Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Miami Vice Season 1 DVD question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 05:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami Vice Season 1 DVD question

My favorite 80's show Miami Vice hits DVD on February 8th but does anyone know if they are keeping all the music? The music is critical for the show's style and I won't buy it if they change a thing!!
Old 12-18-04, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by btm5540
My favorite 80's show Miami Vice hits DVD on February 8th but does anyone know if they are keeping all the music? The music is critical for the show's style and I won't buy it if they change a thing!!
They are keeping all the music, at least that is what every website is reporting.
Old 12-18-04, 07:30 PM

Miami Vice Music

Yes Universal was able to get all of the rights to the music for MV. This was the hold up of MV getting released on dvd
Old 12-18-04, 07:39 PM

At least for Season 1... With Universal's track record this past month, I'm beginning to wonder about future sets.

It looks like they may be pricing the set accordingly for music rights at 89.99 SRP

fitprod
Old 12-18-04, 07:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I was actually surprised that they secured the music rights. Seems this never happens these days.
Old 12-18-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This thread has some answers..
Old 12-19-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joshl1018
Yes Universal was able to get all of the rights to the music for MV. This was the hold up of MV getting released on dvd
No, it wasn't.
Old 12-19-04, 08:53 AM

I am very happy to hear that they got the rights to all of the music, I agree that the music was a crucial part of the shows style and cutting edge nature at that time.
Old 12-19-04, 08:54 AM

I am very happy to hear that they got the rights to all of the music, I agree that the music was a crucial part of the shows style and cutting edge nature at that time. I will definitely will be picking up the set now. That was one concern that was holding me back from buying it when it came out.
Old 12-19-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitprod
At least for Season 1... With Universal's track record this past month, I'm beginning to wonder about future sets.

It looks like they may be pricing the set accordingly for music rights at 89.99 SRP

fitprod
If they release only one season for that price point, and try to maintain it, I'll bet it doesn't sell to a mass market. Only true fans and collectors would pay that much. I won't pay that much when I can watch reruns.
Old 12-19-04, 02:23 PM

Wow! thats an expensive set alright! but if I was a fan price maters not
Old 12-19-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Seems like fans are never happy...Universal removes music to keep a TV set at a reasonable price point and people complain. Universal pays through the nose to keep the original music and has to up the price to cover the costs, and fans complain. You can't have it both ways guys - you either want the episodes cheap or you want them as originally seen. If Miami Vice doesn't sell, don't expect Universal to pay for music rights again on a TV release - ever. On the other hand, if it sells well, expect Universal to do their best to secure music rights...but expect the cost to be reflected in the retail price.
Old 12-20-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Seems like fans are never happy...Universal removes music to keep a TV set at a reasonable price point and people complain. Universal pays through the nose to keep the original music and has to up the price to cover the costs, and fans complain. You can't have it both ways guys - you either want the episodes cheap or you want them as originally seen.
Sounds like the DVD collectors that complain about other regions getting kickass packaging while we get....amarays. Then they complain when a studio tries something different.
Old 12-20-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Seems like fans are never happy...Universal removes music to keep a TV set at a reasonable price point and people complain. Universal pays through the nose to keep the original music and has to up the price to cover the costs, and fans complain. You can't have it both ways guys - you either want the episodes cheap or you want them as originally seen. If Miami Vice doesn't sell, don't expect Universal to pay for music rights again on a TV release - ever. On the other hand, if it sells well, expect Universal to do their best to secure music rights...but expect the cost to be reflected in the retail price.
You are welcome to send Universal more than they are asking, giving them incentive to raise the price even higher. Can't recall how many seasons are going to be available but at $90 I predict it won't sell. Even with "music rights" is that a reasonable price? I don't think so. Not many people will pay that hefty fee even with "original music" so do you want it to sell enough for Universal to continue, or would you prefer it die on the vine?

BUT, I went back to http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2411 and see the SRP is $59.99 not $89.99. With the typical discounts that should make it affordable.
Old 12-20-04, 01:31 PM

Whoops, sorry, I though it was $89.99...

Considering Universal's track record, that $59.99 price point makes me somewhat nervous about the music rights for the future sets.

fitprod