Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of dvd's shown excessively on TV.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Getting rid of dvd's shown excessively on TV.

Old 12-28-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why would anyone watch a movie on tv? Edited? Check. Pan & Scan? Check. Commercials? Check.

I'll pass, instead I might pop in the movie on dvd if I have the urge.
Old 12-28-04, 08:54 PM
Banned

Folks, I think we have our nomination and perhaps winner for the Most Pointless Thread of 2004.

Seriously, when I see how bad TV broadcasts butcher films in either OAR, editing, and sound, it makes me GLAD I own the DVD.

In fact, a lot of the TV Shows on DVD sets have their episodes longer than the original TV broadcasts.

When it comes to movies, there's no comparison. I can't stand to watch any movie now that's not OAR. Which begs to differ why anybody in their right mind would buy a Foolscreen DVD.

I do have and still watch a lot of TV. Mostly news. Very few other programs. I'll turn on the History Channel from time to time. Watch a boxing match on a pay channel from time to time. But my TV stays on Fox News most of the day. Can't get enough of that right-wing indoctrination stuff, ya know...
Old 12-28-04, 09:36 PM

I just got rid of Rudy and Remember the Titans. They are on Tv all the time so why do I need to own them. I also won't buy Seinfield it's on 3 different times 5 days a week. That's enough for me.
Old 12-29-04, 04:38 PM

I certainly don't, but my mother will buy a DVD, leave it unopened, and just watch the movie the next time it comes on cable, commercials and all. I still can't figure that one out.
Old 12-29-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thought never even entered my mind
Old 12-29-04, 05:04 PM
Banned

Ever notice how with stupid threads like this, the original poster never returns?
Old 12-29-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taronga
I certainly don't, but my mother will buy a DVD, leave it unopened, and just watch the movie the next time it comes on cable, commercials and all. I still can't figure that one out.
My wife does that too. Look, Harry Potter is on.
Um, we have the WS DVD right in there, two feet away from the 60" tv.
'I'll just watch it here'. on the 21 inch 4:3 tv. Then again, her family has had the tv on for 'background noise' for quite some time, which I never do. At least turn it to a music channel if you're going to do that.
Old 12-29-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. The better your set and DVD player is, the more glaring the deficiencies of regular TV is, be it cable or dish.....on an HDTV it looks waaay soft, like watching tape. I've been on vacation all this week and the total of my broadcast viewing was Miracle Of The Bells on Christmas morning. My station watching is limited; I watch TCM, The History Channel, sports. I tend to get the news on the net or the newspaper. Hell, I did without network channels for the last 10 years until a month ago, and even at that it was to watch the Oscars and NBA games. People ask me if I've seen this commercial or that commercial and I look at 'em with a blank face.....if it isn't sports related I don't see it I've been keeping HBO for boxing but am tempted to drop that as well in the next month or so. The last thing I would do is get rid of DVDs simply because they show the movie on television often.

Last edited by nightmaster; 12-29-04 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
My wife does that too. Look, Harry Potter is on.
Um, we have the WS DVD right in there, two feet away from the 60" tv.
'I'll just watch it here'. on the 21 inch 4:3 tv. Then again, her family has had the tv on for 'background noise' for quite some time, which I never do. At least turn it to a music channel if you're going to do that.
There are TONS Of people who can't stand a quiet house and they turn on the TV for noise or to keep them company. If I start dating someone and I see this habit in her makeup I run for the hills. Yeah, I'm addicted to movies, but I get to pick what I watch and when I watch- and if the set is off all night thats fine too. People who use their TVs as company have them going from the time they get home to the time they go to bed..... it's a creepy addiction and I'm betting that half the country has it.
Old 12-29-04, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nightmaster
There are TONS Of people who can't stand a quiet house and they turn on the TV for noise or to keep them company. If I start dating someone and I see this habit in her makeup I run for the hills. Yeah, I'm addicted to movies, but I get to pick what I watch and when I watch- and if the set is off all night thats fine too. People who use their TVs as company have them going from the time they get home to the time they go to bed..... it's a creepy addiction and I'm betting that half the country has it.
I have a friend that does that. Leaves the set on all night when he sleeps just for the sound! But what gets me is the constant flicker of the light that it puts off. On the other hand, I need complete silence as I'm a relatively light sleeper. Even a fan is too much.

However, during the day, and if I'm not needing to concentrate on something important, I need the TV on for what I like to call, "the window into the world".
Old 12-29-04, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by orangeguy
I just got rid of Rudy and Remember the Titans. They are on Tv all the time so why do I need to own them. I also won't buy Seinfield it's on 3 different times 5 days a week. That's enough for me.
That sentiment is also quite prevalent on the TrekBBS concerning Trek sets. Especially with TNG which at the time was airing quite a bit on TNN/Spike.

My argument against the sentiment is that with broadcast TV and optional VHS recordings is that you get far less quality. Why would someone hold onto their VHS tapes with their over-whelming 240i lines of resolution with at best, hi-fi sound, when you can get DVD with 480p with 5.1 sound?
Old 12-29-04, 10:44 PM

I don't have much interest in buying DVDs of TV shows that are on all the time. Right now, I can see shows like Seinfeld, The Simpsons and Friends several times a night.

But I have no interest anymore in watching movies on TV, which is one reason why I downgraded to basic cable. I don't need cable channels that show movies. I prefer seeing them uncut, unedited, without commercials, in OAR and in better picture and sound quality via DVD.
Old 12-30-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't have much interest in buying DVDs of TV shows that are on all the time. Right now, I can see shows like Seinfeld, The Simpsons and Friends several times a night.

But I have no interest anymore in watching movies on TV, which is one reason why I downgraded to basic cable. I don't need cable channels that show movies. I prefer seeing them uncut, unedited, without commercials, in OAR and in better picture and sound quality via DVD.
That's why when I watch movies on television, I almost always watch them on Turner Classic Movies. And if it's a pre-widescreen-era movie, the sound and picture really isn't that different from DVD -- a bit lower quality, but nothing dramatically different.
Old 12-30-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Network TV showings of movies are junky - with its commercials, pan-and-scan hacking of movies, 2.0 sound, compressed playback length, signal interference, station logos, news updates, lotto numbers, etc.

Most DVDs present the movies in a beautiful fasion.

Tho' I must admit many of my DVD purchases have been based on stuff which caught my eye on network television.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 12-30-04 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 03:25 PM
Banned

Ya, I like watching the DVD version of the movie if possible. Like many people have been saying, Uncut, No Commericals, WS, etc. and the quality is way better, (I dont have HDTV..)