Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs? [merged]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs? [merged]

Old 01-03-05, 12:28 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs?

This came up in another thread, but enough other people said they do it too, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

All of my DVDs that come in digi-paks or boxsets still have the shrink-wrap on them to protect the packaging or cardboard. I just slice the end of the plastic open with a boxknife blade so I can get the disks out.

So, my LOTR: EEs, Star Wars Trilogy, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, first two Harry Potters, etc., all still have shrink-wrap on them.

Who else?
Old 01-03-05, 12:33 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used to with all my vinyl LP's....but not with dvds. looks a little tacky. I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. these can be ordered on-line for about 6 cents each. I also have a buddy custom make a few for the oversized titles. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.
Old 01-03-05, 12:37 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.
I'd like to see a picture of that. I'm picturing a bunch of DVDs in Ziploc bags.
Old 01-03-05, 12:38 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
used to with all my vinyl LP's....but not with dvds. looks a little tacky. I go one step better....and use plastic, resealable sleeves for added protection. my library looks very loved and this explains why my entire collection is in mint shape. these can be ordered on-line for about 6 cents each. I also have a buddy custom make a few for the oversized titles. I have over 1,400 protected now....am still working on the rest.

pic? Just want to see 1400 wrapped dvds

i agree this is the best way to protect the digi's...a good investment
Old 01-03-05, 12:41 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hell, I don't even own a camera...just never seem to grab one. you may want to search for last years NY Times interview thread that I started. they came and took a few pics of the library for the paper, although the one they used was just before I started finally encasing them in the sleeves.

I'm picturing a bunch of DVDs in Ziploc bags.
it looks much better than that, trust me.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-03-05 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 12:42 AM
  #6  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to keep packaging for some things, but it never even occured to me to keep shrinkwrap.
Old 01-03-05, 12:52 AM
  #7  
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Island of Staten
Posts: 1,900
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This came up in another thread, but enough other people said they do it too, so I thought I'd give it its own thread.

All of my DVDs that come in digi-paks or boxsets still have the shrink-wrap on them to protect the packaging or cardboard. I just slice the end of the plastic open with a boxknife blade so I can get the disks out.

So, my LOTR: EEs, Star Wars Trilogy, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, first two Harry Potters, etc., all still have shrink-wrap on them.

Who else?

i do the exact same thing for my box sets and i though i was the only one.
Old 01-03-05, 12:59 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,267
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
hell, I don't even own a camera...just never seem to grab one. you may want to search for last years NY Times interview thread that I started. they came and took a few pics of the library for the paper, although the one they used was just before I started finally encasing them in the sleeves.



it looks much better than that, trust me.
Are these sleeves acid free like the ones they make for comics?

I'm considering practicing safe DVD collecting.
Old 01-03-05, 01:02 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,005
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
i do the exact same thing for my box sets and i though i was the only one.
you're not the only one
Old 01-03-05, 01:11 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 1436 Florence Blvd.
Posts: 2,148
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
you're not the only one
I kept my STGP LE in wrapping, allowing access to the contents, but preventing the case from getting damaged.
Old 01-03-05, 01:23 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Up State NY
Posts: 1,886
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to keep mine in the shrink wrap, but most of the time I rip it more than I want to, so I end up taking it off anyway.

Last edited by cactusoly; 01-03-05 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 01:52 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TC, MI
Posts: 735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep the wrap on my laserdiscs, but not on my DVDs.
Old 01-03-05, 02:24 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,623
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never done this until recently. A couple of years ago, I ordered the R3 Gamera Box Set used from Japan and it came with the shrink-wrap still on the whole of the box (leaving the space open for the DVDs to come out). I thought it was weird at first then thought "I really don't want this box damaged" because it was so damn cool.

Then I got the Definitive Twilight Zone box set and loved the way the outside box looked (The holographic look). I decided to not unwrap that portion to protect it (hopefully). Besides, there's the box within the box to hold the DVDs so if I want to see it unwrapped, I can always pull it out.

Andrew
Old 01-03-05, 02:35 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,790
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do the same thing. My box sets & digipacks all have the shrinkwrap still on them. It's an extra layer of protection and will at least prevent dust if nothing else.
Old 01-03-05, 07:10 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Woodbridge Va.
Posts: 1,267
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i leave them on yes.
Old 01-03-05, 08:03 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,014
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I remove the plastic.
Old 01-03-05, 08:18 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
used to with all my vinyl LP's....
Not a good idea leaving the shrink wrap on LPs as that will tend to cause some of them to warp. Best bet would be to get plastic sleeves that you can insert your LPs' packaging into that have enough room for movement. If interested, try a google search for "lp plastic sleeves" (sans quotes).
Old 01-03-05, 08:28 AM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also do keep the shrinkwrap.
Old 01-03-05, 09:52 AM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not keep the shrinkwrap on, well, I mean, I keep them sealed until I watch them if thats what you mean?
Old 01-03-05, 09:54 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rip it and trash it.
Old 01-03-05, 09:58 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
trammel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 382
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep the shrinkwrap on all of my boxed sets and digipacks too.

It's nice to hear I am not alone.
Old 01-03-05, 10:06 AM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: southern il
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do it too!
Old 01-03-05, 10:18 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkAtHome
Not a good idea leaving the shrink wrap on LPs as that will tend to cause some of them to warp. Best bet would be to get plastic sleeves that you can insert your LPs' packaging into that have enough room for movement. If interested, try a google search for "lp plastic sleeves" (sans quotes).
Yep, I always purchased the plastic laserdisc sleeves from Ken Crane's back in the day. The shrink wrap, well, shrinks over time and begins to put pressure on the cover and disc, bending the corners. I've seen this quite a few times on new laserdiscs which I've purchased from Ebay over the past few years. I actually look for used LD's more than new now for that reason.
Old 01-03-05, 10:34 AM
  #24  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a former record collector i can say that shrink wrap continues to slowly shrink which it why it warped LPs. It will also eventually warp cardboard, labels, plastic, etc. I've bought older DVDs where the case plastic and label were "wavy" from this effect. Unless the shrink wrap is very loose, I'd advise you remove it and use acd-free plastic sleeves if you want additional protection.
Old 01-03-05, 10:42 AM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, without first seeing exactly what you guy's methods look like, this practice sounds kind of silly to me.

I'm also confused as to what you mean by keeping them on your digipacks. What sort of digipaks are you talking about? the 7-disc fold-out ones or what?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.