Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gaining a new appreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-05, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaining a new appreciation

You know the films. The ones you've seen countless times on TV - edited, condensed, chopped up with commercials, full screen.

The ones you've seen on VHS, full screen, poor sound and video.

But then you see it on DVD and ... WOW! Glorious image and sound. Original aspect ratio. Unedited. Unchopped. No commercials. The way it was meant to be. Or maybe in some cases, even better than the theater.

So through the DVD format, what movies would you say you've gained a new-found appreciation for?

For me, I'd say the one that stands out the most is The Final Countdown. I had only seen this on TV. The new DVD, when I saw it, blew me away with its incredible look, sound and proper OAR presentation.
Old 01-04-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Dawn is one of my favs. The DVD isn't really that great but it was better than seeing it on TV like I always had to.
Old 01-04-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scarface.
Old 01-05-05, 06:13 AM

Since I just watched the new DVD, I would say Top Gun.
Old 01-05-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Well it didn't even take DVD, but when I got the letterbox VHS of the original SW trilogy, I was blown away.

Wrath of Kahn was pretty amazing, particularly when I got the director's cut and finally saw the version I grew up with taped off ABC.
The Motion Picture was a pretty good change, though that was an entirely new cut.
Old 01-05-05, 06:50 AM
Banned

Mine would be the Superman movies. Especially the first one, the restoration and remastering of the transfer and sound mix was unbelievable! I had never seen it in Widescreen before, it was a revelation!

And I'm still waiting for Monsters Squad!
Old 01-05-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'd have to say older horror movies. So many times I've watched 'em on TV or old VHS tapes and the quality always sucked. It's a marvel to view them with sharp details and bright colors. And that's not including OAR... plus seeing them uncut.
Old 01-05-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Misery" and "Contact"
Old 01-05-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Halloween" was a completely different film for me when I first saw it on DVD in the proper OAR.
Old 01-05-05, 07:33 AM

For me, I would say BraveHeart...
Old 01-05-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Star Wars is what weened me off Pan&Scan for good. It wasn't on DVD, it was the widescreen VHS, but still. Those films are a sin in P&S.

Then there's stuff like UHF, which I was blown away even made it onto DVD. I paid $42 for an OOP VHS copy in 1999. Three years later I bought the DVD for $10! I can't say the presentation blew me away. It's an Open Matte film, so it wasn't hacked up for TV, but seeing it in widescreen for the first time in 13 years was pretty cool.

I think what I get more is the other side of the coin. Once you see a movie in DVD quality and widescreen, there's no way you can watch the hacked up, edited, time compressed piece of crap that goes by the same name, but in no way represents that film.

Comedy Central runs the South Park movie quite a bit, but I can't sit through their presentation when I know I have it sitting on my shelf. Sure it's uncut (an edited version would probably run about 12 minutes), but seeing the hacked up frame work, not to mention the commericals, makes me ill.

I can only think of one movie I'd rather watch on TV, and that's Born In East L.A. The DVD is in widescreen, yes, but it also includes a hacked up film with 20 minutes missing from the third act. The TV version is so much better, and makes so much more sense than the one on my shelf. Other than that, TV presentations are dead to me.

Last edited by TheKing; 01-05-05 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-05-05, 08:39 AM
Banned

Mad Max. Seeing the new undubbed version. I'd seen the film many, many times, but it was like seeing it for the first time.
Old 01-05-05, 09:31 AM

Regarding a couple flicks mentioned...

Scarface is probably the closest I've gotten to a "blind buy." I had only seen bits and pieces on TV, and it interested me enough to buy it. Great flick.

I just bought Top Gun, and am looking forward to watching it. I'm guessing this will fall into the "greater appreciation" category, as I've mostly seen it on TV many, many times in the past, but not recently.

Superman and Superman II are both ones on my "to get" list, and I'll probably grab at least the first one soon. I hear it's a pretty good release.
Old 01-05-05, 10:13 AM

I have a new appreciation for Scarface, due to the fact that the print they usually show on TV is P&S, and is a grainy print.

Also, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Watching it in P&S is a terrifying experience.
Old 01-05-05, 10:20 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Road House

After viewing it on DVD (instead of the countless times it airs Saturday nights on TBS) it deserves to be on the AFI 100.
Old 01-05-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

La Dolce Vita (Medusa)

L'Aventura (Criterion)

Pro-B
Old 01-05-05, 12:03 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say most movies I've bought on DVD, the fact they're in Widescreen makes the world of difference
Old 01-05-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ones that really stick out are Chrismas Vacation and A Christmas story. I must have watched these on TV or on tape or Full Frame DVD 20-30 times. Finally seeing these two movies in Widescreen was great.

I almost never watch movies on TV anymore, unless they are shown in their OAR.
Old 01-05-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
the first two that come to mind are Robocop and Office Space

I loved the Robocop movies growing up, but had never seen the unrated version of the first one. Finally got my hands on the Criterion version and it just was a totally different movie then I remembered, but after some time I remembered why I liked the movie so much. Office Space, I always watched on Comedy Central when it was on there, finally bought the DVD the other day, and just liked it a whole lot more.
Old 01-05-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Road House

After viewing it on DVD (instead of the countless times it airs Saturday nights on TBS) it deserves to be on the AFI 100.
You mean it's not?! That's it, I'm canceling my AFI membership.
Old 01-05-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asianxcore
the first two that come to mind are Robocop and Office Space

I loved the Robocop movies growing up, but had never seen the unrated version of the first one. Finally got my hands on the Criterion version and it just was a totally different movie then I remembered, but after some time I remembered why I liked the movie so much. Office Space, I always watched on Comedy Central when it was on there, finally bought the DVD the other day, and just liked it a whole lot more.

What did you like more about Office Space on DVD? I just watched the DVD for the first time this past weekend (have seen the movie numerous times on regular TV), and while I still love the movie, it didn't seem any different to me.

Stew
Old 01-05-05, 03:11 PM

Recently, I would say Top Gun is newly appreciated with the SE release. Star Wars was wonderful to see in DVD glory, too.
Old 01-05-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another vote for Mad Max, the un-dubbed version was noticably different for sure.
Old 01-05-05, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
Red Dawn is one of my favs. The DVD isn't really that great but it was better than seeing it on TV like I always had to.
The soundtrack in that one sucks. Most hokey sounding gun shots I've ever heard. Especially during the deer hunting scene.
Old 01-05-05, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShagMan
another vote for Mad Max, the un-dubbed version was noticably different for sure.
I've put off getting the Mad Max series for a while, because I'm unsure about the A/V quality of the two sequals. How is the A/V quality of all three?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.