Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mystery behind different covers for AvP solved.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-24-05, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as some of you may know, there's been some confusion as to what the Widescreen cover shows for AvP. Whether its the Predator in the foreground, or the Alien. Well, it's both. The disc comes with a slipcase with the Predator in the fore-ground, and the keepcase artwork itself has the Alien in the fore-ground.

I just got mine this morning, along with the Predator 2 SE. Which also is a keepcase with a slipcover which is what we see on the Internet, however the keepcase for Predator 2 has completely different artwork than what all the internet sites show.
Old 01-24-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you got it, and the FS art is reversed.

Not sure if this will change if there are no slip covers. Catwoman had a slipcover with a full body pose, but the keepcase art was just a head shot of halle berry. However if you didn't get a copy with a slipcase the keepcase art was the same as the slip. Not sure if the same thing will happen...2 diffrent companies, but thought i would mention it for anyone who cares
Old 01-24-05, 11:55 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Thx for clearing it up!
Old 01-24-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

I just got mine this morning, along with the Predator 2 SE. Which also is a keepcase with a slipcover which is what we see on the Internet, however the keepcase for Predator 2 has completely different artwork than what all the internet sites show.
They couldn't even make it match the first Predator SE case?
Old 01-24-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's on the Predator 2 keepcase, then?
Old 01-24-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I really wonder why more and more releases are coming in slipcases. IMO, it's just a big waste of paper since the UPC is usually right on the paper slip that goes on the amaray case. Maybe it's good for mail in rebates so you don't have to destroy the actual case.
Old 01-24-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cartload
I really wonder why more and more releases are coming in slipcases. IMO, it's just a big waste of paper since the UPC is usually right on the paper slip that goes on the amaray case. Maybe it's good for mail in rebates so you don't have to destroy the actual case.
Personally, I like slipcases, but only when the artwork on the slipcase is different than that on the amaray. The plastic slipcases that FOX seems to be favoring now are kind of cool, but the artwork underneath seems to be very plain and doesn't even have the title or anything (the only one I've bought so far is RE:Apocalypse).
Old 01-24-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Personally, I like slipcases, but only when the artwork on the slipcase is different than that on the amaray. The plastic slipcases that FOX seems to be favoring now are kind of cool, but the artwork underneath seems to be very plain and doesn't even have the title or anything (the only one I've bought so far is RE:Apocalypse).
Resident Evil was Sony/Columbia

I like my slipcases also, but I could really care less
Old 01-24-05, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
It's a picture of the Predator holding up the skull and spine of Bill Paxton I believe.
Old 01-24-05, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
It's the Predator in B&W in a pose holding up a skull and vertebrae column (all in profile) then it kinda fades to a B&W city scape of L.A., all set against a black background. Then in red, the title PREDATOR 2 with a gray lettering of "Danny Glover" above that. This title is just above the head of the Predator in the profile. Then at the very top in red letters, "Special Edition".

Very subtle cover actually. Kind of the reverse of the slip cover in terms of color scheme. Of course the slip cover is the Predator head-on in red, with PREDATOR 2 in white lettering along with "Special Edition" in red lettering at the top.

And to Snowmaker, yeah, I agree. I was looking forward to at least similar packaging to the Predator CE for Predator 2. So if you want the two to match one another on the shelf, you may want to search out alternate cover-art or a scan and a double-disc keepcase. However, the use of the slipcase makes Pred 2 look at least a bit "special". But hey, look on the bright side...at least it comes with an insert.
Old 01-24-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
you got it, and the FS art is reversed.

Not sure if this will change if there are no slip covers. Catwoman had a slipcover with a full body pose, but the keepcase art was just a head shot of halle berry. However if you didn't get a copy with a slipcase the keepcase art was the same as the slip. Not sure if the same thing will happen...2 diffrent companies, but thought i would mention it for anyone who cares
You bought Catwoman?

j/k
Old 01-24-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I like slipcovers (provided they aren't too loose or too tight) Uni and Sony are doing some nice ones. Esp if we aren't getting inserts as much, I feel like I'm getting something more for my $$.

I'm on the fence with this AVP release. Another edition is likely later this yr, but the good reviews for this release and the 32-pg BB booklet are tempting me...
Old 01-24-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
You bought Catwoman?

j/k
NOOOOO

I work in a video store, and noticed the diffrence while making a pass through best buy.

However i did watch it in the store and it was worse than i had imagined. THe documentary was pretty good though. Nice to see all the Catwoman back together. I have a feeling some of this was shot for The Special Editions of the Batman films coming later this year. It was short, but had some good info on the Adam West Batman series...odd since I thought Warner and Fox were still at odds over this. Here's to hoping we see the tv show on dvd this year.