Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HD DVD titles announced for 4th Q 05!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ignition
Well, I own an HDTV, and I will not upgrade anything unless DVDs stop being made and sold.
Your loss.
Old 01-07-05, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Its all gonna depend on backward compatibility of DVDs, price of media, price of players and so on.

D-VHS and Laserdisc are different animals.

I do not see this being a huge market at the beginning, but slowly people may convert.
True, true. Being backwards compatible I suppose would be extremely enticing. Will Blu-Ray be backwards compatible?
Old 01-07-05, 10:28 AM
Banned

True, true. Being backwards compatible I suppose would be extremely enticing. Will Blu-Ray be backwards compatible?
I'm entirely not sure. I plan to look into that this weekend while I am here in Vegas for the show.
Old 01-07-05, 10:30 AM
Cool New Member

If I was rich, and quite stupid, I would be hotly anticipating the format launch. Some real good stuff there -- Se7en, and 12 Monkeys, especially.
Old 01-07-05, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Your loss.
This all depends if I would actually notice the difference. Truth be told (and don't crucify me for this now) is that I barely notice the difference between the picture on my HDTV and the plasmas in Best Buy. Maybe it's just my contact prescription isn't strong enough, but man, it just doesn't bother me all that much.

I completely understand that a lot of people here have invested much more money and time into their systems and probably spend a lot more time watchign their movies. I admit they love their movies more so than myself. I'm just bittter that all the money I put into my collection will be rendered obsolete within a few years of purchasing.
Old 01-07-05, 10:35 AM
Banned

This all depends if I would actually notice the difference. Truth be told (and don't crucify me for this now) is that I barely notice the difference between the picture on my HDTV and the plasmas in Best Buy. Maybe it's just my contact prescription isn't strong enough, but man, it just doesn't bother me all that much.

I completely understand that a lot of people here have invested much more money and time into their systems and probably spend a lot more time watchign their movies. I admit they love their movies more so than myself. I'm just bittter that all the money I put into my collection will be rendered obsolete within a few years of purchasing.
If you have an HD set, then why would you see a difference? Don't fall into the ignorant mindset that the general public has that if your new TV isn't plasma, it isn't shit. But that is another issue altogether.

The question is: Can you see the difference between a DVD and a 720p or 1080i High-Def signal?

Last edited by Green Jello; 01-07-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 10:37 AM

Ignition, you have an HDTV, but do you receive HDTV programming? If you ever saw a football game, C.S.I. or X-Men 2 in High Definition, I find it hard to believe that you would maintain the stance you have now. Do you mean to tell me that as players become more affordable, and you see a new title on the shelf in both DVD and HD-DVD or Blu Ray, you're going to stubbornly pick up the standard DVD instead, because "that's good enough for you"? I wonder how long you held on to your VHS collection before you made the change. The HD difference above standard DVD -- to me -- is almost as radical.
Old 01-07-05, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Admiral7
I wonder how long you held on to your VHS collection before you made the change. The HD difference above standard DVD -- to me -- is almost as radical.
I consider it to be more of a difference.
Old 01-07-05, 10:43 AM

Yeah, Laserdisc was not really embraced by the public...even less so here in Denmark when I first started my small LD collection in around 1991...And they were extremely expensive too. But a big thanks to one man here in Denmark who believed there was something better than VHS...he imported and sold them as the first one ever i Denmark (I think)...He´s now into DVD´s of course
Old 01-07-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Its way to pricey for me to pick up at launch. I do have an HDTV but I haven't seen HD-DVD in action yet. I'm happy with my current DVD collection and don't plan on double dipping at all, I might start buying HD-DVD's if they aren't too much more expensive than regular DVD's.
Old 01-07-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Warner/New Line/HBO
BATMAN BEGINS
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
THE FUGITIVE
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE MATRIX
THE MATRIX RELOADED
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
OCEAN'S ELEVEN
OCEAN'S TWELVE
SE7EN (NEW LINE)
THE SOPRANOS (HBO)

Paramount
STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT

Universal
APOLLO 13

I'll take one each of the above, please.
Old 01-07-05, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Green Jello
These are the same people who are buying HDTVs like crazy. It's very simple. Since the HD-DVD format is backwards compatible and will play the original DVDs, regular DVD players will disappear as soon as the price comes down low enough. Soon it will be like Progressive Scan. Originally, it was only on units that were $1000+, and now it's hard to find a unit that doesn't have it even for $30.
Green Jello is absolutely correct here. Once a "winner" has been declared, the manufacturers of both player and discs will slowly transition over to whichever HD format wins. DVD will slowly fade away and the HD equivalent will take its place. I'd say it'll be 10 years. You don't have to trash your current DVD collections; they'll play on whatever format succeeeds it. I also wouldn't hold out on any title you want, because you never know what is going to happen.

Some of these initial choices are puzzling.
Old 01-07-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Some of these initial choices are puzzling.
I'm surprised Paramount didn't include the first Mission: Impossible.
Old 01-07-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I see 8 I'd double dip on. Ugh. this is going to get ugly

Yes, I have an HDTV and YES it makes a huge difference. I keep thinking there might be something wrong with my DVD's because, well, they just ain't as clear as HD. I'd love to see anyone who currently owns an HDTV hold off on getting into this.
I own an HDTV... Toshiba 34" 16:9 Tube. I won't get into an argument about the superiority of tubes over RP sets, but suffice it to say that if someone is going to notice a difference, it will be most clearly visible with a tube HDTV.

I also have HDTV programming provided by my cable company. The signal is indeed superior to regular and digital cable, but a majority of it ISN'T better than my anamorphic DVDs. Although programming may be "broadcast" in HD, the source isn't always HD. The stuff that is sourced and broadcast in HD is better than DVD... but only slightly. (that could be an issue with HD cable though)

I have no doubt that a properly sourced and broadcast HD signal will be superior to the best DVD presentation. The issue isn't about the "technical" specs... it is about what will actually be delivered.

Progressive Scan capabilities are now available in sub $100 players, but they are crap. My $68 Magnavox player claims to be PS capable, but when turned on, it is WORSE than with it off. In contrast, my Pioneer DV-578A produces a pristine image connected to my Tosh HDTV via quality component cables.

The technical specs on DVD are superior to VHS, but that didn't guarantee that every title released on DVD would be superior to its VHS counterpart. (anyone remember Highlander?)

The specs on HD-DVD are superior to DVD, but considering that companies are still haven't reached the limits of DVD technology, I don't believe that the first few waves of HD-DVDs will be appreciably better than their DVD counterparts. Certainly not enough to warrant the premium paid by "early adopters".
Old 01-07-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread says to me "progress" and that is good news for consumers. Once I can afford that new HD hardware and software, I'm ALL OVER IT!

Especially when I see the letters HD in regards to ROTK!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by woofman; 01-07-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What sracer said. I see this as being very similar to the intial DVD releases when compared to their Laserdisc counterparts. I had friends who paid big bucks in 1997 to run out and grab a DVD player so they could play Twister and about a dozen other titles. All of which looked basically the same as my current LDs. Yawn. Things took a while to get interesting and look better.

Putting the 'format war' aside (I have a feeling that the 2 formats will co-exist, and that future players will simply play both)... I'll probably sit this one out for a year or two.

I waited until March 1999 before jumping on the DVD bandwagon, and I'm pretty happy about that decision... I'll wait for them to work out all of the bugs in the software and hardware, lower the price, release more titles, and tweak the quality.

One thing I'm curious about is the state of HD-DVD extras. Many of these titles announced are available in pretty packed standard DVD editions. Will the extras be carried over? Or will those of us who love commentaries, documentaries, etc. be stuck holding onto two different editions?

EDIT: (There would be 20 HD-DVD double-dips on that list for me, BTW.)

Last edited by bboisvert; 01-07-05 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 12:29 PM

You so you spend 70 bucks for the Matrix boxset, only to have to rebuy then in HD?

I hate DVDs now.

What a waste of money, lol.
Old 01-07-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Kant
Saw this on HTF:
Posted by amillians-

BATMAN BEGINS
BLADE (NEW LINE)
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
CONSTANTINE
DARK CITY (NEW LINE)
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
THE LAST SAMURAI
THE MASK (NEW LINE)
THE MATRIX
OCEAN'S ELEVEN
SE7EN (NEW LINE)
SWORDFISH
BLACK RAIN
SLEEPY HOLLOW
THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
THE THING
BACKDRAFT
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
Son of a Bitch!!!!! What no Jurassic Park or ET for Universal...What the hell? I can count 14 double dips from my list...shit!

Of course the actual disc specs will make all the difference.

What about Region Coding???? RCE????

I'm wondering what the rest of the world is getting....
Old 01-07-05, 12:42 PM

We will be getting shit...

first of all, the EU has to agree on HDTV...that would be the first step...But we are a pretty long way away from even that
Old 01-07-05, 01:49 PM

I can't wait for HD-DVD to few of today's DVDs have the picture quality I desire.
Old 01-07-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's way to early to have any sort of HD-DVD format. Most people will not be willing to rebuy movies in HD especially since you will probably want an HD capable TV to fully take advantage of the new format. I just think that so many people have invested in DVD collections that it's going to be hard for people to justify rebuying a movie that was only released recently.
Old 01-07-05, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I think it's way to early to have any sort of HD-DVD format. Most people will not be willing to rebuy movies in HD especially since you will probably want an HD capable TV to fully take advantage of the new format. I just think that so many people have invested in DVD collections that it's going to be hard for people to justify rebuying a movie that was only released recently.
I do not think it will be that difficult to integrate it. The studios obviously realize that it will be slow from the start. They can slowly start integrating by releasing both SD and HD DVD in one box (at a higher cost).

Laser Disc and D-VHS couldn't do that obviously.
Old 01-07-05, 03:36 PM

Sooner than I expected.

Quality on these initial releases I doubt will be as bad as initial DVD. The same learning that has made DVDs better over the years will translate to the HD formats. Many, many movies have had 1080p digital HD transfers done already, they just have to be coverted to the destination format. It not like early DVD where they had to take some film or video transfer and do a digital transfer and encode it and all that crap. That's not to say there aren't bad HD transfers out there. They've been seen on HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, etc, but in those cases it's hard to separate the transfer from broadcast issues.

For those who can't see the difference, great, we're glad you're happy with what you have. For those of us who can, it's nice to finally see some real movement toward a true home video HD optical format (or two ).
Old 01-07-05, 03:55 PM

How much $$ for an HD-DVD?
Old 01-07-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where did the other thread go? Anyway, I may update a few titles but not all or even most.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.