Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What format do you think the Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince DVD will be released in?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What format do you think the Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince DVD will be released in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Whether or not there is a format war has nothing to do with players being backward compatible. Simply put, any manufacturer that releases an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player that won't play current DVDs will never sell a single player.

You can be very certain that all of the players released during the "format war" will be backward compatible.
Absolutely!

Not only are they backwards compatible, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some of the new HD players, probably not the first batch, being given much better internal scaling for upconverting regular dvds.
Old 12-22-04, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could care less if my hd-dvd or blu-ray player can play dvds. in fact i'd prefer it can't just to reduce the costs. my dvd player will most likely have a better deinterlacer and picture quality than any combo player will ever have.
Old 12-22-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubix
i could care less if my hd-dvd or blu-ray player can play dvds. in fact i'd prefer it can't just to reduce the costs. my dvd player will most likely have a better deinterlacer and picture quality than any combo player will ever have.
That scales to both 720p/1080i without the macro problems? The 'upcoming' Denon 5910 sounds like the best dvd player to get in terms of internal scaling. It uses the Realta chip which originates from Teranex’s $60,000 broadcast and post-production platforms. That is the kind of scaling I expect to see for dvd on any new format a few years down the road.

First NEC HD-dvd drive

I can't wait to buy either this or blue-ray. Hopefully one of them steps down.
Old 12-22-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rubix
OK, I stand corrected. They will sell one non-backward-compatible player. But for the OVERWHELMING majority of consumers, the notion of having separate players for DVDs and HD-DVDs is so patently absurd that it is not even worth considering from the perspective of hardware manufacturers.

Simply put, if they want their format of choice to stand any kind of a chance of succeeding, they will include backward compatibility. Either the first generation of players will play current DVDs, or there will likely be no second generation.
Old 12-22-04, 07:19 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Exactly! It won't be a replacement just a gradual upgrade. AND I say it any time this frigging topic comes up, if you cannot see the difference between SD and HD then you are
a. imagining that it is not there or
b. blind

HD is the future, not a niche.
Completely agreed. Will any of you be buying DVDs when HDTV becomes a common thing? I bet there are people like me who will stop investing into DVD technology even with a couple of HDTV constant and true broadcasters available (considering that their number will be gradually and logically growing, thus, forcing out conventional TV). Well, you sure have right to continue with DVDs, but, hey, leaving alone any videophilism, you should be completely "downconverted".

Last edited by Pelayu; 12-22-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I demand high-definition CED Videodiscs!
Old 12-22-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I demand high-definition CED Videodiscs!
Now there's idea whose time has come... and gone! Waaaaay gone!
Old 12-22-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good comparison might be CD Rom vs DVD Rom. Even though almost everyone has a DVD Rom now (and has for many years), and the technology is far superior, most game companys will release their games on 4 cds instead of a DVD Rom. They fear people will get confused and don't want to upset those without a DVD Rom. They started getting better this year though...

In the UK though, they've had DVD Rom discs popular for a long while.
Old 12-22-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, another thread on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. I just want the new technology to come out so people can stop 'predicting' what will happen with it and actually talk about a DVD in a DVDTalk thread.

And to the OP, who really cares? It will come out on the format(s) that are succeeding at the time.
Old 12-23-04, 12:03 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Exactly! It won't be a replacement just a gradual upgrade. AND I say it any time this frigging topic comes up, if you cannot see the difference between SD and HD then you are
a. imagining that it is not there or
b. blind

HD is the future, not a niche.
It remains to be seen if it will catch on in the mainstream anytime soon though. A lot of people can see the difference, but just don't care enough to shell out the $$$. Hell, I'm probably more picky than joe six pack, and I really don't care. HDTV looks great, but I'm fine with my non-HD DirecTV and DVDs. I'm not going to buy a new TV just for a sharper picture.

I'll get an HDTV when my current set craps out, if (and only if) their prices are about the same as non-HD sets are now. I'm not willing to pay more for a better picture as I'm not a videophile and the current resolution is fine for me. I care more about the content of my shows, movies and games than having a better picture. So I'll get an HD set eventually, and will start buying HDDVDs then. I doubt I'll upgrade many releases, probably just Star Wars and LOTR.

That said, I'm sure the average people buying TV's at wal-mart care even less than me. Thus for HDTV to catch on totally they'll probably have to just quit making regular sets so when Joe six packs current sets break they have to buy one. That or totally offer no non hd programming on cable, satellite or broadcast.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-23-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I bought a HDTV before dvi was common. Technology is like that and should be expected. A class action lawsuit for what exactly??? That is like saying I'm going to sue the industry because I bought a dvd player the month before they released progressive scanning units. (which I also did ...doh!) The next big thing after the new format(s) come out will probably be 1080p as well.

Dvds will be compatible with both formats and I don't see them allowing connections other than hdmi or dvi right now, but we will have to wait and see.
I think what he is saying is that those of ust that have HDTVs without the DVI port will be screwed if HDDVD forces the use of said connector only. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit since it is technologically possible to transmit an HD signal over component, the studios want to do it to protect intellectual property rights.
Old 12-23-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It remains to be seen if it will catch on in the mainstream anytime soon though. A lot of people can see the difference, but just don't care enough to shell out the $$$. Hell, I'm probably more picky than joe six pack, and I really don't care. HDTV looks great, but I'm fine with my non-HD DirecTV and DVDs. I'm not going to buy a new TV just for a sharper picture.
HDTV is not being aimed square in the face of J6P. WalMarts across the land now have huge setups of HDTVs.

I'll get an HDTV when my current set craps out, if (and only if) their prices are about the same as non-HD sets are now. I'm not willing to pay more for a better picture as I'm not a videophile and the current resolution is fine for me. I care more about the content of my shows, movies and games than having a better picture. So I'll get an HD set eventually, and will start buying HDDVDs then. I doubt I'll upgrade many releases, probably just Star Wars and LOTR.
The PQ of a movie or show is a huge part of the content. Come on Josh, HD is good! It is your friend!

That said, I'm sure the average people buying TV's at wal-mart care even less than me. Thus for HDTV to catch on totally they'll probably have to just quit making regular sets so when Joe six packs current sets break they have to buy one. That or totally offer no non hd programming on cable, satellite or broadcast.
The price of regular TVs has come down, but HDs have come down drastically. Hell why would someone looking for a TV for their LR spend $300-$400 on a decent SD set when they can get a similar sized HD set for $100-$200 more? I saw a 56" HD at Wally for $999. As I said before in similar topics, this year is the turning point for HD just like 2000 was the turning point for DVD into the mainstream.
Old 12-23-04, 10:51 PM
Retired

PQ only effects the content when it is bad enough to distract me. Don't get me wrong, HDTV impresses me but I'm not a videophile so I just am really indifferent toward it.

I like movies and tv shows, not technology. I'll get one when either my current set craps out, or I get out of apartments and into a house and have room and money for a big screen.

And there are multiple reasons people wouldn't shell out the extra $$$ for HDTV's right now. For one, to some people $100-200 more is a lot of money. For another, there's not much programming in HDTV right now, and what's available is usually costs more than standard cable and satellite (HDTV broadcast channels aside). So those factor heavily in the Joe Six Pack mind.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-23-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Hey! STOP IT WITH THE LASER DISK BASHING!!

I still have like 600 pounds of those things!!