Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Fox Film Noir Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 09:37 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Official Fox Film Noir Thread

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Yes, it's part of Volume I of the Elia Kazan Collection, along with Boomerang (another Fox Noir BD I forgot to mention), Pinky and Gentleman's Agreement. The set is $44.99 and is a Fox Connect exclusive. If you sign up for their newsletter, you receive a 10% off coupon, so I bought Volumes I and II (with Wild River, Viva Zapata, Man on a Tightrope, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) for $80.98 shipped. The transfers are solid, if not spectacular (all are single layer, even for the longer films, and none have had any further restoration) and all of the extras have been ported over. They're definitely worth it for Kazan fans - I watched all eight over a couple of days and really enjoyed them. Well, all but Gentleman's Agreement...
I've been dying to get a hold of the films in that volume 2 collection. I dont know why they havent released these on their own. Are these not on DVD, only on bluray?
Old 10-14-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yes, it's part of Volume I of the Elia Kazan Collection, along with Boomerang (another Fox Noir BD I forgot to mention), Pinky and Gentleman's Agreement. The set is $44.99 and is a Fox Connect exclusive. If you sign up for their newsletter, you receive a 10% off coupon, so I bought Volumes I and II (with Wild River, Viva Zapata, Man on a Tightrope, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) for $80.98 shipped. The transfers are solid, if not spectacular (all are single layer, even for the longer films, and none have had any further restoration) and all of the extras have been ported over. They're definitely worth it for Kazan fans - I watched all eight over a couple of days and really enjoyed them. Well, all but Gentleman's Agreement...
Thank you!
Old 10-29-12, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, it's part of Volume I of the Elia Kazan Collection...
Is there anything coming to Blu that wasn't in the Kazan DVD boxset from a few years ago..?
Old 11-02-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years too late, but can anyone who has seen Road House explain to me how Cornel Wilde
Spoiler:
can be found guilty of theft when he doesn't have a penny on him (or anywhere else) other than the $600 he mentioned in the note, a note that was produced at the police station? Isn't that like finding someone guilty of murder without producing a body? Also, he didn't run from the police and had no prior record. Wouldn't it just be Widmark's word against his? And why didn't Wilde explain the circumstances, which would immediately have shifted the suspicion completely to Widmark? It's not like he was trying to protect the reputation of a friend or anything. I was so irked by all of this that I could barely finish the film.
Old 11-02-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years too late, but can anyone who has seen Road House explain to me how Cornel Wilde
Spoiler:
can be found guilty of theft when he doesn't have a penny on him (or anywhere else) other than the $600 he mentioned in the note, a note that was produced at the police station? Isn't that like finding someone guilty of murder without producing a body? Also, he didn't run from the police and had no prior record. Wouldn't it just be Widmark's word against his? And why didn't Wilde explain the circumstances, which would immediately have shifted the suspicion completely to Widmark? It's not like he was trying to protect the reputation of a friend or anything. I was so irked by all of this that I could barely finish the film.
I will try to watch this again and get back to you. Maybe it would have screwed the script up.
Old 11-02-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Can you guys tell me anything about this?

Old 11-03-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Can you guys tell me anything about this?

I've seen three of the four:

ROPE OF SAND (1949) is a blatant CASABLANCA rip-off. Fun to see Burt Lancaster in an early adventure role, but it's not film noir. Three of the CASABLANCA cast (Rains, Henreid, Lorre) are in it.

DARK CITY (1950) is Charlton Heston's debut film. He plays a gambler and is quite good in that era before he became "Charlton Heston." It's got Lizabeth Scott as leading lady, always a good thing. Future "Dragnet" co-stars Jack Webb and Harry Morgan are in it. A good one.

APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (1951) stars Alan Ladd as a postal inspector in Indiana. Unusual locale for a crime film. Great villains including, again, future "Dragnet" co-stars Jack Webb and Harry Morgan. Webb's a really bad guy--you should see what he does to Morgan.

UNION STATION (1950) has a good rep, but I still haven't seen it.
Old 11-03-12, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have Netflix, all four films on that collection are available to watch instantly.

The only one that I have seen is Rope of Sand. I agree with Ash that it's not noir, and it's not very good.
Old 02-21-13, 07:20 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

For anyone who never picked up Boomerang DVD from Fox Noir program.
Walmart.com has a closeout on it for $3.00
It is currently in stock.
I'd appreciate it if you don't post it to the bargain side of this site as I want people who love the Fox Noir series to be able to get it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4902058

Last edited by g; 02-21-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!