We are trying to determine people's opinions on subtitles including sound effects. An example would be when, in addition to translated dialogue, subtitles also include text that describes other things in the audio like:

# Jazz music plays in background #

Last edited by Mrdini; 01-31-05 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 05:48 PM

I think it would be nice to have both options, as some dvds already have, since the one with sound effects will be beneficial to people who are hearing impaired.
Old 01-31-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure that I've ever actually seen sound effects in subtitles . . . only in closed captioning.
Old 01-31-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, only because I'm not hearing impaired. I just like to understand the lines perfectly (often I rewind several times if subtitles are not available to hear a garbled line). I never have a problem hearing a sound effect.
What really annoys me, though, is when it says 'captions for the deaf and hearing impaired', as though only people with those maladies like subtitles. It's a slap in the face, implying that I have hearing problems
Old 01-31-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always assumed "English Subtitles" mean general subtitles, and "Subtitles for Deaf and Hearing Impaired" meant it had a little something extra, like sound effects / music descriptions.
Old 01-31-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No it is not Nate,since captions were made solely for deaf and hard of hearing people

But that does not mean you can not check out the captions/subtitles if you have perfect hearing
Old 01-31-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
When given a choice between "captioned for the hearing impaired" and merely "subtitles" I always choose the captioning. Quite often I see a caption like "dogs barking in background" and it is NOT really evident that there are dogs barking. Sometimes it says "indistinct dialogue in background" and it's nice to know that it's not important to the plot to know what's being said. Sometimes it says "dialogue continues in Russian (or whatever)" and again, it's nice to know that the Russian dialogue is not important to my understanding of the movie.
Old 01-31-05, 07:36 PM

Woah, I'm seeing double o_O
Old 01-31-05, 08:13 PM

Subtitles should NOT include sound effects, but CAPTIONS should. Subtitles are useful for movies where either the accent or soundmix renders the dialogue difficult to understand (e.g. Gosford Park). CAPTIONS are for the hearing-impaired, and they definitely need to include sound effects.
Old 01-31-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts
What he said ^^^
Old 02-01-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
What really annoys me, though, is when it says 'captions for the deaf and hearing impaired', as though only people with those maladies like subtitles. It's a slap in the face, implying that I have hearing problems
Possibly the most insecure post ever.
Old 02-01-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterHowie
Subtitles should NOT include sound effects, but CAPTIONS should. Subtitles are useful for movies where either the accent or soundmix renders the dialogue difficult to understand (e.g. Gosford Park). CAPTIONS are for the hearing-impaired, and they definitely need to include sound effects.
Yep
Old 02-01-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by talemyn
I'm not sure that I've ever actually seen sound effects in subtitles . . . only in closed captioning.
Exactly what I was gonna say... Don't believe I've ever heard of subtitles with sound effects mixed in, that's generally what closed captioning is used for.