Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Movie Posters..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 12:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie Posters..

does anyone know where i can find some good deals on some movie posters.. im looking for 26 x 40 inches.. Anyone got any ideas..?
Old 01-29-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might try posting this in the bargains forum.

allposters.com has a big selection...might not be the best deal.

welcome to the forum
Old 01-29-05, 12:28 AM

i just recently started collecting movie posters too
if it is original posters you are after and not reprints - check moviepostertalk.com as well as learnaboutmovieposters.com for more info and discussion forum
best deals - definitely ebay
if reprints - allposters.com or art.com
Old 01-29-05, 01:05 AM

www.movieposter.com is pretty good.
Old 01-29-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've picked up a few from Allposters. They have sales quite often.
Old 01-29-05, 03:22 AM
Cool New Member

alright thanks alot for the help guys, sorry i didnt know where to post it and i thought this was just a gerenal area, sorry..
Old 01-29-05, 03:45 AM
Banned

www.allposters.com is just about the best you can get...I've ordered most of mine from there.
Old 01-29-05, 11:44 AM

work in a movie theater....i do and i've gotten many poster over the lat few years. I even currently have a 8'x5' kingdom of heaven banner(new ridley scott epic due out in may) hanging up in my room
Old 01-29-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Redsand
alright thanks alot for the help guys, sorry i didnt know where to post it and i thought this was just a gerenal area, sorry..
Don't sweat it Redsand . . . of all of the forums you could have posted in, this is probably where you would get the best responses. After all, we don't have a "Movie Posters" sub-forum . . . yet.

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-29-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has been brought up many times, but whatever. For new posters, places like eBay aren't bad. I just got the Ray poster for $13 plus s/h. Can't wait.
Old 01-29-05, 03:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

not sure if this is typical, but I put a poster in my cart, continued to check out how much shipping would be and a few days later I got an email from allposters with a 10% off coupon code(they said they could only hold cart items for 48 hours).

while on topic, do you guys have any recommendations/tips for displaying movie posters? I was thinking of ordering a few but I don't want to just tack them up, anyone know of anything that looks a little classier without killing my wallet? does wal-mart or maybe chain craft stores carry frames that would fit for a good price? the frame options on allposters look great but cost way too much, I was looking for something simple and cheap. also, reprints/reproductions should still be on par with the originals, right? thanks.
Old 01-29-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wal-Mart carries frames designed specifically for official sized movie posters. I think I got one for less than $25 or so last spring. They've got a black frame with a plexiglass covering. Looks gorgeous and the cost was worth it.
Old 01-29-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kid apathetic
not sure if this is typical, but I put a poster in my cart, continued to check out how much shipping would be and a few days later I got an email from allposters with a 10% off coupon code(they said they could only hold cart items for 48 hours).

while on topic, do you guys have any recommendations/tips for displaying movie posters? I was thinking of ordering a few but I don't want to just tack them up, anyone know of anything that looks a little classier without killing my wallet? does wal-mart or maybe chain craft stores carry frames that would fit for a good price? the frame options on allposters look great but cost way too much, I was looking for something simple and cheap. also, reprints/reproductions should still be on par with the originals, right? thanks.
If you have any Michaels stores around they often have cheap frames on sale for about 10 bucks, including the 27x40 size. I found that a lot of retail stores don't carry frames that size, with 24x36 the largest such as Target. I also picked up a heavier and more solid frame from Ikea for about 20 bucks.
Old 01-29-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If you have any Michaels stores around they often have cheap frames on sale for about 10 bucks, including the 27x40 size. I found that a lot of retail stores don't carry frames that size, with 24x36 the largest such as Target. I also picked up a heavier and more solid frame from Ikea for about 20 bucks.
Agreed. Most places like Wal-Mart/Target don't carry movie sixed poster frames (27x40). Try going to crafts stores like: Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. What I've done in the past is just buy the black metal framing parts and clips, a sheet of glass, and some poster board. They will offer to frame it for you, but I've done it myself. It normally costs me about $45 total. The frames look great. And what's really nice is that if you do it yourself, you'll be able to change out posters within the frames whenever you feel like it.
Old 01-29-05, 10:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

thanks, there's actually a michaels next door to the best buy I shop at so I'll be sure to check that out next time I'm there. now if I could only decide on what to do with my FYE kill bill poster.
Old 01-29-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bed bath and beyond...linens and things....suncoast or media play.....27x40 19.99 in black or dark wood color frames
Old 01-29-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your local Suncoast stores have the 27x40 frames for around $20, too.

Slightly off topic: I'm looking for a quite rare Third Man poster, British release from the 1999 50th Anniversary, 27x40 horizontal (not the common vertical US one). If anyone can lead me to it (and it's within the going market price), there's a $20 DVD of your choice as a reward.
Old 01-29-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
Slightly off topic: I'm looking for a quite rare Third Man poster, British release from the 1999 50th Anniversary, 27x40 horizontal (not the common vertical US one). If anyone can lead me to it (and it's within the going market price), there's a $20 DVD of your choice as a reward.
I found this one, but it's 40x30 . . . can I assume that is not it?

Also check these results: http://www.emovieposter.com/ebay%5Fr...word=third+man (you may have to contact them for further details).
Old 01-30-05, 02:25 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
eBay can work to your advantage, particularly if it's a poster not in demand. I picked up the "Heist" double-sided one-sheet for $2. Oh, and always get it shipped in a tube, not the triangle box!
Old 01-30-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Minor thing about frame size. Be careful if you buy/own an older 1-sheet, as the original movie theater poster size was 27" by 41." I believe they change it to 27x40 sometime in the 1990s (around the same time posters started getting shipped rolled, instead of folded.)

FYI: Other classic US movie poster sizes: Insert 14x36; Half-sheet 22x28; Window card 14x22; Lobby cards (usually in sets of 8) 11x14; Three-sheet 41x81; Six-sheet 81x81
Old 01-30-05, 08:44 AM
Cool New Member

I have started to look for posters for older films lately. What is with these terrible 11x17" reprints?

Honestly, I do not care if they are originals (too expensive anyway) but why are decent reprints only readily available in these miniature sizes? I want a movie poster not a movie page.
Old 01-30-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by water
I have started to look for posters for older films lately. What is with these terrible 11x17" reprints?

Honestly, I do not care if they are originals (too expensive anyway) but why are decent reprints only readily available in these miniature sizes? I want a movie poster not a movie page.
I have two of the 11x17 reprints. One is very nice, with good color reproduction and comes in a sturdy clear cover with a tab for hanging. The other is pale and is just laminated. So be careful if you decide to pick up some of these. I'd rather have the real poster too, but these are nice to put is smaller spaces.

As for reprints, I have no problem whatsoever with them.
Old 01-30-05, 09:28 AM
Cool New Member

Here are some of my favorite places to shop for movie posters:

http://www.starscomeout.com/

http://www.filmposters.com/

http://www.posteritati.com/

For my own little "entertainment room" where I keep my DVD's I decided to primarily display U.S. Insert sized posters or Australian Daybills in the interest of space and due to the fact that I like the way they look. I've got a few pictures of them posted here:
http://www4.pbase.com/tazerfloyd/dvd_stuff
Old 01-30-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Wal*Mart carries a 27x40 frame. It doesn't look right because there's an insert with a bunch of cutouts for smaller photos. If you remove that, voila... you have a movie poster frame for under $20.
Old 01-30-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by water

If the reprint looks like crap, then I agree. Otherwise, I love these. They look amazing if displayed correctly. If some of the older links in the Display Your HT Setup threads still worked, you'd see how great they look if used correctly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.