DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

LOTR: ROTK EE Disc 1 Issue?

Old 12-14-04, 08:34 PM

LOTR: ROTK EE Disc 1 Issue?

Just wondering if any of you have had a problem with your ROTK EE Disc 1. Mine paused and got stuck during Chapter 18 and I ended up having to bypass it. Anyone else having problems?
Old 12-14-04, 09:06 PM
Cool New Member

This happened with the theatrical release. I tried taking the DVD out and putting it back in and didn't have the problem again.

On a side note, but related, I found that I had some skipping issues with the 2nd dvd.
Old 12-14-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had no issues with it when i watched it yesterday with my DVD drive on my PC
Old 12-14-04, 09:50 PM
Banned

Here's a tip that might work. Even though the surface looks pristine, some recent discs have had what seems to be a light "film" on the surface that affects playback. (Star Wars had this problem. I also had a problem with my Punisher disc.) So here's what you do, just wipe it down with rubbing alcohol which should dissolve any "film" on the disc. (Alcohol will dissolve most glue residue as well.) Do this, if it works, great. If not, you might want to go for an exchange.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-14-04 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

for the posters that are having problems with the ROTK: EE, could you please post the time on the DVD player where you are having problems, and your player?

just picked this up today and I want to make sure I don't have the same problems.
Old 12-15-04, 03:22 AM

Mine also got stuck on Chapter 18 a little while ago.
Old 12-15-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

boil it
Old 12-15-04, 11:23 AM
Cool New Member

My player got hung up at (what I assumed was) the layer change at chapter 16. I had to trun off my player and start from chapter 16 and it worked fine. Had no problem with disc 2.
Old 12-15-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man. I cringe when I hear all these problems on the DVDs. I had problem on my Star Wars Trilogy DVD and had to spent time to get disc 1 replaced. Recently, I preordered my LOTR:ROTK:EE and now hearing that it might have some problem too? How come DVDs I bought a few years ago never have problems like this? Why are all these problems popping up all of sudden?
Old 12-15-04, 03:53 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mookiemeister
Man. I cringe when I hear all these problems on the DVDs. I had problem on my Star Wars Trilogy DVD and had to spent time to get disc 1 replaced. Recently, I preordered my LOTR:ROTK:EE and now hearing that it might have some problem too? How come DVDs I bought a few years ago never have problems like this? Why are all these problems popping up all of sudden?
I know what you mean, scary huh?
Old 12-15-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As mentioned above, try cleaning brand-new skipping discs before freaking out. Alcohol and boiling are overkill in my book, but should work. I simply run them under hot tap water (120 deg, supposedly) and use a soft cloth if there's something that the running water doesn't get off. Like fingerprints.
Old 12-15-04, 09:21 PM

My brand new ROTK:EE disc 2 wont even load up. My player tries reading it (I have a Panasonic RV-30), and then gives me a message that says my player wont play this type of disc. But disc one works fine. I've never had this problem before, and I own 170 DVD's, and rented countless others. I'll try to run it under hot tap water for a few minutes first, that sounds least invasive...boiling it? Are you guys serious? I'll try it, since the disc doesn't work anyways. Any other ideas?
Old 12-15-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the greatest foe: wisard of FREEZING
Old 12-15-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone noticed any, um... speeding up during the playback on the movie? Mostly on disc one from what I saw. It could just be the movie, but some shots look as if they're being fast-forwarded through slightly. Anyboy else seeing this? Or am I just out of it? Sitting on the remote?
Old 12-16-04, 01:49 AM

Old 12-16-04, 09:10 AM

i didnt have any problems with mine at all
Old 12-16-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, now I'm paranoid. I've got plans to watch this for the first time at a family member's house this weekend. Now I'm going to have to check out these discs to make sure they're playable.
Old 12-16-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tried it this morning, no problems on Chapter 18. playing this on a Philips 727
Old 12-16-04, 04:51 PM

I had trouble with disc 1 on one dvd player (Sony NS300) during chapter 35 as three of the main characters enter the mountain, but it played fine on another Sony player, a portable player, and my computer.
Old 12-18-04, 01:17 AM

Hi. What type of problem did you see? I was watching this section at the part where the horses runs away and it turns to Aragorn and he starts say "I don't fear death" (or something like that), there's small glitch..

I might try it an another friend's machine.. if there's a glitch there also, going to try to exchange it, unless all discs are like that..
Thanks
John

Originally Posted by starecase
I had trouble with disc 1 on one dvd player (Sony NS300) during chapter 35 as three of the main characters enter the mountain, but it played fine on another Sony player, a portable player, and my computer.
Old 12-18-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problem here either.

Of course, my old Model-T Toshiba 2010 will play just about anything.