DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Stand By Me?

Old 01-12-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Where's the deleted scenes? The outtakes? This is from 1986, not 1956 - surely stuff hit the cutting room floor? Surely Reiner didn't get everything he wanted perfectly the first time he shot the scenes? Could he have?
Considering this is just a repackaging of the already-released disc, Reiner probably wasn't even consulted about this "new" edition.

BTW, Wheaton didn't look heavy at all when he hosted "Call For Help" on TechTV about 9 months ago.
Old 01-12-05, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
MOD NOTE: Fartface, rfduncan & digitalfreaknyc please stop your quibbling and stay on topic.
Hey, I'm not the one calling people names (the only person I call names is myself), not that it bothers me. It really shows how juvenile the person doing it is. So, please, keep it up. I find it very amusing.

As to a new version of 'Stand By Me', once again the studios are trying to rip people off, which isn't surprising. Anything to make a buck. And if people are dumb enough to keep buying new versions of the same old stuff, well, they deserve exactly what they get.
Old 01-12-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fartface
Hey, I'm not the one calling people names (the only person I call names is myself), not that it bothers me. It really shows how juvenile the person doing it is. So, please, keep it up. I find it very amusing.
Um . . . I wouldn't recommend arguing with the mod's . . .
Old 01-12-05, 11:16 AM

You are one of the three people is who is taking this thread off track though. If you keep your comments on topic, like the latter half of your post fine, responding to personal comments/name calling though is generally discouraged around here. Instead of doing so please use the "report this post" (the ) link.

Thanks
Old 01-12-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by talemyn
Um . . . I wouldn't recommend arguing with the mod's . . .
Oh, please! I'm so scared. Hey, I've already been banned forever from this site...I forgot how may times now. And usually, I'm the butt of the insults, NOT the one insulting anyone, which says a great deal about the mods here. Guess they don't like faggots like me. OOPS! I admitted it! Now I'll be banned again!
Old 01-12-05, 11:22 AM

I'm curious then as to why you feel the need to come back? Is this really the only fulfillment you get out of life
Old 01-12-05, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
I'm curious then as to why you feel the need to come back? Is this really the only fulfillment you get out of life
To quote: 'I do it because I can. But there you see? I admitted I was a faggot and was once again banned! So predictable. What is you mods so hate about gay people? Never mind. You'll just delete this message, I'm sure.
Old 01-12-05, 12:20 PM

What is you mods so hate about gay people?
AFAIK none of the admin/mods have anything against gay people... what we have problems w/ are people who can't seem to abide by the rules of the forum.

Last edited by nemein; 01-12-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Japan got the Superbit....shame we don't get the same.
That's why I bought it.
Old 01-12-05, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
That's why I bought it.
So did i. Betcha I got mine cheaper

Actually...could you do a hi res scan of the cover art? I just won a copy on Ebay but it didn't have the outside art. Just the disc.

Email me!
Old 01-12-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
So did i. Betcha I got mine cheaper

Actually...could you do a hi res scan of the cover art? I just won a copy on Ebay but it didn't have the outside art. Just the disc.

Email me!
I'll give it a try when I get home. By the way...I haven't used my scanner in ages
Old 01-12-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so passes faggot and fartface...good riddance to thread crappers
Old 01-12-05, 07:54 PM

I for one am releived that this is a non-event re-release, because I already own the older version!

As to Wil, did anyone else see the VH1 special My Coolest Years: The Geeks? Everyone was pretty funny, but Wil stole the show. I'm not afraid to admit that he is totally someone that I would have (or would today for that matter) hung out with.
Old 01-12-05, 08:11 PM

this is the third release. Watch out T2 and ID4
artwork is up and dvdanswers if you don't know yet
Old 01-12-05, 08:20 PM
Banned

That cover is alot better than the special edition cover in my opinion, I think I'm going to stick with my special edition since I already have the soundtrack.
Old 01-13-05, 09:05 AM

Is the Superbit version good?

I am thinking about buying it. They sell them cheap on e-bay. I am only a bit afraid of buying a bootleg. I e-mailed this guy on e-bay who is selling it for about 15 dollars. He assured me it was a original disc. The pictures looked good. Only I just noticed it had bonus features on the disc like a commentary, etc. This can't be right.

Think I better fork out the extra cash and buy it at a normal online store.
Old 01-13-05, 01:54 PM

I met Wil Wheaton at a Convention either last summer or two summers ago. He's a very bright, intelligent and extremely funny guy with a lot to offer. I really hope he is posting in these threads and finds his way to this one. That would be really kew.
Old 01-13-05, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear
Is the Superbit version good?

I am thinking about buying it. They sell them cheap on e-bay. I am only a bit afraid of buying a bootleg. I e-mailed this guy on e-bay who is selling it for about 15 dollars. He assured me it was a original disc. The pictures looked good. Only I just noticed it had bonus features on the disc like a commentary, etc. This can't be right.

Think I better fork out the extra cash and buy it at a normal online store.
Buzz. TOTAL BOOTLEG. All they sell are boots so don't bother buying it. He insisted the same thing with me even though it has to special features. This is definitely NOT an original.
Old 02-26-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=Drexl]Considering this is just a repackaging of the already-released disc, Reiner probably wasn't even consulted about this "new" edition.

QUOTE]

Are you sure that this is ONLY a repackaging of the SE that's already out, because Amazon shows the new Stand By Me to have 5.1 dd sound and the SE doesn't have that?

I saw this thread a month ago and also felt no reason to upgrade. Does Amazon have the wrong info or is anyone else reconsidering their opinion on upgrading?
Old 02-26-05, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Are you sure that this is ONLY a repackaging of the SE that's already out, because Amazon shows the new Stand By Me to have 5.1 dd sound and the SE doesn't have that?

I saw this thread a month ago and also felt no reason to upgrade. Does Amazon have the wrong info or is anyone else reconsidering their opinion on upgrading?
This is from the review at DVD Movie Guide
What did I find when I compared the picture and audio of this new 2005 Deluxe Edition of Stand By Me with the original release from 2000? They were absolutely identical. As was the case with the 35th anniversary release of Easy Rider, the Deluxe Stand simply packages the existing DVD with some new non-disc-based materials.
Old 02-27-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
This is from the review at DVD Movie Guide
Couldn't the reviewer be wrong? The new one states 5.1 and the "old" SE was only 2.0.

They can't be the same disc if they've upgraded to 5.1 dd.
Old 02-27-05, 11:25 PM
Banned

You're going to believe Amazon over someone who's reviewed the disc and has it "in hand?" lol that's funny.
Old 02-27-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couldn't the reviewer be wrong?
Colin Jacobson is an excellent reviewer when it comes to A/V. I doubt he is wrong.
Old 02-28-05, 08:36 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by DavidH
Colin Jacobson is an excellent reviewer when it comes to A/V. I doubt he is wrong.
In other words, he doubts Amazon's assertion of the disc being 5.1 is accurate, as do I. It will be just like the EASY RIDER re-release, identical to the last DVD release in every way, even down to the menus.
Old 02-28-05, 08:49 AM

Are there any differences besides the 5.1 audio between these discs?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.