Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Song of the South info and articles

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, songofthesouth.net i can trust in. Thats a shame.
Old 03-13-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Well ultimatedisney.com seems to confirm what The Lizard King posted.

March 11, 2006 - A little over a year ago, a website which specializes in Disney-related speculative journalism reported getting inside word that Song of the South would be coming to DVD this fall as a special 60th Anniversary Edition. While this source has gotten some accurate scoops in the past, we classified this Song of the South news as rumor. The story was conceivable as various signs over the past few years have pointed to Disney finally giving this 1946 live action-animated musical a North American home video release, but this source was the only place reporting a firm release window. Yesterday, at Disney's annual shareholders meeting in Anaheim, current CEO Robert Iger debunked those rumors, claiming that he screened the movie recently and holds concerns about its depictions, even considering the context in which it was made. Citing "a sensitivity that exists in today's culture", he confirmed that a decision to not re-release the film ensures that a home video release will not be occurring in the foreseeable future. (Bootleggers, rejoice!). Few other items noteworthy for Disney films and home videos emanated from the two-hour-plus proceedings. The first trailer for Pixar's Ratatouille, due in theaters June 2007, made its debut and the company announced that it would likely release films in both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats, though its support still lies with the latter. You can listen to a webcast of the conference here.
BTW, if anyone has time to kill, they can listen to the webcast of the Disney shareholders meeting located at this link:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...tem_id=1225645
Old 03-13-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I was hoping to replace my "copy" with a legit release
Old 03-13-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a bunch of lame losers they are!

Glad I have my awesome copy from the Jap LD. I even sold a couple on ebay but my account was suspended for 14 days. So while I got a get out jail free card, I'm afraid to risk again.
Old 03-13-06, 01:59 PM

So much for letting the individual consumer make the decision on whether or not there child, etc. see's SOTS.
Old 03-18-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lifted from the HTF, credit to Jeff Swearingen

Here's the word from Jim Hill, who broke the story originally...

First up, Jeff S. writes in ask:

What is the word behind Bob Iger's announcement in the Disney Shareholder's meeting that "Song of the South" is still not coming to DVD?

Dear Jeff S.

Well, if you listened to the webcast of Disney's annual shareholder and/or were at Arrowhead Pond last Friday morning, you heard what I heard. That Bob Iger himself was the one who put the brakes on Buena Vista Home Entertainment releasing "Song of the South" on DVD.

And let me tell you, Jeff, that this project was already well underway when Iger finally pulled the plug. By that I mean: A company had already been chosen to handle the restoration of this 1946 Walt Disney Production release. And there had already been a protracted discussion within BVHE as to whether "SOTS" should be released as a "Walt Disney Treasures" (I.E. A limited edition, with possibly as few as 250,000 units actually being produced) or as just a general title.

More to the point, I don't think that we should entirely lose hope here. Given that Bob himself said that Disney will periodically review this decision and -- should circumstances eventually change -- there is still a chance that the Walt Disney Company will eventually release "Song of the South" on DVD.

Okay. I know that there are hundreds -- if not thousands -- of Disneyana fans out there who are disappointed and/or upset that Iger reversed Michael Eisner's decision. But me? You know, I gotta tell you that it was kind of refreshing to have a top Disney executive take personal responsibility for a decision.

I mean, in years previous, whenever Uncle Michael was backed into a corner and had to make an unpopular decision, he'd automatically default into corporate CYA mode. Using vague sounding execu-speak to muddy the water, cover his tracks. So you'd hear phrases like "... We'll take that under advisement" or " ... We'll have to review this matter internally before the company makes any official decisions."

But now here's Bob Iger. Standing on the stage at Arrowhead Pond saying things like "I recently watched that movie" and "... I personally have concerns that people won't be able to take in consideration the context under which this film was originally produced." Making it very clear that he was the one who decided that the time just wasn't right to release a "Song of the South" DVD.

So, sure. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to put an official, authorized version of "SOTS" into my DVD player anytime soon. But -- to be honest -- I'm perfectly willing to make that trade-off if the Walt Disney Company now has a CEO who says what he means and means what he says.
Old 03-19-06, 03:40 AM
Banned

I have a real problem with one person deciding the fate of whether or not I get to own a legitimate copy of SotS on DVD. This Bob Iger [Cee YoU Next Tuesday] shouldn't have that much power. No fucking way. There should be a democratic vote within the Executives at Disney.

I'm always amazed that these pricks are worried about offending the 5% when they release it but they don't care about offending the 95% when the don't release it.
Old 03-19-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't you think that it is the other way around ... the 5% are the only ones that notice/truly care that this movie has not been released. I doulbt it is on the list of concerns for most people.
Old 03-19-06, 08:27 AM
Banned

I think what Disney is worried about is that 5% will picket and boycott Disney and try a shakedown like profits of SONG OF THE SOUTH goto their orginazation.
So I understand.
Old 03-19-06, 08:36 AM

Again it's unfortunate that this can't be left up to the consumer. How about they sell it exclusively through Disney.com. They don't need a huge marketing campaign, some small advertising on current or upcoming DVD's or inserts in Disney DVD's and the people that want it can log on and buy it from the company themselves. It never has to see shelves in the mass market. Make it limited and MAYBE $10 more than current DVD's.
Old 03-19-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bob Iger may be taking personal responsibility, but when it comes right down to it, it's still the same old cop-out that speaks volumes about the basic cowardice of corporate heads. Iger is using different words than Eisner, but he's saying the same thing.

It reminds me of how politicians talk.

Considering the events of the past couple of months, it's hard to believe this is the same Bob Iger that handed control of Disney animation to the Disney fanboys at Pixar. And paid them 7 bil to do so.
Old 03-19-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that we are the 5%. Most people don't put film history in a category with several other important, yet trivial things that go on around the world. In a digital age it is impossible to bury it though. This is the greatest victory for the historians. While inferior in quality, the movie exist and can't be erased by any executive, organization, or code of ethics. This movie is highly traded, and sold on the grey market. Disney knows that many (including myself) own a pirated copy. They also know that the same people that take the time to obtain a pirated copy will pay for the real deal when they make it available. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age we treat a film made by Walt Disney (the man) like a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook.
Old 03-20-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as I would love to get my hands on this on dvd, I understand why they dont. We sit and say that no one cares, but I can guarantee, that when this is ever announced, the NAACP, and other groups will be up in arms. Its just the way the world works now. Disney is finally getting back on track in a lot of ways, and they arent going to do anything right now to screw that up.
Old 03-20-06, 11:32 AM
Banned

NAACP would not be up in arms, but their hands out!
Old 03-20-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age we treat a film made by Walt Disney (the man) like a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook.
Even worse, you can buy a copy of Anarchist Cookbook on Amazon.com
Old 03-20-06, 07:22 PM

Disney survived the Southern Baptist boycott and they can survive SOTS. All they would need to do is have an introductory feature with an appropriate host putting the film in context.

Outside of some politicized activist organizations I really don't think you would have that big an uproar if they market this correctly.
Old 08-26-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Reservoir
Never seen this film but I assume it's the version on tomorrow morning on the BBC?

looks like it airs tommorow...get your DVR ready.