Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Matrix UE packaging question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WAR?
I received my copy of the regular box set yesterday from the barnes and noble deal, and found both my matrix revisited and matrix revolutions revisited discs hovering around within their cases. One of the plastic grooves that secure the discs in their places had chipped within both cases. Im pretty ticked off, so I sent off an email to warner home video seeking replacements, I'll see if they even respond.
Basically the same here. Except the only one of mine with a problem was the outer hub for Matrix Revolutions Revisited. One of the little prongs on the hub was broke, therefore not providing enough friction to keep the disc on the hub. Checked the disc though, no scratches.

I don't how you guys get such bad luck with scratched or scuffed discs. What do you do when you pick up a set (of anything)? Shake the hell out of it to check for loose discs? If so, then you're the one that is probably causing the damage. I've gotten a few sets with loose discs, but never any with scratched discs. The B5 sets have had a bad reputation with loose hubs, but never had any scuffed discs.

Now then, for those who say that their digipacks look like they're crammed in there, mine on the other hand, are so loose that they slide out of the outer case if I don't hold my hand over them...even with the booklet in there for extra friction.

Well, so far, I've watched the first 3 shorts of the Animatrix. And a bit of the Matrix up to the point where Mr. Anderson is taken into custody by Agent Smith. Transfer looks great. I love the new green tint. This color re-timing brings this film into coherance with the sequals.
Old 12-09-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Great set but some of the worst packaging I've ever seen.
That's one of the reasons I passed on getting it. My first experience with this package set-up was with the Ayreon - The Human Equation LE. I didn't care for the way the disks were on top of each other too much, but its only CDs at least.

And then the DVD was at the back by itself:

Old 12-09-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
What's on the back of each of the cases?
Black and white stills from their respective movies. The Matrix digpak has Neo and Trinity holding on to the elevator line. Reloaded has Morpheus holding a sword. Revolutions has Neo running in the rain. Animatrix has a show from... i believe The Second Renaissance. And the last digipak has a picture of them filming Trinity.
Old 12-09-04, 09:09 PM
Banned

Well folks, I'm afraid this style of packaging will be the norm for multi-disc digipaks from now on. Anchor Bay started using it on their Highlander, Hercules, and Xena sets as early as this past summer. IIRC, Xena S4 came out back in June and it used this packaging. Actually compared to those, the Matrix set's plastic holders are better than those used by Anchor Bay. They actually have a piece of plastic blocking the finger hole for the top disc. So the only way you can get the leverage to get the top disc out, is to turn the whole set upside-down and do it.
Old 12-09-04, 09:13 PM
Banned

Anybody digging the new transfer for Matrix? I love it! Clean, crisp clear transfer. Love the new color-timing. Makes the film look like a part of the over-all trilogu now. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, it's for you to decide, but I think it's personally great.
Old 12-09-04, 11:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Great set but some of the worst packaging I've ever seen.
After seeing the packaging, I decided to spend $30 more on the LE. It's $71.99 after the BB Madden 20% off coupon
Old 12-10-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a big fan of the packaging either, but I do like this setup better than the 5 foot long fold-out Alien Qaudrilogy. It's a 10 Disk set. It's packaged in such a way that it will take up the smallest amount of space on my shelf, and with how quickly I'm running out of room, that's a good thing.
Old 12-10-04, 03:00 PM

I picked mine up from Best Buy on release day. When I got back to the office and opened the last digipak (The Matrix Experience) the bottom disc on the right hand side fell into my lap. The pieces of plastic on both sides of the hub were broken, and the disc itself had a strong gouge, which looked like it was done by one of the hub edges where the plastic pieces broke off.

The disc didn't work properly, though I wasn't surprised! I took the set back this morning for an exchange - no problem. I suggested we open the replacement to make sure there weren't any broken hubs in the new set.

This one had one of the pins broken off - in one of the same places as my first set! While this didn't look as bad, it still meant that when you closed up the set and opened it again, a disc would fall out. The sales fellow tried to argue that the discs were fine, but I really didn't want to come away with another damaged set. The General Manager came by, and okay'd a third set, which luckily enough had all hubs intact. I think I would have given up if that had been damaged too.

I can certainly understand the salesperson's reluctance to open another set, but for god's sake - if two out of three sets had broken hubs, then something wrong somewhere - either in production or design. What a pain in the backside!
Old 12-10-04, 03:19 PM

I have been getting maybe a 1-out-of-3 rate of damaged discs from my online orders (mostly Amazon). Either the disc is loose in the package, or the disc is inexplicably scratched even though it is still on the hub. Luckilly, Amazon's return/replacement method is the BEST.

My only complaint is their packaging method - they throw the DVDs in the box with some loose air-bubble-pak which means the cases are free to slosh around in the box.
Old 12-10-04, 08:12 PM

just picked up the set from fry's. all discs are in perfect condition
Old 12-10-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
My only complaint is their packaging method - they throw the DVDs in the box with some loose air-bubble-pak which means the cases are free to slosh around in the box.
That is almost every online store's packaging method. Either that or a box that is too small and crushes the digipack boxes. I even had Best Buy ship me a Seinfeld box set in a padded envelope, of course it arrived crushed and looking like someone stepped on it.

I hate the cardboard cases because they always arrive all beat up. Decent packaging would help alot but that must be too much to ask for. Oh well, I guess slightly imperfect boxes is the price I pay for getting in on deals and cheap prices online.

Last edited by The Void; 12-10-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 09:31 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Void
That is almost every online store's packaging method. Either that or a box that is too small and crushes the digipack boxes. I even had Best Buy ship me a Seinfeld box set in a padded envelope, of course it arrived crushed and looking like someone stepped on it.
You don't have to live with their mistake. Take the Sienfeld box to the store for an exchange! Show them the stupid padded envelope if you still have it.
Old 12-10-04, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I picked mine up from Best Buy on release day. When I got back to the office and opened the last digipak (The Matrix Experience) the bottom disc on the right hand side fell into my lap. The pieces of plastic on both sides of the hub were broken, and the disc itself had a strong gouge, which looked like it was done by one of the hub edges where the plastic pieces broke off.

The disc didn't work properly, though I wasn't surprised! I took the set back this morning for an exchange - no problem. I suggested we open the replacement to make sure there weren't any broken hubs in the new set.

This one had one of the pins broken off - in one of the same places as my first set! While this didn't look as bad, it still meant that when you closed up the set and opened it again, a disc would fall out. The sales fellow tried to argue that the discs were fine, but I really didn't want to come away with another damaged set. The General Manager came by, and okay'd a third set, which luckily enough had all hubs intact. I think I would have given up if that had been damaged too.

I can certainly understand the salesperson's reluctance to open another set, but for god's sake - if two out of three sets had broken hubs, then something wrong somewhere - either in production or design. What a pain in the backside!
Yeah, the bottom hub of my Matrix Revolutions had one tab broken off. Unfortunately, it's the farthest one to the right and therefore the hub won't hold the disc at all. I mean, it'll hold it, but has absolutely zero friction to hold it on there.

I may try contacting WB to see if they'll send me a replacement digipak. Don't need new discs, discs are fine. Hell, I've tried to get a replacement DS9 disc from Paramount twice now and I still haven't gotten it.
Old 12-10-04, 11:08 PM

heh...apparently, the HK packaging is the standard packaging. i got the Region 1 edition of the same set today for $50. that's right...50 bucks, no tax added, nada!
Old 12-10-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I opened mine today and all the discs were firmly seated in place.

I popped in The Matrix tonight and there were several glitches (even froze the picture at one point). I finally took the disc out and looked at it and noticed that there were many deep scratches all over the disc. Started looking at some of the other discs and saw the same type of scratches on #2, #5, #6, #7.

How do 5 out of 10 discs get bad scratches when they apparently never became unseated?

I got it from Barnes and Noble online. Do you think if I took it back to a Barnes and Noble B&M, they'd let me exchange it?

Stew
Old 12-11-04, 12:03 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spartanstew
I got it from Barnes and Noble online. Do you think if I took it back to a Barnes and Noble B&M, they'd let me exchange it?
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/po_return_policy.asp
Old 12-11-04, 05:35 AM

Got my LE today, and the packaging was GREAT...it was in a big box with hard "foamrubber" (kinda like the thing that imprisoned Gollum in the TT gift set) all around the box...nothing could happen to it even if they tried (well...if they tried hard enough, I guess it could happen
Old 12-11-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 874 Likes on 393 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to go for the LE version now. (scam)

BTW, the Pink Panther set was like this too. One set is enough for me.
Old 12-11-04, 12:18 PM

i noticed a glitch on the animatrix disc right on the WB logo. otherwise, it plays just fine.

i wouldn't worry about it if my discs were damaged, i have the standard edition to fall back on. although this is a little too much. and "the matrix" box set is the first box set of dvd's i've ever bought so it holds a special value to me and all...
Old 12-18-04, 11:54 PM

Has anyone noticed that the bonus discs of the Reloaded and Revolutions DVDs had an uneven reading surface (light/dark swirls)? I looked at 2 sets that looks that way.. I was told that sometime it common and generally doesn't affect playback, but just curious.
Thanks
John
Old 12-19-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I had that on my Revolutions discs... hadn't noticed it before on any other discs of mine, but it doesn't seem to be a problem and my friend said he's seen a few like that, so no big deal to me i suppose.
Old 08-21-05, 06:38 AM

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket...

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/

Can anyone confirm that this HK release of the Matrix set is the one that comes in the standard DVD cases?

Many Thanks