Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kill Bill question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Bill question...

OK, I just recently bought and watched these two films for the first time. In fact, just watched Vol. 2 today. Got a good deal on these at Wal Mart for less than $14 each.

Anyway, my question is about the B&W portions. I know they're B&W on the R1 release, but aren't they in color on the R2 or R3 releases? And if so, will R1 eventually get a release that has those portions in color? Perhaps the SEs of each or the Deluxe recut version?
Old 01-27-05, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe
Old 01-27-05, 09:32 PM

I recall hearing something about changing the extra bloody color scenes to black & white to help avoid a NC-17 rating.
Old 01-27-05, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HighSpeedOnIce
I recall hearing something about changing the extra bloody color scenes to black & white to help avoid a NC-17 rating.
Yeah, that shit was over the top. But some of those scenes in B&W were in color in the "Making of" featurette, so I was just wondering.
Old 01-27-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
The House of Blue Leaves fight at the end of Vol 1 is completely in colour only in the Japanese R2 DVD. The other B&W scenes in both films (eg. the wedding rehearsal scenes) are B&W in all versions.
Old 01-27-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing I remember being removed from the R2 is the color changing eye blink, of course obviated by the fact the whole scene is in color. Anything else missing from the R2?
Old 01-27-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by HighSpeedOnIce
The film was never submitted to the MPAA with that scene in color. Tarantino made the decision early on (some say it is in the script) to make it black & white so that he wouldn't run into any problems. He also decided to release it with that scene in color for Japan because he thought the Japanese audience would like it better that way.
Old 01-27-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got a good deal on these at Wal Mart for less than $14 each.
This week Circuit City has a deal of 3 movies for $30.00 -- Kill Bill I and II part of it.
Old 01-27-05, 10:56 PM

I think its pretty cool/retro to have the scene in color. I mean, is its that important to you to see gore just watch Day of the Dead. Then watch Kill Bill again and realize how fucking cool it is have it in b&w
Old 01-27-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
I mean, is its that important to you to see gore just watch Day of the Dead. Then watch Kill Bill again and realize how fucking cool it is have it in b&w

I've seen both versions many times, and I think that the fight scene works much better in colour. It's not just more gore, it's clearer fight choreography, added bits of footage, etc. There was no real reason to have that particular part of the film in b&w other than to avoid any possible problems with the MPAA.
Old 01-27-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
The only thing I remember being removed from the R2 is the color changing eye blink, of course obviated by the fact the whole scene is in color. Anything else missing from the R2?

Yes, I think that the eye blink is the only thing missing. Back in 2003 when we first heard about the Japanese version having the scene completely in colour, I remember some people here saying that it would make the eye blink scene look stupid and redundant. So of course, it came as no surprise to me to see the eye blink taken out of the cut. It only made sense.
Old 01-28-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

rumors still say august 9th might see a theatrical release for an uncut kill bill with both cuts together on limited screens....this would mean a Xmas release....this rumor started because Neca's toys come out august 5th, and tarantino had said something about a release to coincide with the toys
Old 01-28-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by cultshock
I've seen both versions many times, and I think that the fight scene works much better in colour. It's not just more gore, it's clearer fight choreography, added bits of footage, etc. There was no real reason to have that particular part of the film in b&w other than to avoid any possible problems with the MPAA.

I agree. the fight just flows a lot better in color as there is a few more shots and slices that do help not make it jumpy.
Old 01-28-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do have to admit I would like to see the color version in whole in an R1 release. While the black and white is integrated well and makes for an interesting stylistic choice (regardless of some of the intent in doing it) the gore was, admittingly, not designed for the black and white footage, or at least does not seem like it. In color it flows like a bright red color, but in black and white has a tendecny to look like water. More than likely this was not the intention during filming and, admittedly, isn't that big a deal.

The extended shots and cuts is really the main reason, and nonetheless when and if Tarantino releases that long cut with the Japanese version integrated into the whole, I'll have it sit side by side with the original releases anyway.

Tarantino did make the decision for it to be in black and white, and while it's obvious those choices were initially made for the MPAA reasons, that doesn't change that it was a creative and well integrated way to do it and keep as much in the scene as possible. Nonetheless, I think the watery nature of the gore is evidence that when shooting, this wasn't really the intention. Even the bootleg trailer released before the film came out has shots from that scene in color.

Regardless, when Tarantino releases his whole bloody affair deal with the two films combined, he's said he'll include that version in the big one. So I'd expect to see it hit DVD sometime around 2018.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 01-28-05 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-28-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The fight scene in the "House of Blue Leaves" chapter isn't the only difference. In the R2 version, the anime chapter is a tad longer and you see <spoiler>the Bride chop off Sophie's other arm in the trunk</spoiler>. In the R2 version only the scenes that are flashbacks are in B&W.
Old 01-28-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad I didn't buy these now this week. That B&W always bugged me. I did't know there was a color version. I'll wait now for the 2-movie pack.
Old 01-28-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
The fight scene in the "House of Blue Leaves" chapter isn't the only difference. In the R2 version, the anime chapter is a tad longer and you see <spoiler>the Bride chop off Sophie's other arm in the trunk</spoiler>. In the R2 version only the scenes that are flashbacks are in B&W.
There's also a closeup shot of the mugs in the kitchen scene with The Bride and Vernita Green, as well as a differently angled shot. Why? I have no idea!
Old 01-28-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The added scenes also gives a better understanding on why she's flustered about seeing the boy and giving him a spanking.
Old 01-28-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is the one that I have.....

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/
Old 01-28-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Glad I didn't buy these now this week. That B&W always bugged me. I did't know there was a color version. I'll wait now for the 2-movie pack.
You might be waiting a while.
Old 01-28-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
There's also a closeup shot of the mugs in the kitchen scene with The Bride and Vernita Green, as well as a differently angled shot. Why? I have no idea!
Because the scene works much better that way!

If we are going to go over all the differences, let's not forget the Klingon proverb at the beginning of the film being replaced by the dedication to Kinji Fukasaku.
Old 01-28-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know where to pick up a R2 release at a reasonable price? Whenever I've browsed around ebay it's been in the neigborhood of $40.
Old 01-28-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It retails for 3800 yen (around $37.00 US) so even if you use places like Amazon Japan or cdjapan, with shipping it will still cost you over $40.00. Unfortunately, Japanese DVDs aren't known for being inexpensive.
Old 01-28-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
You might be waiting a while.
That's fine. I've already waited this long.
Old 01-28-05, 06:52 PM

i got both from a friend for $10 total. wouldnt pay more for such disrespctful barebones releases

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.