DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Who leaves the shrink-wrap on their DVDs? [merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/403300-who-leaves-shrink-wrap-their-dvds-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

MEJHarrison 07-07-05 06:33 PM

I don't keep my shrinkwrap, but I think this lady does.

jiggyblau 07-07-05 06:54 PM

nope

bjh_18 07-07-05 07:20 PM

...um, no...

Digital Groove 07-07-05 08:51 PM

No. But I do save the stickers that have some useful information. The criterion stickers that have the fascimlie (sp?) autograph of directors is nice to have.

I do this with cds as well as long as it's something interesting. I like to have it for reference so I can look back on certain albums and see what songs were supposed to be the "eye catchers" or hot songs on said album.

Snowmaker 07-08-05 10:13 PM

Already brought it up earlier this year:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=shrink-wrap

Snowmaker 07-08-05 10:17 PM

Hell, I even did it for my Scrubs season 1, and its got a plastic slip cover.

ranspang 07-09-05 09:40 PM

You guys that keep the shrink wrap are crazy. Nothing looks tackier than a shelf full of anything with the shrink wrap still on.
When I used to collect LP's (vinyl), nothing said newb more than a stack of records with the shrink wrap still on. Warps the records too.
Can't warp dvd's but still looks bad on the shelf.

whotony 07-09-05 11:06 PM

i still have many lp's from over 30 years ag with shrink on them and none are warped.

whotony 07-09-05 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
i too was doing that with lp's starting late 70's up until about 10 years ago when i stopped buying lp's.
still no warped records.
i also wrap a piece of scotch tape around the edges to help keep from ripping.
then did the same with laser discs.

now i do it wth dvd's.
i even use the origional shrink wrap on digipaks that dont have a slip sleeve.
like the all in the family set and fawlty towers.
i just put a little extra piece of tape at the top and bottom to use as a handle for pulling the shrink wrap on and off.

as luck would have it i work at a place that has a shrink wrap machine so i can shrink wrap anything like the disney sets that have a slipcase but no wrap around the outside slipcase.

sldvd 07-09-05 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
as luck would have it i work at a place that has a shrink wrap machine so i can shrink wrap anything like the disney sets that have a slipcase but no wrap around the outside slipcase.

What about DVDs that have a slipcase that surrounds a shrinkwrapped keepcase? Do you shrinkwrap the slipcase so that it now has 2 layers of shrinkwrap?!

whotony 07-10-05 07:12 AM

i know there is a hint of sarcasm there but no, one layer.

as in the previous post i SW the slip case and take the SW off the keep.

i actually like to watch the movies that are in there.

Snowmaker 06-25-06 06:41 PM

Well, I've started liberating some of my digi-pak DVDs from their shrink wrap. My Rush - Replay x3 set from DDD arrived with one corner of the shrink wrap ripped open, so I had no choice but to remove all of it. I then proceeded to do it to all my music/concert DVDs only.

Xbox69 06-25-06 07:21 PM

I keep them shrinkwrapped and with the security stickers too! Quite easy once I got the hang of it and a razor blade does come in handy. Check out the pics these are all empty cases. :D2: The discs themselves I keep in a binder/wallet in protective sleeves. Works with Xbox games as well.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4...mpty2ly.th.jpg

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1...ledx9md.th.jpg

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/553...ecut7xr.th.jpg

PacMan2006 06-25-06 07:55 PM

This makes no sense to me...do you all do it because you think DVD's will be worth big money in 10-20 years? Or you honestly don't like seeing dust on your dvd cases?

I mean, if you take that approach...why don't you just wrap everything you own in plastic?

whotony 06-25-06 08:07 PM

as i stated earlier in this topic i only do it with dvds that have a slip cover.
keeps them cleaner.
no finger prints etc.

slop101 06-25-06 08:20 PM

This is a very disturbing thread.

Seems like your dvd collections own you, instead of the other way around.

When I go for my clinical psychology degree, I'm gonna have to interview the lot of you for research on cases of extreme OCD. :)

whotony 06-25-06 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
This is a very disturbing thread.

Seems like your dvd collections own you, instead of the other way around.

:)

how do you mean?
please elaborate

crabbit 06-25-06 09:52 PM

i take the shrinkwrap off when i watch the dvd. no reason to take it off beforehand, so lots of my dvds still have shrinkwrap on em.

Snowmaker 06-26-06 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
This makes no sense to me...do you all do it because you think DVD's will be worth big money in 10-20 years? Or you honestly don't like seeing dust on your dvd cases?

I do it mainly to help protect the cardboard coverart. I think its better than a scuffed, scratched, fingerprinted cover.

lordwow 06-26-06 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by crabbit
i take the shrinkwrap off when i watch the dvd. no reason to take it off beforehand, so lots of my dvds still have shrinkwrap on em.

Same here, I have quite a few shrink wrapped DVDs on my shelf, but as soon as I'm going to watch something I take it off.

The Void 06-26-06 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I do it mainly to help protect the cardboard coverart. I think its better than a scuffed, scratched, fingerprinted cover.

I did this but decided that it was to obsessive and anal even for me. So I took the plastic off everything. The only box that still has plastic on it is the Alien Quadrilogy simply because that box is a delicate piece of crap and mine actually arrived in mint condition.

I try to be careful with cardboard cases but it's a losing battle. Since I order the majority of my movies online I have a hard time getting boxes that aren't dinged, creased, crushed, or scuffed in some way. Why try to excessively protect a box that already has dinged corners and creases before the shrinkwrap is even cut open. I'll send back a digipack or boxset if the box is very damaged, like the Dazed & Confused Criterion I got recently with the top of the spine smashed down about an inch).

Cases look better on the shelf without shrinkwrap anyway. I think DVDs in general are a terrible investment, so I buy them to watch and enjoy, not admire while they are sitting on a shelf.

benjsimpson 06-29-06 12:13 AM

to those of you who leave the shrinkwrap on....do you also leave the plastic covering on your furniture? Keeps it in good condition that way....

In fact the DVDs would last longer if you never opened them at all!

All I'm saying is that like a doll that is never taken out of it's box...a DVD living cooped up in it's original shrinkwrap can never truly be appreciated.

That is all

whotony 06-29-06 12:17 AM

i guess while your being all funny and smart you are ignoring that no one is saying they keep them sealed and unwatchable.
they leave wrap on the outside of the slipcases and open the inside wrap.
watch dvds

benjsimpson 06-29-06 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Void
I try to be careful with cardboard cases but it's a losing battle. Since I order the majority of my movies online I have a hard time getting boxes that aren't dinged, creased, crushed, or scuffed in some way. Why try to excessively protect a box that already has dinged corners and creases before the shrinkwrap is even cut open.

This reminds me of receiving my Band of Brothers tin box all dinged up...I figured it was cool cos it looked like it had been through a war!

You can't really avoid the odd scratch and ding..so why sweat it

JIF 07-04-06 01:39 PM

Used to keep the shrink wrap on for my VHS movies, but I haven't done this for my DVDs. Since amaray cases have plastic coverings, there was no need.

As for my snapper cases and digipaks, well, all of my DVDs are neatly stacked on shelves, therefore, the cardboard has not pealed due to improper storage.

Even my PANIC ROOM Superbit paper packaging is in excellent condition.