Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Ingmar Bergman Special Edition Dvd Collection" question?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to pick this up but had a quick question first:

Since this set was recalled by MGM because of transfer issues, is there any way to make sure the set i'm purchasing is not an old one but the "corrected" one?

someone please help asap.
Thanks
Old 01-21-05, 01:13 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I don't believe the incorrect version ever made it to the market. It was recalled before they hit shelves.

Looking at mine, there is a sticker over the bar code with a large number, 1006999 and the UPC 0-2761691137-7, which are different than the numbers under the sticker, printed on the box (I can only see 10005996 as the above bar code number and and the end of the UPC 5962-6 from the box itself.)

Hope that helps.
Old 01-21-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jamieoni
I don't believe the incorrect version ever made it to the market. It was recalled before they hit shelves.
I saw it in some stores that week, and, even granting that they were the sorts of stores who were breaking both street date *and* the recall, I'm pretty sure a lot of stores got the wrong box (briefly) before the recall.
Old 01-21-05, 01:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only two titles were corrected in the box set, Shame and Hour of the Wolf. both were incorrectly matted at 1.66:1 and were later corrected to academy ratio 1.37:1.

instructions on identifying the corrected box set from DVD Beaver ...

"The corrected MGM boxset can be identified by its UPC code and Catalog number: UPC# 0 27616 91137 7 and Catalog# 1006999. Both numbers are found on a white sticker situated over the spot where the old UPC is printed, at the bottom of the box (old UPC# 0 27616 90225 2 — old Catalog# 1005996). For those who wish to purchase the titles individually, the new UPC for Hour of the Wolf is 0 27616 91135 3 (previously 0 27616 86787 2), and in the case of Shame it is 0 27616 91136 0 (previously 0 27616 90224 5). The UPCs of the other individual titles are the same as before. MGM should be commended for their diligence in addressing and rectifying the original error."

Last edited by cygnet74; 01-21-05 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamieoni
The incorrect version absolutely made it to the market... I saw it at stores during the release week (Best Buy, FYE, etc.) and Amazon.com shipped my preorder. I'm not even sure there was an official 'recall'... just a repressing shortly after the first pressing.

Luckily, most of the incorrect copies are likely sold off at this point, and it's easy to tell the difference via the UPC code.
Old 01-21-05, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

thanks guys
Old 01-21-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think mgm dumped all those crummy version of hour of the wolf in the media play used bins...beware
Old 01-21-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'm not even sure there was an official 'recall'... just a repressing shortly after the first pressing.
MGM most definitely officially recalled the set. It also provided a toll-free number for those who did buy the bad set to get replacement discs when they became available. That information is readily available if you do a search in this forum. I posted the info here when it was announced:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=122
Old 01-22-05, 09:20 AM

and those renting from Netflix definitely ended up with the first pressings, for what it's worth.
Old 11-15-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd like to pick up "Hour of the Wolf" from DDD while the sale is going on, but their specs still list it as "Widescreen - 1.66". However, the specs also list the "new" UPC of "0 27616 91135 3" that apparently indicates that this is the corrected version.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=MGD006997

I think I'll take a chance, although I doubt they'll let me return it if it turns out to be the 1.66:1 version as that's how they've described it on their site. I'm willing to take a chance, but would love it if someone out there could confirm that DDD's stock is the new, corrected stuff!
Old 11-15-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the Bergman set from DDD last year when it was 60% off,
and I got the corrected version.

sucks that MGM insisted on 1:66 non anamorphic......
Old 11-16-06, 08:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
funny, Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet the only film I own is the Criterion edition of 'Fanny and Alexander'. Thinking of bypassing the Region 1 SE DVD Collection and purchasing this import:

The Ingmar Bergman Collection

DVD Description
30 titles, two exclusive to this box set - Dreams (1955) and Farodokument 79 (1979).
Includes; After The Rehearsal, All These Women, Autumn Sonata, Cries And Whispers, Crisis, Dreams, Farodokument 79, From The Life Of The Marionettes, A Lesson In Love, The Magician, Music In Darkness, Persona, Port Of Call, Prison, The Rite, Saraband, Scenes From A Marriage, The Seventh Seal, The Silence, Smiles Of A Summer Night, Summer Interlude, Summer With Monika, Three Strange loves, Through A Glass Darkly, Torment, To Joy, The Virgin Spring, Waiting Women, Wild Strawberries and Winter Light.

oddly, the collection doesn't seem to include 'The Hour of the Wolf'
Old 11-16-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
I bought the Bergman set from DDD last year when it was 60% off,
and I got the corrected version.

sucks that MGM insisted on 1:66 non anamorphic......
Sucks even worse that they cropped it to 1.66:1 in the first place. If you want to waste a rental, Netflix has (or had) the 1.66:1 version, and the framing is terrible.

OK, I think I'll take a chance that the UPC code trumps the aspect ratio info in DDDs specs, and get it! Will of course report back when I can confirm one way or the other...

Giles, I've got the R2 single release of "The Magician" (which I suspect is the exact same transfer as the one included in the box), and it's quite good. However, Criterion has indicated that it will be releasing that film, as well as "Summer with Monika" one of these days. And possibly some of the other 50s-60s era stuff that's probably in the Janus collection. For that reason, I'm trading my R2 "Magician" in case anyone's interested (check my trade thread or email me).
Old 11-16-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
funny, Bergman is one of my favourite directors yet the only film I own is the Criterion edition of 'Fanny and Alexander'.

All the films in the set in question (with the exception of The Serpent's Egg) are excellent. My favorite Bergman has always been "Shame."

That said, I bought the set from DDD early this year and it was the corrected set.
Old 11-16-06, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
question:

is the full 6 hour miniseries cut of Bille August's 'The Best Intentions' (written by Bergman) released in another region? I know the domestic region one release is the standard theatrical 3 hour cut.
Old 10-23-07, 08:30 PM

I just realized I have the non-corrected version of this set. Does anyone know if they are still doing replacements for the two affected discs? I'll probably try to give them a call tomorrow and see. Hopefully it isn't too late.