Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bought some shelving...(continued)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bought some shelving...(continued)

Old 12-13-04, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I'll be getting my shelves in a couple of days. Once I get them modified, put together, and loaded up, I'll be sure to post some pics here.
Old 12-14-04, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Oh, I'll be getting my shelves in a couple of days. Once I get them modified, put together, and loaded up, I'll be sure to post some pics here.
Quoting myself here, I just got my shelves, a day earlier than expected I might add, and am starting to modify them. Hope to get some pics up later today.
Old 12-14-04, 02:30 PM

Boy thats seems steep for shelving. My collection is just under 300 including box sets and TV, but I buy my shelving at Wal-Mart, the units cost between $20 - 30 depending on if they are on sale and are the same height. I have one big one for my general collection and two small currently one holding TV the other box sets. I also have a wall of these in one room which holds books, games, CD's, toys etc. the hole wall only cost me about $60. But I guess its what you want and thats all that matters. Enjoy.
Old 12-15-04, 04:16 PM
Banned

Alright...got my shelves together and loaded up.

Here they are...

First off, here's the whole thing, so far....

Now a close-up of the upper left quadrant...

Now a close-up of the lower left quadrant...

And finally a verticle shot of the far right side...
Old 12-15-04, 04:42 PM

mike, you might want to start thinking about where your going to put all those models when you fill up that shelf with DVDs. I done the same thing.
Old 12-15-04, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Mike what're those DVD's doing on the shelve to the left there, spare cases?
Old 12-15-04, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Mike what're those DVD's doing on the shelve to the left there, spare cases?
Huh? Oh, you mean the few that are stacked there on the shelf underneath the speaker? Those are double-dipped discs that I'm giving to my sister for Christmas. Included are: Predator-DTS, Predator 2 (getting the SE coming out in January), Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions (got the Ultimate Collection), and Underworld (single- disc theatrical version). I may give her my 2-disc TC Hellboy as well, but I'd hate to lose that cool cover-art.
Old 12-15-04, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jessebo
mike, you might want to start thinking about where your going to put all those models when you fill up that shelf with DVDs. I done the same thing.
I know, don't know where I'll put'em when those shelves fill up. They're actually die-case models from the Forces of Valor series. They run about $30 a piece.

However, just a thought on the transfer of DVDs from my old shelf to this new one. I didn't realize how much TV season box sets made up the seemingly vast majority of my collection. With that said, I still say that due to the explosion of TV on DVD, we as collectors should start counting our sets differently. I would argue that for each 3-5 episodes (depending on how many per disc per set) we should count that as 1 disc.

For example, those Andromeda sets there. Each volume is 2 discs that contain 4-5 episodes each. Making for 5 volumes or titles per season. However, if I buy the entire season box set, it's only counted as 1 title.

Another example is those Stargate SG-1 sets. Each set is 5 individual discs in keepcases. Because they're packaged together in a box set, they're considered 1 title. But break them up into the individuals which could be bought for a while, that would be 35 total titles there currently.
Old 12-15-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
I suppose a little different topic, but does anybody have some suggestions for CD shelving other than the usuals that are out there on the more common sites?

Pictures and/or links would be appreciated.

I'm thinking something that is dynmically expandable as my collection expands (buy matching extras if necessary), and possibly real wood, metal or some mixture of glass and the two other materials I already mentioned.
Old 12-15-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Mike!
Old 12-16-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are some cool shelving designs here that may give some artistically-inclined people some ideas:

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000712.php
Old 12-16-04, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cynthia
There are some cool shelving designs here that may give some artistically-inclined people some ideas:

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000712.php
Well, those are sure interesting. But practical? I don't know. Framed DVD storage? Only if you live in Beverly Hills, I guess...
Old 12-16-04, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Nice Mike!
Thanks. Just gotta get more!

Nah, seriously, once I finish up those uncompleted series there: VOY, Herc, Xena, and Highlander, Tour of Duty, Superman: TAS, and Batman: TAS; my DVD buying will drop off quite a bit.

I think I may spring for the 24 3-pack next year. Latest commercials for 24 has peaked my interest.
Old 12-16-04, 03:27 PM

Someone else who buys Andromerda haha thought I was one of the only ones for a while.

Beastmaster TV show? is it good?

and dont TV Shows on dvd just look superb all together in rows like that!

I cannot wait till I get some good shelves one day, but no way in hell wil I shell out that much cash! even if it was gold plated with diamond screws!
Old 12-16-04, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
Someone else who buys Andromerda haha thought I was one of the only ones for a while.
Well, that's two of us. Actually, I had v4.2, but had to send it back due to a bad disc. Have v4.3 and 4.4 ordered. That lone DVD next to my Matrix set is the first volume of Farscape Starburst Edition. Gonna be adding Vol. 2 and Peacekeeper Wars next month.

Actually it is. If only watched the first season of it so far, but it has great continuity. I was very impressed with the continuity. Almost episode to episode. It's in 16:9 widescreen, but with only 2.0 surround.

and dont TV Shows on dvd just look superb all together in rows like that!
They do, don't they? Although, all 7 seasons of VOY will soon to be released, I'm just behind in getting them. These last 3 seasons came too close together. I'll be eBaying them between now and next May when ENT comes out. Probably get Season 5 next month.

I cannot wait till I get some good shelves one day, but no way in hell wil I shell out that much cash! even if it was gold plated with diamond screws!
Well, it did have diamond screws...

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-16-04 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 10:26 PM

*snip*
With that said, I still say that due to the explosion of TV on DVD, we as collectors should start counting our sets differently. I would argue that for each 3-5 episodes (depending on how many per disc per set) we should count that as 1 disc.

For example, those Andromeda sets there. Each volume is 2 discs that contain 4-5 episodes each. Making for 5 volumes or titles per season. However, if I buy the entire season box set, it's only counted as 1 title.

Another example is those Stargate SG-1 sets. Each set is 5 individual discs in keepcases. Because they're packaged together in a box set, they're considered 1 title. But break them up into the individuals which could be bought for a while, that would be 35 total titles there currently.
Why on earth would any of this matter?

/r
Old 12-17-04, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janitor
Why on earth would any of this matter?

/r
Bragging rights.
Old 12-17-04, 12:28 PM

I buy them as Box sets as basically its cheaper by a shedload! cash saved = more dvds
Old 12-17-04, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Mike - I just noticed your LOTR EE's spine art lines up better than most (atleast mine) - lucky!
Old 12-17-04, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Mike - I just noticed your LOTR EE's spine art lines up better than most (atleast mine) - lucky!
Didn't know that that was a problem. Why? Your's don't?

Anyway, I've done a little re-arranging. Gonna take some new pics and post'em.
Old 12-17-04, 05:58 PM
Banned

OK, here we go...

First a straight-on shot....notice the new arrangements on the middle shelf.

And then a slightly off to the side shot...
Old 12-17-04, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
UPDATE: Actually your question has prompted me to start watching the 2nd Season. And once again, I am reminded on how good it is, for this type of show. Season 2 started right off the bat by introducing a new character and it has continued on using her as a re-occuring character. Still strong continuity from episode to episode. By that I mean, that the stories aren't necessarily linked, it's just that events follow one another. It's not like your "creature/adventure of the week".

Beastmaster was another one of those Tribune Entertainment shows like Andromeda was. It's a bit like Hercules: Legendary Journeys but with bit less campiness. It's a bit more serious and it takes place in the Beastmaster universe...early Bronze age. The invention of metal weapons have just came into play in the second season here. There was a episode about the invention of the wheel in the first season.

It's also shot in Queensland, AUS. Very interesting terrain in the series. Oh, one more thing...Marc Singer from the Beastmaster movies becomes a re-occuring character in the 3rd Season I think.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 12-17-04 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Great organization Mike, looks like you've got a little breathing room there. Can't wait to move out next year and get a nice shelf like that.

The ROTK DVD art is a bit higher than the previous EE's. Obviously the world will go on, but it's a minor irritation for me. When I get the trilogy box, I'll probably just face it the other way...
Old 12-17-04, 06:36 PM

Bragging rights.
Hmmm. Ok. I think I get it. At least partly.

But I'm still a bit confused.

What if one guy has, say, 350 dvds and takes the bus everywhere, and another guy only has 35 dvds (all Criterion of course), but he's got a Lamborghini Countach ... who wins?

/r

PS - I have more than 35 dvds.
PPS - No ... I don't have a Lamborghini - I've got a POS truck with 170K on the odometer. I don't even know how to spell 'Lamborghini'.
Old 12-17-04, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janitor
Hmmm. Ok. I think I get it. At least partly.

But I'm still a bit confused.

What if one guy has, say, 350 dvds and takes the bus everywhere, and another guy only has 35 dvds (all Criterion of course), but he's got a Lamborghini Countach ... who wins?
/r

PS - I have more than 35 dvds.
PPS - No ... I don't have a Lamborghini - I've got a POS truck with 170K on the odometer. I don't even know how to spell 'Lamborghini'.
Well, I have 350 titles and a '99 Dodge Ram Sport pick-up w/36,xxx miles on it. How many luxury points does that get me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.