Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A monthly DVD Magazine?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: A DVD Collector's magazine..eh?
No, all I need is what I get online.
53.73%
Yes, we DVD Collector's need a magazine too (fair is fair, after all)!!!
46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

A monthly DVD Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 02:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A monthly DVD Magazine?

Have you noticed there are magazines devoted to video/computer games and the collectors thereof?

Have you noticed there are magazines devoted to CD collectors (i.e. Filmscore Monthly, which is my favorite of this type)?

There are magazines for collectors of... dolls, action figures, comic books, stamps, coins, trading cards, die-cast cars, toy trains, model building, RC cars & planes, antiques...just about everything you can imagine that is collectible.

However, while there are plenty of magazines which review a few DVDs per issue (i.e. Widescreen, TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, etc.), there is no actual DVD Collector magazine! Granted, there are plenty of fine websites (such as this one) where one can read reviews of our favorite hobby, but it just isn't the same as having a collector's guide that has reviews & detailed disc content information, interviews, complete release schedules and other items of interest. Having this on paper just adds to the enjoyment as there are many times you would rather not be learning more when you're not focusing your eyes on a computer screen.

I can't afford the time or money to make such a magazine, but I would subscribe to such a publication in a heartbeat...wouldn't you?

This is a gigantic hint to all of you out there who may have the time and resources to start such a magazine!
Old 01-10-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Several have tried, and even offered free discs of trailers and short films with each issue--but they bombed.
Old 01-10-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would not buy a DVD magazine. All of the information I need is online. Most men's magazines (Maxim, Stuff, Playboy, etc.) have DVD sections.
Old 01-10-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would subscribe. DVD Talk is a great resource, but I like reading mags when away from the computer.
Old 01-10-05, 03:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they had them I'd buy them once and a while. But sites like this already have a wealth of information.
Old 01-10-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In the immortal words of Egon Spangler, "Print is dead."
Old 01-10-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not monthly (it's bi-monthly), but Video Watchdog is a useful resource I pick up occasionally.
Old 01-10-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd probably subscribe to a magazine like this if there was one on the market. DVDs are my main hobby, and I'd love to have something dvd-related to read while I'm not watching movies or online.
Old 01-10-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I read game magazines and other entertainment magazines, so yes. The thing is, though, it'd have to not suck, which is a hard thing to achieve.
Old 01-10-05, 05:35 PM

Yes, I would subscribe to it.
Old 01-10-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Exister
It's not monthly (it's bi-monthly), but Video Watchdog is a useful resource I pick up occasionally.
it's every month...and it's the only source for film outside of the internet...that I need. well...except for my wall of film related books.

no need for another magazine, imho.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-10-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 05:54 PM

I would only subscribe if they have like dvd comparisons like they have in dvd beaver. so i know what to get
Old 01-10-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Normally, by the time you get the magazine in your hands, all the content is old news.
Old 01-10-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
There's DVD Etc, but they've proven to be retarded in several of their reviews (their review of Passion Of The Christ mentioned NOTHING about the disc's picture and sound quality, I read it to find out if it had burned-in or player-generated subtitles and there was zero mention of it, but they did say it was "Available in both widescreen and pan and scan versions for discerning viewers.") Most printed magazines are just whores out to give free advertising to everyone. Internet forums like this are far more honest and timely.
I would subscribe to a magazine that had a DVD with it, I've supported the ones that have done them in the past and I don't see why it's so hard to do them correctly. Total Movie was OK when it started out, though they sometimes used too much compression on the discs. The free Inside DVD was a great idea, but horribly executed. The quality of their discs was laughably bad, and carried over when they took over Total Movie only to kill it for the second time.
Best Buy put out a Coming Attractions disc last year with movie and game previews and music videos, they should put those out on a regular basis.
Old 01-10-05, 06:37 PM

print-wise, i get everything i need from the Facets newsletter.
Old 01-10-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I would love that! It could be useful when you need to know market value on OOP titles, for example.
Old 01-10-05, 07:26 PM

It would be good, but it just couldnt keep update with online sources. However I do pick up preimere mag every month for the movie news and intervies.
Old 01-10-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Several have tried, and even offered free discs of trailers and short films with each issue--but they bombed.

Pretty much sums it up right there. Many have tried and they attempted it in a bad way but they just end up going belly up. Even offering trailers and bonus material on the dvd packed in. It just doesn't work.
Old 01-10-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Remember Total Movie?

The writers sucked and the customer service was even worse.
Old 01-10-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd like to see a DVD Price Guide! It would take a lot of work (research, reliability and etc...) but I am certain it would help many of us collectors. What do you all think?
Old 01-10-05, 08:41 PM

Widescreen Review is the only hometheater/DVD magazine I read. I tried Total Movie, but it was awful.
Old 01-10-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Total Movie. A new magazine I found in October is Giant. While it is not strictly a DVD magazine, it is the best new mag I've seen in awhile.
Old 01-10-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

total movie would have been great if they would have kept sending issues to people who paid for them.

i also thought substance tv was a cool idea...magazine on a dvd with shorts and what not.

would buy if the quality was there
Old 01-10-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by gotrice487
I'd like to see a DVD Price Guide! It would take a lot of work (research, reliability and etc...) but I am certain it would help many of us collectors. What do you all think?

I think that's the worse idea around. The moment you start giving these dvds price ranges you start a whole collectors market that will be filled with scalpers and morons. You will get people coming out of no where thinking that their every day movies are worth more than they really are.

Criterions would be worse and more expensive to buy on ebay and it's just a dumb idea in general to give any value on them other than MSRP or what folks will pay for on ebay.
Old 01-10-05, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Exister
I just visited their website and think I will give it a try (and DVD Etc. too)...thank you!

Last edited by Kimiakane; 01-10-05 at 10:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.