Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD overload?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I just watched the entire second seasons of Gilmore Girls, Quantum Leap and Monk non-stop last week. I have no life, whatsoever!
Old 01-18-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are about 22 shows right now that I am working on completing. They are all shows that are still being released and I do a pretty good job getting new seasons as they come out.

The only shows I've slacked on are Northern Exposure Season 2 and Frasier: The Final Season. I'm having a real hard time getting back into the first season of Northern Exposure so I haven't bought the next season yet. As for Frasier I think that releasing the last season between the releases of the 3rd and 4th is really lame so I'm holding off on buying it. Other than that I'm keeping up real well since there aren't many movies lately I've felt compelled to buy.
Old 01-18-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV on DVD for me is like concerts on disc.....dessert watching of a kind, a fun decadent indulgence. I'm very selective about the shows I want to buy but when I do see them available I think it's great! It's also a good way to get turned on to certain shows that I missed across the board- I don't watch much television but I will check out TV on DVD sets from time to time to see what I'm missing, and in doing so I've become a fan of a few such as Firefly and The 4400. Also, how wonderful is it to be able to not only watch a half hour but 2, 3, 10 hours of a show you love? Stuff like Seinfeld, Northern Exposure, ST, Twilight Zone.......it's incredible to get to have these sitting in one's personal library. I don't look forward to many but the ones I do look forward to I'm very glad are available, and I'm sure fans of other series feel the same way so how can I honestly say there is too much TV on DVD? My only problems are the series I want to see come out that aren't on the radar yet (Batman is the one I'm looking most forward to), or the ones I haven't broken down and invested in like The Dick Van Dyke Show. I don't feel overwhelmed by 'em at all...if I'm not gonna watch 'em I just don't buy 'em.

Last edited by nightmaster; 01-18-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about 120-150 TV-on-DVD sets (including miniseries), about 100 of which are unwatched. I don't watch TV and never have, and in any event most good shows aren't on the air anymore. I like having an archive of quality TV shows.

It's only overwhelming if you feel an urgent need to watch all of them, and that need is generally a sign of over-spending. I think it just comes down to spending within your means.
Old 01-19-05, 01:25 AM

Max: Haha, that's okay, I do the same thing and I think it's a hell of a lot better way to spend your life than to get wasted and make an complete fool of yourself every weekend like alot of my friends do.
Old 01-19-05, 06:48 AM

I'm happy they're releasing so much tv on dvd. I just finished season 2 and 3 of 24. Now that I'm watching season 4 on live tv, I now realized that I've been spoiled by the commercial-free dvds. I should get a tivo just to skip commercials on all of the shows I watch...
Old 01-19-05, 07:14 AM

Skipping the commercials is one of the reasons I really like watching the tv on dvd sets. I can't stand how many commercials we have to sit through just to watch one show.
Old 01-19-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to cut down on my TV set buying. I just don't have the time to keep up. Hopefully in doing so, I'll get to take advantage of those $15 Season 1 online deals that seem to pop up every once in a while.
Old 01-19-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TV on DVD is the best! Definately what I spend the most on. The shows I buy not only have more bang for the buck but are infinitely more rewatchable than my favorite movies. I couldn't tell you why this is if my life depended on it though.

There are the people who watch shows on dvd for the first time (these are usually the Alias, 24 people) and then the collector of favorite shows (not that these two don't overlap quite a bit). I only buy shows I've watched before and most of those are cult like so I will probably be watching them 10/15 years from now. Angel, Buffy, Firefly, Btas, Stas, Dead Zone, The Office (my most watched dvd's), coupling...and on and on. Shows I will always be in the mood for. Bring on more.

I do think shows like Alias & 24 are great but aren't great for owning. Those shows are mainly about the twists and turns for me and after knowing them a lot of the fun is gone IMHO. But it's great knowing they're out their for sale.
Old 01-19-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoy having tv on dvd. It is such a nice, convenient way of reconnecting with old friends. When I was younger and living at home, my father, brother and I spent a lot of time watching tv (before the explosion of cable in the late 80's) and it is so nice to be able to sit down and replay those memories while watching the shows that helped create the memories.

When I get a new tv set, I do not feel compelled to watch the series non-stop, I spread things out a bit and savor the shows. I try to only purchase shows I will watch repeatedly. It is great to have so many choices as we all do not necessarily enjoy the same shows. The more choice I have, the more decisions I have to make. What a great predicament.
Old 01-19-05, 06:35 PM

Other than a handful of old American favorites, I tend to buy mostly British TV DVDs. Their shorter seasons have the dual advantage of being a) cheaper and b) often of a more consistant quality from episode to episode. Plus, BBC-released sets usually have a fair amount of extra features.
Old 01-19-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I collect the full series of over 20 series, and I couldn't be happier with my collection (I own about 600 discs of TV shows, but only about 100 discs of movies).