Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any chance of the Toy Box being released again?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-23-04, 01:48 PM
Banned

With all the talk that Disney wants to make a "Toy Story 3", it had me thinking. Any chance we'll see "The Ultimate Toy Box" released again to the public? With both "Toy Story" movies OOP, isn't it only a matter of time before it becomes available again?
Old 12-23-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dalvin
With all the talk that Disney wants to make a "Toy Story 3", it had me thinking. Any chance we'll see "The Ultimate Toy Box" released again to the public? With both "Toy Story" movies OOP, isn't it only a matter of time before it becomes available again?
I would bet the house that they will come back again, but the extras may not.

Despite how much I could get for my set, my thinking is that it's unlikely the extras the box contains will ever be seen again. They'll come up with new extras, dumb games and the like, instead of the awesome content of the first release. In fact, extras wise, I would say each Pixar disc since the Toy Box has been slighty getting worse. Way too many games and short featurettes rather than the awesome stuff on the Toy Box and Bug's Life discs.
Old 12-23-04, 02:07 PM
Banned

wouldn't it be cheaper to just re-release them instead of coming up with new extras that most film buffs coulld care less about. If it ever hits market again, with everything the way it was the first time around, I will definetly be picking this up. I am kicking myself for only picking up the 2-Pack now, when I can vividly see in my mind, "The Toy Box" right next to it. AGHHHH
Old 12-23-04, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dalvin
wouldn't it be cheaper to just re-release them instead of coming up with new extras that most film buffs coulld care less about. If it ever hits market again, with everything the way it was the first time around, I will definetly be picking this up. I am kicking myself for only picking up the 2-Pack now, when I can vividly see in my mind, "The Toy Box" right next to it. AGHHHH
What would be cheaper is to release the two pack or single disc versions again, either way, I doubt we get another release that doesn't lose extras.
Old 12-23-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't know that disney has ever broken a vault date. The dvd life is at least seven years...since they went OOP in 2003 that means 2010 for a new disc....however who knows if and when Toy Story 3 will actually happen.

Wish they would....i have the 2 movie disc...robbery took my toy box, got the last i could find before vault closing....haven't had the cash to shell out for the box again
Old 12-23-04, 04:16 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the new format of disks coming out, I'm sure there will be another decent release down the road.
Old 12-23-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, maybe there will be a Blu-Ray Toy Box in a couple years.
Old 12-23-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There will probably be individual releases when the new format takes hold. I doubt they'll want to create another Toy Box, though. It's anamorphic and looks damn good.
Old 12-23-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
There will probably be individual releases when the new format takes hold. I doubt they'll want to create another Toy Box, though. It's anamorphic and looks damn good.
My thoughts exactly.
The picture on both movies are stunning and were produced in the digital domain (no analog degradation).
I imagine them being re-released, perhaps in the HD format, but packaged individually instead of a Toy Box version.
Old 12-23-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i was an idiot and put my two pack up on half before looking on ebay. it sold that day for $50. i was curious and checked ebay and saw they were going for almost twice that.
Old 12-23-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well iam quite sure that a new set will be out next year celebrating the 10th anniversery of the first one.
Old 12-24-04, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since Disney and Pixar are not working together after this summers "Cars" I doubt Toy Story 3 will happen, unless Pixar owns the rights to the franchise. That said, it will come back out eventually, but I agree, no Toy Boy - just regular editions.
Old 12-24-04, 03:50 PM

disney owns the rights
Old 12-24-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

disney also owns all the charachters...they can do anything they want with any of the Pixar disney titles to date....how about a new monsters inc or finding nemo again....it all could happen

for those who think they would never do it....jungle book 2 after how many years.....and we all know disney will change voice actors on a dime....robin williams comes to mind.

call disney tell em its a bad idea
Old 03-24-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I've been wondering about this recently. Can anyone go into further detail about this vault thing. I know they put the titles in there and they are no longer being produced, but is it definitive? Is there a certain ammount of time things need to stay in there. I have the Toy Box, but I'm not enamored over it. I'd gladly sell it and downgrade to whatever future releases there are for the cash that the box would bring in.
Old 03-24-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A quick Run Down on the Disney Vault...

The way it works...Ten Platinum titles

These will be released twice a year until 2007. They are available at retail for about a year at a time. When they go OOP, you will not see them again for 5 years (originally 10 years on vhs)...as of right now, they have given no wiggle room. I have also heard it said that seven year vaulting for other titles like Toy Story, and Pinocchio...however since these have not been scheduled for a re-release, its all up in the air. The article below can give you a full run down on all things disney dvd...check it out.

from Ultimate Disney (the full article)

On May 1, 2003, Disney announced a change in their release schedule for the Platinum Collection. Previously, Disney released one Platinum Edition DVD set a year (each fall) and put the title on moratorium the end of the following January, where it would remain for ten years. Their new plan calls for TWO Platinum Edition DVD sets a year (one in March, one in October), so that all original 10 titles will be released by the fall of 2007, which some forecast as the time when the next home video format (high-definition DVD) may truly begin to flourish. In addition, the moratorium periods will now be just five years.
Old 03-24-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A quick Run Down on the Disney Vault...

The way it works...Ten Platinum titles

These will be released twice a year until 2007. They are available at retail for about a year at a time. When they go OOP, you will not see them again for 5 years (originally 10 years on vhs).
umm i asked this question alot but iam gonna ask it until someone answers me...why do thay do that?! i mean why do they stop aking them for 5 years? then release them back? what's the benefit? or is it a rule or what?

Last edited by animatedude; 03-24-05 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Because demand slows down. So they cut off the supply and then the demand goes up. They rerelease it and sales are huge.

Supply and demand, that's your answer.
Old 03-25-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i posted this in another thread....it should help clear up your questions

Originally Posted by animatedude
i wonder why Disney put em in the vault..why do they do that now?can someone explain this to me?
Originally Posted by Cameron
It is marketing. It always keep people wanting your product. When you have the vast library that Disney does, you can afford to release slowly. Take Aladdin. You start by using commercials....radio ads, tv, internet...you then crank up a new video of classic song like a whole new world by a hot new artist "Jessica Simpson" on disney channel. You do special promos at the theme parks celebrating the movie... You run the movie on ABC's wonderful world of disney the week before it comes out, so all the kids who just saw it are asking mom and dad for it...then when they get their new dvd you have trailers for the sequels available a little later....also you will find a new batch of toys at the disney store, and clothing all over....sell, sell, sell

fast forward a year, and you start promtoting, last time to own for seven years. with new commercials...you then start fresh with a new title....

it works....and the people who miss the boat end up paying double MSRP on ebay for it....people always want what they can't have....disney has embraced this...and made alot of cash
Old 03-28-05, 02:33 AM
Banned

I bought a sealed copy of the Toy Box but I never opened it.

I don't think I will ever open it knowing that is has value.
Old 03-28-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene

I would imagine that value will fall, or stay leveled off whenever it is re-released or comes out on another format...

open it up...enjoy it...its a great dvd set.
Old 03-28-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah it cant keep its value forever (though certain LDs have). Not saying to open it, but dont plan on keeping it forever,
Old 03-28-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope they rerelease them each in a 2-disk SE
Old 03-28-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene

Spoken like a true lover of the Toy Story films!