Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question For Netflix Users

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question For Netflix Users

Hi all- does anyone ever get mindblock deciding which titles they want coming or in making up their queue? At times it seems like I can add half a dozen I'd like to see and other times I'm at a loss as to what I want to see next......

Last edited by nightmaster; 12-19-04 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-19-04, 09:40 AM

I had the same problems, sometimes I would know exactly what I want to see and other times was clueless. I no longer am a subscriber to NetFlix because I was not getting my monies worth, which was my own fault not NetFlix's fault.
Old 12-19-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just don't rent anymore...dvds can be found so cheap and resold if needed for a profit...you just have to shop around
Old 12-19-04, 11:30 AM

I have no problem finding movies to watch. I currently have 226 in my queue. The only problem I have sometimes is deciding which ones I want to see next.
Old 12-19-04, 09:26 PM

I have no problems keeping my queue full, I have over 300 titles in mine.
Old 12-19-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've got 274 in my que so, my que pretty much stays full.
Old 12-19-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The selection of Netflix combined with the ease of an always-on internet connection means whenever I think of something I even want to consider watching, I go put it on my queue. Like DaveCole says, the tough question is deciding what to watch next.
There's definitely the option of buy-and-resell, but I watch a lot of tv series and anime, which are in general not found all that inexpensively. I have been pruning the collection a bit, both by selling stuff and not buying as much in the first place, but I definitely get my use out of netflix.
My queue currently has 159 disks on it; some of which have been juggled around and never make it to the top, some of which probably never will. But it works out.
Old 12-19-04, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried the "recommend" feature. I've found some decent ones that way... of course there were others that were a complete waste of time and the recommendation was WAY off
Old 12-19-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
netflix hasn't recommended a lot to me, but when they do recommend something, they've been right about 80-90% of the time. The more things you rate, the better the recommendations will be.
Old 12-19-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I usually keep a few TV titles on my que in case I have no idea what kind of movie im in the mood for.
Old 12-19-04, 10:52 PM

I thought I had a huge amount at 137, but 300 that a lot. Sometimes I have a tough choice because there are many films I need to see from American pre 1950, post 1950, foreign, and current releases.

Recently, since, I'm eagerly anticipating Martin Scorsese's The Aviator, I am renting a few Scorsese films I have not seen like The King of Comedy, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Cape Fear.
Old 12-20-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can honestly say I've never had this problem. I watch at least 3-4 Netflix rentals a week, and keep around 250-300 movies in my queue at any given time, and it seems that I can never catch up on everything I want to see!

I usually get on particular kicks... recently I went on a "gialli bender", and before that was "all noir, all the time". If ever I'm looking for a little something different, I'll surf over to DVD sites like Mondo Digital, Eccentric, DVD Maniacs, or the Gline and see what's new and strange.
Old 12-20-04, 04:14 PM
Banned

I have 259 Titles, Never a problem for me to find something
Old 12-20-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a good deal of television, also, and that can eat up a queue pretty quickly (when one title can take up four to ten slots).

For me, there are also a whole mess of classic movies I never got around to seeing, so I've got quite a few of those titles in my queue.
Old 12-20-04, 04:22 PM

I have so much dvds on que that I have to delete some now before I add some more. I think the limit is 500. But yeah, and also what's cool is sometimes you notice your dvd watching trend in your queue. Some leftovers from where you were totally into something, like I got a couple of anime stuff, Stephen Chow movies and noir movies I have to get back into. Right now I'm into a lot of TV on dvd stuff.

Actually I wish, they would have a random dvd generator, so that what you get is a suprise, from your queue atleast.
Old 12-20-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
The queue limit is 500 because I am usually at that level, zerotl. And like you said as well, I can see from my queue the various phases that I have gone through based on leftovers.

And now for something completely different: Does anyone else sometimes agonize over what to rate your movies? I know that often I can't really make a decision on what I want to rate a film. I think it would be easier if we were allowed to give 1/2 stars. I especially have a problem when I watch a movie that is obviously a very bad movie but I really enjoyed watching it BECAUSE it was such a bad movie. Do you rate it high just because it was so awful it was amusing or funny or do you slam it because, well, after all, it's a steaming pile of shit?
Old 12-20-04, 05:26 PM

I generally try to rate movies as soon after watching them as I can. 4 and 5 go to those movies that I want to eventually purchase (sometimes 3s will too), 2 and 3 are mainly those that I enjoyed but don't really feel the need to see again/soon, 1 is the "why did I waste my time on this" category 1/2 stars would be helpful but most of the time I use the quality of the DVD (presentation and bonus features) as the final deciding factor.
Old 12-20-04, 05:36 PM

I have 322 in my Queue.I usually see what other people are watching on forums and movies that are on people's favorite lists.
Old 12-20-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually have over 100 in my queue, but alot of times I look at the titles there and nothing jumps out at me as being a MUST see in the present, which is why I asked if others have any trouble with their own selections.
Regarding the ratings, I have the same problem mentioned above. I noticed not long ago that a few movies were recommended to me in spite of the fact I only gave the reference movies they based the recommendations on three stars, so nowadays if I don't like a movie I'll go lower; I don't want recommendations based on movies I don't like, after all!
Old 12-20-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the moment my queue is at 474... So I really can't relate, but when I first opened it I did have that problem.
Old 12-20-04, 07:20 PM

I only have 50 some odd films on my queue... but I have a further question for the people with 200 - 500 in their queues. What were the last 5-10 films that you received, and what did you rate them?

The only time I have felt that I wasn't getting my money's worth from NetFlix was when we got stuck in a NetFlix doldrums... in other words had three films out that we didn't want to watch, right now... and hung on to them for several weeks, hoping we would be in the right mood.
Old 12-20-04, 09:50 PM

The only time I have felt that I wasn't getting my money's worth from NetFlix was when we got stuck in a NetFlix doldrums... in other words had three films out that we didn't want to watch, right now... and hung on to them for several weeks, hoping we would be in the right mood.
I've never really run into that problem... I pretty much watch a movie a night and w/ the 5 out plan I pretty much always have a new movie on hand
Old 12-20-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
I've never really run into that problem... I pretty much watch a movie a night and w/ the 5 out plan I pretty much always have a new movie on hand
Same here.....once a movie arrives it's not going to sit until I get in a mood for it. I realise the way they make their profit is rentals that do sit for a few days waiting to be watched, but I'm just not one of those contributors