Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why Do I buy DVD I know I'll never watch

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I said it before and I'll say it again... heck, I say it every time one of these threads gets started...

Having a decent percentage (upwards of 50%) of unwatched discs in a collection is a healthy thing!

When you feel like watching a movie, if you have some that are unwatched, then you have the opportunity to watch it. But if you've seen all of your discs at least once and are in the mood to watch something you haven't seen in a while, then you'll be forced to go out to a video place to rent. I have at least 33% of my collection that I haven't watched yet, and I like having the option of grabbing a disc off the shelf I haven't seen yet.

But then again I march to a different tune.... and don't wig out that I have unwatched discs.
I see the logic, but of course, I disagree. If you have a fairly large collection, there's a good chance that even if you've seen everything in it, there are a lot of titles you haven't seen in a while.
Old 01-22-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've boughten a few DVD's on a whim that I have never watched (Namely "King of the Hill Season 1," "Forever Knight Season 1," and "Jeremiah Season 1") I usually see them at an incredible price and can't pass them up (yet i should).
Old 01-22-05, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I have a large catalog of unwatched films, and to prevent it from getting any larger, I decided to make a resolution to watch everything I buy within a week, with the possible execption of TV Series (not enough time in a week), and certain times of the year like my birthday and Xmas, where I may get 15-20 titles. I've watched every movie I've gotten this year (except for the new ones from today). So that's 20 new titles bought and watched so far this month. Also, I've knocked out 12 from my back catalog. I plan to keep this up throughout the year, and further, as long as time will allow me to.

I do this just to make sure the disc isn't a bad disc. I only buy maybe 5 movies a month and one or two season box sets a month. So usually when I buy a movie, I'll watch it right away, usually within a few days of purchase or arrival. Season sets however, are a totally different thing. For a while I was pretty much caught up and had everything watched with plenty of time, but lately with the explosion of TV on DVD, I've gotten kind of back-logged with my season sets. For example, Hercules - Season 4 came out back in July, I recently just finished watching it, about the day or so before Season 5 arrived. I've also got Xena - Season 5 sitting there, unwatched and Season 6 comes out in early March.

I bought all three seasons of Beastmaster back in October. Just now finally finishing off the 3rd season with just 6 episodes to go.

Just ordered two sets off of Amazon in their big >50% off sale. Dark Angel - S1 and 24 - S1. Don't know when I'll get time to watch them...I still have the final two seasons of Star Trek: Voyager to get through.

However, I figure that once I finish up all these series, I'll let up on my buying and just sit back and watch these at my leisure. And being that the last 6 months of 2004 was pretty lackluster for good films, I won't be buying very many movies for a while.
Old 01-22-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I know what you mean when you say you just like the feeling of knowing you've got what you love, but what's the point if you don't ever watch them?
I currently have about 15 DVD's (out of 200) that I have never seen. I have another 100 that I might not ever see more than once. Why do I have them? The 15 that I do have, I plan to watch in the near future and there's a better chance of me watching them if I own them. The ones that I don't really plan on every seeing again are movies that I enjoy and wanted to build my library with. Why have a library? We get weekend visitors almost every month since most of our friends and all of our family live out of State. When we have company, we want them to have a large selection of movies to look at and choose what to watch on any given night. Some of the movies I own, might never get selected and I might never watch them more than the initial viewing. Some movies I might watch a dozen times (even though I never planned to watch it again myself). It's much the same with my CD collection. I keep 12 CD's in my car and there's only a few other CD's that I listen to on a regular basis. Yet I have about 300. The reasons the same. If someone comes over and I say, "what to you want to listen to?", I want to have a selection for them to pick from.

Stew
Old 01-22-05, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by spartanstew
I currently have about 15 DVD's (out of 200) that I have never seen. I have another 100 that I might not ever see more than once. Why do I have them? The 15 that I do have, I plan to watch in the near future and there's a better chance of me watching them if I own them. The ones that I don't really plan on every seeing again are movies that I enjoy and wanted to build my library with. Why have a library? We get weekend visitors almost every month since most of our friends and all of our family live out of State. When we have company, we want them to have a large selection of movies to look at and choose what to watch on any given night. Some of the movies I own, might never get selected and I might never watch them more than the initial viewing. Some movies I might watch a dozen times (even though I never planned to watch it again myself). It's much the same with my CD collection. I keep 12 CD's in my car and there's only a few other CD's that I listen to on a regular basis. Yet I have about 300. The reasons the same. If someone comes over and I say, "what to you want to listen to?", I want to have a selection for them to pick from.

Stew
you're too good to your guests. back home guests in my house get a fold out couch and to use a 20 year old tv that doesnt even have a remote and stops at ch. 13
Old 01-22-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
this is true for me.

I've always been a collector. Used to be sports cards, comics, CDs, clothes, etc. Now it's DVDs. Been collecting for 2.5+ years now.

I buy a movie cuz I like it and have a desire to own and watch it. Sometimes (a lot of times) I don't.

I'm a bargain hunter and it's also the thrill of the hunt as well. I like searching for good deals. To me that's almost as big a part of the DVD hobby as watching the movies themselves. Is that wise? Probably not since DVDs for the most part aren't good investments. But hey, that's who I am and it's my money so I can spend it however I want.
I think Dabaomb is my metrosexual brother. Right down to the "sports cards, comics, CD, clothes, etc. Now it's DVDs" part.

Sheesh. It's like reading a bio about myself.

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 01-23-05 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-22-05, 11:02 PM

Out of the app. 1000 dvds that I own, I have not seen about 325 of them and there are probably another 200 Ive seen but not watched the dvd.These include the Godfather trilogy, BttF trilogy,all 5 Star Wars, and the Indy collection. I still have'nt seen the Green Mile which I purchased in June of 2000. Just looking over at one shelf I see 37 out of the first 49 that I haven't seen the dvd.Some of them I may never watch,but they just seem right to have in my collection.
Old 01-22-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I've boughten a few DVD's on a whim that I have never watched (Namely "King of the Hill Season 1," "Forever Knight Season 1," and "Jeremiah Season 1") I usually see them at an incredible price and can't pass them up (yet i should).
Hehe, 'boughten'. Awesome!
Old 01-22-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by natevines
Hehe, 'boughten'. Awesome!

The grammar police is in full effect
Old 01-22-05, 11:38 PM

Gutwrencher, I live pretty damn close to you, remember? When do I get to swing by and check out the DVD Library? Drinks are on me!
Old 01-23-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GeoffreyL
Out of the app. 1000 dvds that I own, I have not seen about 325 of them and there are probably another 200 Ive seen but not watched the dvd.These include the Godfather trilogy, BttF trilogy,all 5 Star Wars, and the Indy collection. I still have'nt seen the Green Mile which I purchased in June of 2000. Just looking over at one shelf I see 37 out of the first 49 that I haven't seen the dvd.Some of them I may never watch,but they just seem right to have in my collection.
I'm sorry, but that's borderline ridiculous. It's understandable that with the volume of DVDs in your collection, you'd have some titles unwatched, but 325 unwatched DVDs? Why are you still buying? I had about 80 DVDs in my backlog a month ago and felt completely overwhelmed. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have that many unwatched DVDs. To me, that'd just feel like a waste of money. I just don't see how you can possibly ever catch up if you keep on buying.

And for people who say they don't have much time, I guess I'll have to point to Gut, who's stated many times on this board how many hours a day he works and yet, he's got a library of nearly 2,000 titles and virtually no unwatched titles. If he can find time to do it, I don't see why others can't.
Old 01-23-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sold about half of my collection at sporadic moments in time over the past year.

Now I have about 90 (want to get down to 50 really) and I partake in online renting (the best thing ever).
Old 01-23-05, 12:41 AM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts
My problem is that I enjoy the films on DVD I own so much, that I find it difficult to choose one to watch. The reason is because I often put on a DVD in the background while I'm doing something else. Yet, the films I buy are so good, I can't imagine just having them in the background and not paying full attention to them. And unfortunately, a nice three-hour block for Lawrence of Arabia just doesn't happen everyday.
Old 01-23-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't do that but something close to it. I watch everything at least once because I won't rewatch a dvd unless I'm caught up. As soon as I buy a new movie it goes by the dvd player and will not get put up until it's watched. About a month ago I was caught up for the first time in ages and it felt great. Right now I'm only 3 behind so not too bad. As opposed to renting you should only buy what you may watch multiple times but DVD collecting is like an addiction or desease and we all here suffer from it. Just try and be more selective but still enjoy it. It beats wasting money on smoking or drinking or other junk.
Old 01-23-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is foreign to me I guess. I buy what I like and I watch what I like, so unwatched DVDs are pretty far and few between on my shelves. Do I wish I was rich and retired so I could watch movies at any given time? Sure, but as it is I watch what I bring in. I think people associate what SHOULD be in their collection with what 'serious' film coneisseurs regard highly. That's all well and good but if they're movies YOU don't have a desire to watch then they're pretty much dust gatherers. To me it's about entertainment. Lord KNOWS I have movies in my collection that would gag the serious film critic. As for buying movies so other people who visit and scan my collection can enjoy them (ie., friends and family members) the hell with that. Let 'em go buy their own, I don't need to stick a particular movie on my shelf any moreso than I need to keep a particular wine on hand for company.

Last edited by nightmaster; 01-23-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-23-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I really don't care what others think of my library and when someone comes to my home...the library is out-o-sight and locked away. I post a library link on-line....but thats just for film/collecting conversation between film lovers. to share knowledge about what you have and why can be fun.
not to make this thread about you, and i dont mean any real offense by this, and i dont know you, but i dont really buy this. ive never seen anyone on any forum do as much bragging as you on your collection. everytime i see your name as the next post, i know its gonna be bragging about adding this title to your already huge collection. you contribute alot about movies, but you always add a little quip at the end with just makes note of your massive collection. its subtle but its always there. i can talk about DVDs i bought, and films i like or dislike, without constantly referring to the size of my uhh collection.
Old 01-23-05, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by scarredgod
not to make this thread about you, and i dont mean any real offense by this, and i dont know you, but i dont really buy this. ive never seen anyone on any forum do as much bragging as you on your collection. everytime i see your name as the next post, i know its gonna be bragging about adding this title to your already huge collection. you contribute alot about movies, but you always add a little quip at the end with just makes note of your massive collection. its subtle but its always there. i can talk about DVDs i bought, and films i like or dislike, without constantly referring to the size of my uhh collection.
I smell a fight coming...
Old 01-23-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
this is true for me.

I've always been a collector. Used to be sports cards, comics, CDs, clothes, etc. Now it's DVDs. Been collecting for 2.5+ years now.

I buy a movie cuz I like it and have a desire to own and watch it. Sometimes (a lot of times) I don't.

I'm a bargain hunter and it's also the thrill of the hunt as well. I like searching for good deals. To me that's almost as big a part of the DVD hobby as watching the movies themselves. Is that wise? Probably not since DVDs for the most part aren't good investments. But hey, that's who I am and it's my money so I can spend it however I want.
Ah, a poster after my own heart.......I love the hunt for a good bargain. In the past year I haven't found nearly as many because after collecting for the last 4 and a half years there aren't SO many movies that I just have to have, that I haven't found in some pawn shop or used store along the way in one state or another, or picked up from half.com or DDD. A month or so ago I picked up the Van Helsing Ultimate Collector's Edition with the 3 Universal Monster Classics for a whopping $12......but deals like that aren't that proliferous now it seems like. I buy, at most, 1-2 new releases right off the shelf a month, the rest of my stuff I get by bargain hunting.
Old 01-23-05, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by scarredgod

He's paid for over 1800? movies. I'd say he's bought himself a little bit of "glory."
Old 01-23-05, 02:48 AM

I used to buy a whole crapload of movies that i'd never watch (mainly because they were really cheap, or i figured they'd be worth some money)

needless to say i smartened up, and sold over 80 of my dvds. The only one's i've kept now are the ones i believe i'll watch again, TV Box sets, movies i haven't seen yet but know i will, or movies i want to pass on down to my kids/neices/nephews..

I think that today's children's stuff is crap (spongebob, dragonballz, etc) compared to the stuff i grew up with in the 80's... as well i want my kids to experience disney classics like alice in wonderland, snow white, pinochio, etc.. so i don't mind putting out an extra 20-30$
Old 01-23-05, 03:17 AM

Spongebob isn't crap. It's pretty funny. For the most part, the 80's cartoons werent all that great compared to today. You've just gotten older.
Old 01-23-05, 06:05 AM
Cool New Member

I always try to buy DVDs that I either:
a) Have seen before and liked, and
b) Love it so much that I could watch it over and over again w/o bored of it.

That being said, I have about 4 or 5 I haven't watched since I bought them.
Old 01-23-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
I won't rewatch a dvd unless I'm caught up.
I don't follow that plan at all. Right now I have about 15 or 20 unwatched titles (out of over 1500) that I haven't watched, but they are all movies that I know well that were purchased release week or on special sale etc. I'll watch The Great Escape or Goodfellas (both sitting on the "new" shelf) when I'm in the mood, not because some studio or store decided I should watch it on Tuesday the 18th or whatever. Meanwhile, if I feel like re-watching a John Carpenter movie or a Kurosawa classic or some guilty pleasure comedy or horror trash, then that's what I watch.

I own them - they don't own me.
Old 01-23-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jkberden
I smell a fight coming...
Actually that's just my breakfast you smell there. I've been told it smells like a fight several times in the past.
Old 01-23-05, 10:20 AM

Al, that's true about being borderline ridiculous,But knowing I can watch any of them whenever I want is similiar to peeing your pants while wearing a dark suit. It makes you all warm,and no body notices it but you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.