Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Back to the Future rerelease

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 05:56 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a new version did come out, I wouldn't buy it, got the v2 disks and happy with how it is.
Old 01-27-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Saw this at BTTF.com.

"While rumors continue to circulate that the reason for the speedy moratorium is because Universal plans to release a 20th Anniversary disc for the first film later this year, there has been no official word on this to date."

It doesn't appear that all three movies will be released as 2 disc sets. I went ahead and bought the box set today. It didn't have the V2 in the barcode, but it did have the sticker and the UPC code referenced earlier.

***UPDATE***
Ok, I read on another forum that the Part II disc shows v2 on it, but Part III does not. I opened my set and verified this. Others have said that even though Part III does not show v2 on the disc, the framing issues are fixed. However, there is no booklet in this v2 set. I called Universal and was told to contact the customer service dept at universalstudios&[email protected] to inquiry about the missing booklet.
My BTTF disc 2 and 3 both have V2 written on the disc
Old 01-27-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well here's something interesting, I just bought the trilogy at Target and the bar code matches up that people are saying have the "corrected" discs but it still has the red tag that says "

3 Movies
Disc Set
First Time On DVD!

This was the only ones that were out on the shelves. ON another forum it says that this is the "old" version. Can someone clarify if this is the "corrected" version or did I just buy the old one? (
Old 01-27-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note sure phatboy(Same barcode,old sticker,hmmmmm?). And I can't wait for the BTTF:Animated Series & Back To The Future:20th Anniversary *Please Insert 2-Disc* Edition that are rumored to be released this year.

*Is a Back To The Future Geek*
Old 01-27-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Class316
My BTTF disc 2 and 3 both have V2 written on the disc
Hmmmm, that's interesting. I was just going off of what others were reporting. I'll check out my Disc 3 later and report back.
Old 01-27-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the "re-release" is a new boxed set with the same 3 discs (with corrected versions of II and III of course) and a bonus disc with additional extras (like the "Indiana Jones" or "The Godfather" sets).
Old 01-27-05, 10:06 PM

Question-- I never purchased the original boxed set edition of *Back to the Future* because it was ***widely reported*** in DVD magazines at the time that the DVD edition of the movie had been censored (WHAT exactly was cut varied widely in various reports I read at the time, but the consensus was--it was censored). Apparently, parts of the (close to) opening sequence where Doc Brown is shot were censored, altered, changed or deleted for the DVD. Since I don't hold with censorship I refused to buy the DVD.

Will the new release actually have the entire film as it was made and shown in movie theaters in the 1980s? And will it be "real" widescreen. (As discussed in this thread--it is a wide screen movie; pan-and-scan or fullscreen destroys the original aspect ratio).

Let me know, eh?

--Brit TV fan (and classic film fan)

Quote of the day: NOBODY likes a bully!
Old 01-27-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BritTVfanMidwst
Question-- I never purchased the original boxed set edition of *Back to the Future* because it was ***widely reported*** in DVD magazines at the time that the DVD edition of the movie had been censored (WHAT exactly was cut varied widely in various reports I read at the time, but the consensus was--it was censored). Apparently, parts of the (close to) opening sequence where Doc Brown is shot were censored, altered, changed or deleted for the DVD. Since I don't hold with censorship I refused to buy the DVD.

Will the new release actually have the entire film as it was made and shown in movie theaters in the 1980s? And will it be "real" widescreen. (As discussed in this thread--it is a wide screen movie; pan-and-scan or fullscreen destroys the original aspect ratio).

Let me know, eh?

--Brit TV fan (and classic film fan)

Quote of the day: NOBODY likes a bully!
huh?? There were no reports of censorship. The only "cutting" was too much cropping on some scenes in II and III, which needed corrected discs.
Old 01-27-05, 10:43 PM

Back to the Future --question about the film

Class316 said quote:
huh?? There were no reports of censorship. The only "cutting" was too much cropping on some scenes in II and III, which needed corrected discs.
UNQUoTE

Nope, it was censored as being "inapporate" entertainment after 9/11 in the States. Most of the reports I saw at the time of the original release said that parts and/or all of the scene of Doc Brown getting shot were cut. OR that the nationality of the people that shot him was "digitally changed" (eg they cut the audio references to "Saudis" or whoever it was originally and changed it to "Iraqies" or something like that). This was fairly widely reported in movie/DVD magazines including the advertisements from Suncost Motion Picture stores. THE only part of the story that changed was WHAT was cut or censored. (EG-- some sources said the ENTIRE sequence of Doc Brown being killed was deleted--GONE from the film. Tho' you gotta wonder--how did it make sense then?) Other reports that I read said that the video was unaltered but the audio was changed or cut.

A lot of movies have their soundtracks messed with on DVD, usually pop music that plays in the background is deleted or changed so the musicians don't get royalities (or because the video firm doesn't have copyright access to the music). Apparently the changes to BttF were done under the same laws.

Or so I heard! I'm trying to remember DVD reviews from 3 or 4 YEARS ago, here, so maybe I'm wrong--BUT I think even the AFI got upset with the distribution company of the DVDs.
Old 01-27-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BritTVfanMidwst
Nope, it was censored as being "inapporate" entertainment after 9/11 in the States. Most of the reports I saw at the time of the original release said that parts and/or all of the scene of Doc Brown getting shot were cut. OR that the nationality of the people that shot him was "digitally changed" (eg they cut the audio references to "Saudis" or whoever it was originally and changed it to "Iraqies" or something like that). This was fairly widely reported in movie/DVD magazines including the advertisements from Suncost Motion Picture stores. THE only part of the story that changed was WHAT was cut or censored. (EG-- some sources said the ENTIRE sequence of Doc Brown being killed was deleted--GONE from the film. Tho' you gotta wonder--how did it make sense then?) Other reports that I read said that the video was unaltered but the audio was changed or cut.

A lot of movies have their soundtracks messed with on DVD, usually pop music that plays in the background is deleted or changed so the musicians don't get royalities (or because the video firm doesn't have copyright access to the music). Apparently the changes to BttF were done under the same laws.

Or so I heard! I'm trying to remember DVD reviews from 3 or 4 YEARS ago, here, so maybe I'm wrong--BUT I think even the AFI got upset with the distribution company of the DVDs.
With those few seconds of cropping, there was an outcry all over forums. IF there were something this major in BTTF1, I'm sure it would have been all over the place.

Anyone else care to comment on this?
Old 01-28-05, 10:14 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IN THE CORRECTED BOXED SET, ARE THE TRAILERS ON THE DVD OF THE FIRST FILM PRESENTED FULL SCREEN OR WIDESCREEN???
Old 01-28-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you heard incorrectly, or those were super early incorrect reports. I see no censored anything, and the "Libyan" reference is still there in the audio. Go ahead and pick it up. Basing your buying decisions on whether some moron reporter thinks the film is censored is pretty useless, IMO.

I'm trying to figure out my disc III. It has no V2 on it, but the files are dated more or less appropriately for the re-issue. Also, when I pulled it up on the computer, I checked one of the mistake scenes and it was correct. But when I watched it later on my cheesy DVDp, it was not wide enough. I still need to test it some more, perhaps in my Malata with X-Y scaling. It seems like I have a V2 disc, but maybe the player I used wasn't working with it or something. Disc II didn't seem to have the same problem, and it is labeled V2.

Last edited by Spiky; 01-28-05 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-28-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
Well here's something interesting, I just bought the trilogy at Target and the bar code matches up that people are saying have the "corrected" discs but it still has the red tag that says "

3 Movies
Disc Set
First Time On DVD!

This was the only ones that were out on the shelves. ON another forum it says that this is the "old" version. Can someone clarify if this is the "corrected" version or did I just buy the old one? (
The barcodes haven't changed. That's why all of these threads are saying to look for the new sticker.

You just bought the same old, misframed set. Unfortunately.

And, I too would like an answer to Filmmaker's question. Although I'll likely be picking up the set tomorrow, so I'll post an answer if no one else does...
Old 01-28-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Sounds like you heard incorrectly, or those were super early incorrect reports. I see no censored anything, and the "Libyan" reference is still there in the audio. Go ahead and pick it up. Basing your buying decisions on whether some moron reporter thinks the film is censored is pretty useless, IMO.

I'm trying to figure out my disc III. It has no V2 on it, but the files are dated more or less appropriately for the re-issue. Also, when I pulled it up on the computer, I checked one of the mistake scenes and it was correct. But when I watched it later on my cheesy DVDp, it was not wide enough. I still need to test it some more, perhaps in my Malata with X-Y scaling. It seems like I have a V2 disc, but maybe the player I used wasn't working with it or something. Disc II didn't seem to have the same problem, and it is labeled V2.
At the worse case call Universal and replace only Disc BTTF3.
Old 01-28-05, 01:35 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my copy and it came in 1 case instead of 3 cases and had a v2 on the second disc only. Luckly I had the UPC # because I could not tell which ones were widescreen.
Old 01-28-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,045 Posts
RE BritTVfan's question about censorship, other than the cropping issue, I vaguely recall hearing about some TV stations editing BTTF in the scenes with the terrorists. It was very soon after 9/11 IIRC, and I hadn't heard anymore since then.

As the others have said, this was obviously not done to the DVDs.
Old 01-28-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow. I'm glad I got the original ones and sent the 2 discs in the mail. Both with V2 written.
Old 01-28-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So ito make sure I understand all this, Since I accidentally bought the original "cropped" dvd's, it sounds like the consensus is to keep the originals so one can keep the booklet and send in the 2nd & 3rd disc to get the V2 discs, correct?
Old 01-28-05, 06:11 PM
Banned

Picked up the new re-release. Only the BTTF2 disc has the V2 on the disc. Odd, I hope BTTF3 is fixed and everything...
Old 01-28-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by phatboy
So ito make sure I understand all this, Since I accidentally bought the original "cropped" dvd's, it sounds like the consensus is to keep the originals so one can keep the booklet and send in the 2nd & 3rd disc to get the V2 discs, correct?
You have to keep everything but the 2 discs. They will send you a mailer to stick the discs in. You keep the case, book and disc 1.
Old 01-29-05, 09:26 PM

Hi--

To the various people who pointed out-- "Hey you got it wrong"-- thanks for the info. Actually, I'm glad I *did* get it wrong, since censoring or changing films to fit the political climate is a big no no in my book to say the least (if you want to listen to a discussion on the topic-- go to the "Song of the South" thread).
Anyway-- having put my mind to rest about the status of the original release of BttF--I now have to WAIT for the corrected re-release, right? Which is ALL three films?
Lovely.

--Brit TV fan and classic film fan
Old 01-29-05, 10:40 PM
Retired

No luck tracking these down today. None at Wal-mart period, only old ones at targert, and best buy only had the new ones in Fullscreen and the old ones in wide. It was still marked $34.99 at target and best buy, but I didn't have them scan it since they didn't have the new version in widescreen at either.
Old 01-31-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the corrected set this weekend.

1. No booklet. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
2. No V2 on Disc #3, although it is corrected.
3. The first disc hasn't been changed at all. The teaser trailer is still 1.33:1.
Old 01-31-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny thing is, they sent me the 2 discs way back when I first bought this set. I NEVER had to send in my old discs, I got to keep those also. I eventually EBAYED them. I think I got $10 for both, maybe more.....I was honest in my description also
Old 01-31-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I got the corrected set this weekend.

1. No booklet. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
2. No V2 on Disc #3, although it is corrected.
3. The first disc hasn't been changed at all. The teaser trailer is still 1.33:1.
Strange it would have no V2 written on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.