Reload this Page >

will JAWS be rereleased??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-13-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it is it's 30th Anniversary this year and Universal loves to quadriple dip.

I am hoping this film gets rerelease properly this time around. Does anyone know if Universal is planning anything or foolishly doing nothing?

The one main important thing is too include the original Academy Award winning excellent mono mix!

Also the full 2 hour documentary would be nice as well. But the original audio is the more important aspect for a rerelease in my honest opinion.

The new remix is distracting and just doesnt 'feel' right at all for the film. It already sounded perfect as it was,and then Universal goes and tosses it out for a new remix. The least they could have done was include the original mix as well as the 5.1 mix!

They thankfully included the original mono along side the 5.1 with the DUEL release. So I hope if JAWS is ever revisted(and we know it will),that they do the same.

Until then,I guess I will just have to enjoy my(excellent sounding) mono laserdisc in CAV baby!!!!
Old 01-13-05, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im more than satisfied with the current release and with the 5.1 DD
Old 01-13-05, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
original mono is always prefered, so if they provide it...I'll buy it.

should add that I have no problem with the current release. however, the original tracks should always be included...out of respect for the films(most essential)...and the purisits who buy them.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-13-05 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So we didn't have the mono sound, big deal. I'm more than content with what's available on DVD already. The movie picture quality is more than adequate and I'm not bothered by the 5.1 track.
Old 01-13-05, 08:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i have the dts release currently. the film looks great, but i would definitely prefer to have the original soundtrack. the remix has too many distracting elements in it.
Old 01-13-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
I'd buy it for the full 2hr documentary.
Old 01-13-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
So we didn't have the mono sound, big deal.
It is a big deal when they actually have to record new sound effects 25 years later to accomplish the 5.1. That's a radical change to the film... and, frankly, an unwelcome one.

I'm all for presenting films in the best way possible, but if that requires 'redoing' something (new CGI effects, new sound effects, new scenes, whatever), the original should always be included.

I'd gladly double-dip for an edition with the original audio and the full (2+ hour) laserdisc documentary. The current DVD is a downgrade from the previously released LD box. Of course, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Universal will actually accomplish this. They've shown over and over that their DVD department is run by monkeys.
Old 01-13-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jaws is my favorite film of all time. if they could provide a disc of worthwhile extras and options for the original mono track and soundtrack (score) only i would certainly pick it up. we can always hope!

chris
dollfins1
Old 01-13-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd only buy if one of the following happened.....
Steven Speilberg Commentary
Full 2 + Hour Documentary

So that means,that for once Universal will do one or both of these things,and they will make me buy it.
Old 01-13-05, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
With all the double dipping Universal does, I'm surprised this title hasn't been already.

Maybe it has to do with Spielberg?
Old 01-14-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TNAJason
I'd only buy if one of the following happened.....
Steven Speilberg Commentary
Full 2 + Hour Documentary

So that means,that for once Universal will do one or both of these things,and they will make me buy it.

No Speilberg Commentaries to date...doubt he would start with this....Figure after he release all his films they commentaries will be recorded and re-released....but I think E.T. or Schindler's list will be first in line.
Old 01-14-05, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
No Speilberg Commentaries to date...doubt he would start with this....Figure after he release all his films they commentaries will be recorded and re-released....but I think E.T. or Schindler's list will be first in line.
I've read in several places that Speilberg refuses to do commentaries. He says that they take away the "magic" of film making and that some things are better left to the imagination. I think I also saw him state this on Inside the Actor's Studio.
Old 01-14-05, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Artman
I'd buy it for the full 2hr documentary.

This is the main reason I'd buy a new edition. But I'm not expecting much from Universal.
Old 01-14-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I've read in several places that Speilberg refuses to do commentaries. He says that they take away the "magic" of film making and that some things are better left to the imagination. I think I also saw him state this on Inside the Actor's Studio.
He also stated that David Lean's private Lawrence of Arabia commentary was one of the greatest experiences of his life.
Old 01-14-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Knowing Universal, they would release this exact same disc, but in a different case with a CD, or some extra 10 min. "Jaws" promo.
Old 01-14-05, 04:02 AM
Banned

I love the current DTS disc I have...the sound is excellent...I'd keep it, but I'd like a new 2-Disc set with the FULL 2 hour documentary. Can't really add much else that isn't already on the current releases.
Old 01-14-05, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I got a big schpeel for saying 'no mono sound, so what?' As some others have said, the sound actually worked out pretty good in the Jaws 5.1, it's not as good as having an actual 5.1 track made from scratch that's been used in the theaters but I think it's good enough to keep. I mean, I always prefer mono sound if that's how the film was originally made... such as in Friday the 13 etc. And I love how most old TV shows they don't try and run up a special surround track. But the 5.1 is Jaws is what we have and they worked hard to add stuff to channels that didn't exist before and I appreciate that to some extent. This movie has had a couple of releases already hasn't it? I wouldn't double dip on Jaws just to get mono sound. I would only double dip if we get that full commentary.
Old 01-14-05, 05:46 AM

If Spielberg thinks that commentary´s ruin the magic of movies...I wonder what he calles "behind the scenes" stuff and "making of" featurettes...
Old 01-14-05, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I got a big schpeel for saying 'no mono sound, so what?' As some others have said, the sound actually worked out pretty good in the Jaws 5.1, it's not as good as having an actual 5.1 track made from scratch that's been used in the theaters but I think it's good enough to keep. I mean, I always prefer mono sound if that's how the film was originally made... such as in Friday the 13 etc. And I love how most old TV shows they don't try and run up a special surround track. But the 5.1 is Jaws is what we have and they worked hard to add stuff to channels that didn't exist before and I appreciate that to some extent. This movie has had a couple of releases already hasn't it? I wouldn't double dip on Jaws just to get mono sound. I would only double dip if we get that full commentary.
Have you heard the DTS mix for Jaws? Sounds excellent for a 30 year old movie, hell it just sounds excellent period.
Old 01-14-05, 06:03 AM

Yeah, but the trouble is that the DTS track is not 30 years old...the non-included mono track was...
Old 01-14-05, 06:17 AM
Banned

So? They put a lot of time and effort into making it an effective 5.1 track and it worked. It sounds excellent.

Sure I'd like to have the mono track, but it's no biggie because I'd likely just listen to the DTS track.

Wait, what if they made a DTS Mono track! Oh yeah!
Old 01-14-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
So? They put a lot of time and effort into making it an effective 5.1 track and it worked. It sounds excellent.

Sure I'd like to have the mono track, but it's no biggie because I'd likely just listen to the DTS track.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say in that jumbled post up above. The DTS does sound pretty good. But hey, movie buffs are always going to fight tooth and nail for the originals and not for 'improved'.... even if the improved might be at least adequate or even 'better'. I mean there are some things that are done to movies that I can't stand, but, when it comes to people 'improving' films, making a mono track into a 5.1 soundtrack doesn't bother me... especially when that 5.1 wasn't compiled simply by screwing around only with the mono track alone... for this Jaws movie they added a bunch of new stuff to make it sound really good, and I think it was effective. I don't understand what was so 'distracting' about it, other than the fact some people may just have a very closed mind, and being so used to hearing a mono track for years will simply not accept anything else. I'm usually for keeping original soundtracks to films, considering the process to making a surround track out of mono usually is just supplying us with a simulated surround track by stretching parts of the mono track to certain channels but, they really gave Jaws the royal treatment to make it sound as good as a 30 year old movie can. So seriously, if the mono track was released before I would probably not upgrade to a 5.1 track, but since I have the 5.1 now I'm not going to double dip for a mono track with the surround track is very effective for an old film. It makes no sense to me at all.
Old 01-14-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by DanishDVDfreak
If Spielberg thinks that commentary´s ruin the magic of movies...I wonder what he calles "behind the scenes" stuff and "making of" featurettes...
This stance of Spielberg's has been brought up a lot here. But I remember someone had brought up that he meant they ruin the movie-watching experience. It's like someone talking to you while you're trying to watch a movie. He feels there's a time to talk about his movies... just not DURING the movie.
Old 01-14-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TomOpus
This stance of Spielberg's has been brought up a lot here. But I remember someone had brought up that he meant they ruin the movie-watching experience. It's like someone talking to you while you're trying to watch a movie. He feels there's a time to talk about his movies... just not DURING the movie.
Well, he's got a point to a certain degree. If that's his deal, fine. But it's not like the movie is being sold with him talking over it exclusively, without the option to watch his movie without a commentary. If people are watching his movie with a commentar, it's because they want to . So he should really be willing to bend to please his fans. But I don't see why the full two hour documentary wasn't included before.
Old 01-14-05, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH
Knowing Universal, they would release this exact same disc, but in a different case with a CD, or some extra 10 min. "Jaws" promo.

I thought this might get another release after the price drop below $10 for the current release. Now seeing all the "Ultimate Party Double Secret Probation editions" from Universal, and recent releases like the disappointing new Dazed and Confused edition, my hope has eroded. It'd be a real shame if they didn't do it right, as this film gave Universal so much, and they have reaped the benefits and association with it for years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.