Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alicia Silverstone The Crush edited for DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just picked up the Crush the other day and noticed many differences on the DVD from the last time I wathed it on VHS/cable. First off, in the original film, Alicia's charatcers name is "Darian". On the DVD, whenever someone says her name, you hear a voiceover saying "Adrian". I also remembering seeing her bush in the bathroom scene a couple of times in the original. In the DVD, its completely edited out. Anotehr edit on the dvd is also in the bathroom scene. In one scene her underwear are baige, then suddenly they turn blue. This is only to name a few as there were many more noticeable edits. Any idea why they do this?
Old 12-14-04, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106627/trivia

When "The Crush" was edited for TV, Alicia Silverstone's character's name changed from Darian to Adrian Screenwriter Alan Shapiro had based the film on actual events that happened to him, and ended up being sued by the girl he wrote about, who had the same name as his "fictional" character!

Although the main character's name is changed in the second version of the film including in the end credits, "Darian" (the original name) still appears on the letters she sends to Nick at the end of the film.
Alicia Silverstone's character was originally named Darian, but was later changed to Adrian. VHS, uncut cable television, and laserdisc versions kept the original name Darian. DVD and edited-for-tv versions are dubbed and credited as Adrian.

The original actors did not dub their own voice for saying "Adrian". The name dubbing was done by unknown actors, which is why the voices of the original actors sound slightly different every time they say the name Adrian.
Old 12-14-04, 09:22 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, yes, all well and good, but there's a bush question demanding to be answered here, dammit!
Old 12-14-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless you have another copy of this to watch side by side, I would guess that you are mis-remembering these bush scenes. I remember there was a lot of implied nudity, but very little real nudity.
Old 12-14-04, 09:58 PM

nope, im positive they showed it...and the name change is not all that is edited on the DVD...there are many edited scenes.
Old 12-14-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you are positive, maybe you should email the DVDTalk reviewer who reviewed this disc and see if he found out anything about this.
Old 12-14-04, 10:11 PM
Banned

The nude scenes (if any, I actually don't remember any) had to be a body double since Alicia Silverstone's contract had a no nudity clause for that movie.
Old 12-14-04, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are remembering it right, it's almost certainly not really Alicia Silverstone anyway. I'm pretty sure she doesn't do nude scenes, let alone bottomless, and she was only 16 or 17 when that was filmed.
Old 12-15-04, 12:31 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
i saw this at the movie theater and I dont remember any good nudity.
Old 12-15-04, 12:53 AM

yes, i agree it must be a body double, but the scene was still cut as well as a few other scenes. I watchd the movie with someone and they commented also so I'm sure I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-15-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched my copy that I recorded off of HBO several years ago, and I didn't see any bush.
Old 12-15-04, 01:51 AM

ive been a HUGE fan of this movie back to when it was it was still in theaters..i even remember salivating at the cool movie poster at the mall..but anyway,the only nudity i clearly remember was Cary Elwes' butt shot in the bathroom.thats about it.
Old 12-15-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen the movie plenty of times and have had the undubbed laserdisc from back in '94 and there is no bush shot! The DVD also has messed up surround channels, so I don't bother with that disc anymore. The name change thing is very distracting.
Old 12-15-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LikeMiamiVice
but anyway,the only nudity i clearly remember was Cary Elwes' butt shot in the bathroom.thats about it.
I remember a butt shot from Alicia (or, rather, from her body double). But I think the dude remembering bush has some wishful thinking going on.
Old 12-15-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
IIRC, there is definitely a butt shot (body double), but no bush.
Old 12-15-04, 05:48 PM

There was no Alicia Silverstone nudity in The Crush. She was underage and to this day has a no noudity/body double clause.

And there wasn't even any body double nudity... Definatly no bush.

Cary Elwes' ass did make a appearance though.
Old 12-15-04, 06:05 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Ah, The Crush. Alan Shapiro, the director, actually wrote me after my review. Wish he'd bitten on my sequel plea.
Old 12-15-04, 09:16 PM

There was no Alicia Silverstone nudity in The Crush. She was underage and to this day has a no noudity/body double clause.

And there wasn't even any body double nudity... Definatly no bush.

Cary Elwes' ass did make a appearance though.
Maybe i was wrong about the bush scene. However, they most definately did show her ass (even if it was abody double), and there were still many edits that did nt make sense on the dvd. Check out how the colors of her underwear suddenly change in the bathroom scene. Then check out when she's in Cary Elwe's apt watching him get dressed. One second hes naked then a second later he walks out completely dressed. It wasnt like that on the VHS edition.
Old 12-15-04, 10:22 PM
Suspended

The weird thing about the "bush scene" is that you can clearly see that she is wearing flesh colored panties walking out of the bathroom, but once she gets in the room she is magically wearing blue panties. I too thought all these years that it was bush but Im inclined to believe it was flesh colored panties all along, but only until the clarity of dvd was I able to make it out as that way.
Old 12-15-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is certainly an ass shot of "Darian" after Cary Elwes has been in her closet, she disrobes (showing nothing to the viewer, but ostensibly showing it all to Cary Elwes in the closet), she then leaves the room and Elwes exits the closet and goes into the hall where we see "Darian" entering the bathroom (from the back) where we catch a quick ass shot (we do not see Silverstone's face, obviously, in that brief bit).
Old 12-16-04, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
nope, im positive they showed it...and the name change is not all that is edited on the DVD...there are many edited scenes.
The good news is, you're not crazy. I know exactly what you are referring to. I noticed it when I first saw this film broadcast on HBO. I was like "Holy Shit! She just showed bush!" and fell out of my seat drooling. It was not a body-double either, the shot has Alicia in full-frame facing the camera. She is wearing a button-down shirt and turns to leave the bathroom and eureka!...the shirt blows open a little and we see everything. And, yes, you are correct, in the very next scene where she enters the bedroom and gets something out of her dresser she magically has on blue panties. So the changing underwear is not a new edit, but has been there all along. Now for the bad news. MJKTool is absolutely right. Sadly, I later discovered positively that the bush shot is actually flesh-colored underwear. Now why she is wearing flesh-colored undies is another mystery altogether. Clearly somebody was trying to play a trick on us. Why else would Alicia be wearing them, if not to perpetrate a false flashing hoax?
Old 12-16-04, 06:05 AM

Here is a pic I found of the shot in question:

Old 12-16-04, 08:44 PM

yes, thats exactly how i remember it so i was right all along
Old 12-16-04, 08:44 PM

now i think you should post a pic of the ass shot
Old 12-16-04, 09:05 PM

I also remembering seeing her bush in the bathroom scene a couple of times in the original.
im positive they showed it
I'm sure I'm not mistaken.
Maybe i was wrong about the bush scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.