DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Vertigo - something bad has happened...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foad
Is your's ok?
I watched the ending scene from Ghostbusters and two scenes from My Fair Lady last night. Both discs played without any problems.

BTW, it's amazing how few posts (one to be exact) have addressed the suggestion I made earlier that perhaps the studios intentionally manufactured these discs so that they would be unplayable after a certain period of time. Hmmmm.
Old 12-21-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My orange Vertigo died a year ago.....
which I never got to watch the DVD.....

saw the documentary etc,
but after a few months or so holding it off,
when i decided to sit and watch the DVD itself.....
oh well.
Old 12-21-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
My orange Vertigo died a year ago.....
which I never got to watch the DVD.....

saw the documentary etc,
but after a few months or so holding it off,
when i decided to sit and watch the DVD itself.....
oh well.
Don't let it end with "oh well." Contact Universal and ask for a replacement disc. They are very cooperative in these cases. The Digital Bits has contact information.
Old 12-21-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Duality
BTW, it's amazing how few posts (one to be exact) have addressed the suggestion I made earlier that perhaps the studios intentionally manufactured these discs so that they would be unplayable after a certain period of time. Hmmmm.
It's one thing to not use the best material from the beginning. Such as the New York Times reporting that for about 1 cent additional cost per disc that the industry could be using a much much much more scratch resistant disc material than the stuff being used now.

It is quite another thing to suggest that corporations knowingly use materials that fail after a certain period of time.

The latter will cost executives their jobs and careers and the corporation untold millions of dollars in lawsuits.

That's why.
Old 12-21-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
It's one thing to not use the best material from the beginning. Such as the New York Times reporting that for about 1 cent additional cost per disc that the industry could be using a much much much more scratch resistant disc material than the stuff being used now.

It is quite another thing to suggest that corporations knowingly use materials that fail after a certain period of time.

The latter will cost executives their jobs and careers and the corporation untold millions of dollars in lawsuits.

That's why.
Wow! I didn't know about the NYT article and the scratch resistant issue. Thanks. As for experimenting with materials that would make a disc unplayable resulting in job losses and lawsuits, that would be the case if it were *discovered*. As it stands now, the studios and even some retailers are happily replacing these discs that stop playing. Furthermore, most consumers are assuming it is a manufacturing error.

I guess what is causing me a bit of distress is the fact that if disc failure affects one of my OOP discs I believe compensation will be difficult to obtain.