Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars: Clone Wars: Volume One - 3/22/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a shame that this series wasn't done as a CGI cartoon such as Shadow Raiders or Roughnecks. I mean, think about it. After it's all done (including the up-coming Season 3), the whole thing will only be about 2 hours worth of footage. The Samurai Jack animation is cool and all, but the whole thing would have been extremely cool if they did a full 3D CG show.
Old 02-22-05, 01:27 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's a shame that this series wasn't done as a CGI cartoon...
You mean like Episodes I, II and III?
Old 02-22-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Saw that one coming. LOL.
Old 03-14-05, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Wars collecting site Rebelscum has a review up of the Clone Wars disc.

Lookin' pretty good. . .
Old 03-23-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still sitting on the fence on this new release. Do you all consider this title to be a good blind buy? Most of the online reviews have been generally positive, but not so great to be considered a "must buy". To those who have purchased it already and seen it (I missed it on the Cartoon Network), I welcome your comments.
Old 03-23-05, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker

No...like Roughnecks or Shadow Raiders. Or even like Final Fantasy, Final Flight of the Osiris, or for that matter, Appleseed (2004).

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-23-05 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
I'm still sitting on the fence on this new release. Do you all consider this title to be a good blind buy? Most of the online reviews have been generally positive, but not so great to be considered a "must buy". To those who have purchased it already and seen it (I missed it on the Cartoon Network), I welcome your comments.

Are you a die-hard Star Wars fan? If so, yes, get it now! Buy it blind.

Otherwise, check it out on Netflix first.
Old 03-23-05, 09:51 PM

id really like to pick this up. what are the chances theyll release a complete series set once season 3 comes out.
Old 03-23-05, 10:25 PM

The animation in the second season seems much more advanced then last season, plus it's nice that they are longer, so more story can be developed with the longer eps. If you haven’t seen the 1st one, this is a great disc to pick-up.
Old 03-23-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
id really like to pick this up. what are the chances theyll release a complete series set once season 3 comes out.
The series will only consist of two discs,so i dont see why they would re-release it as a set.Although crazier things have happened.
Old 03-23-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you can also watch the first few episodes of season 3 (volume 2) on cartoonnetwork.com right now for free, just to see if you like the animation, and the story...since one chapter does not always have to do with another you are safe to watch it...although i would skip 21, becuase it is the end of the cliffhanger for 20...start at 22 and take in the twelve minutes of goodness.

Buy it. it's fun.

also want to chime in and say my only disapointment with the dvd is that they did not include the original chapter breaks...i like it fluid the way it is presented on dvd, just wish i had the option to see the chapter titles and what not....although i believe you can do this one at a time in the choose a chapter...

Last edited by Cameron; 03-24-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-24-05, 01:53 AM

Cameron, since you CAN do it one at a time and see the chapter titles "and what not," why are you disappointed? It seems to me like they've done a superb job on this set by editing it all together in one full-length feature and by breaking it up in its original chapters for those who want to see it that way. The picture quality is nothing short of perfection. If there is any disappointment at all, it would have to be that this wasn't mastered in 5.1 surround. Since all the elements come from Skywalker Sound, and use primarily the original sound effects and score (with additional music of course) from the films, it seems like it wouldn't have taken much effort to do this in surround.

I watched the entire hour long feature last night without ever having seen any of the individual chapters before, and I was highly impressed. A great job! Buy it today!
Old 03-24-05, 06:52 AM

Actually, I don't think you can watch it with the interstitials as it was originally presented. I like the edited together version, but I think it would be noce to have each "episode" viewable seperately as it was aired with opening, chapter number and "next time" afterwards. A few of the transitions is the feature length edit were a little rough, specifically the transition from Chapter 1 to 2.

To be perfectly honest, I would have rather waited 6 months for this and have all 25 chapters available on one disc. It would still be a little under 2 hours.

The main thing I have noticed is how much clearer things are for the creators of the cartoon what is to follow in RotS. The fighters are what will be in RotS, the clones are updated and most importantly, the Jedi could have tangled with Gen. Greivous for the whole series instead of having throw-away villain Durge.

One thing the DEFINITELY did better in the first 20 chapters is the more subdued (OT-like) portrayal of C-3P0. I hated that shit with the "burlesque" 3-P0 and his antic last night were way to distracting.

Ah well, I'd still give the disc an 8 of 10.
Old 03-24-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
One thing the DEFINITELY did better in the first 20 chapters is the more subdued (OT-like) portrayal of C-3P0. I hated that shit with the "burlesque" 3-P0 and his antic last night were way to distracting.

Ah well, I'd still give the disc an 8 of 10.
Subdued like the OT? Of all the PT vs OT arguments, I never get that one. Threepio was a freakin' psychopath in the OT. Some of his CW antics are bit obnoxious, but they are perfectly in character.
Old 03-24-05, 08:27 AM

I think in the OT, it was Threepio's delivery that made his portrayal humorous, and not the writing. The way he is portrayed specifically in the droid factory part of E2 is just not funny since it was all written to be humorous. It comes off bad.

I don't think he is bad in TPM or even the beginning part of AotC. Even in the first episodes of CW it is OK.

Last night's episode was not really the threepio's character that was bad, it was the mixing of the audio where his antics drowned out the meat of what was going on.
Old 03-24-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by tofferman
Volume I is hard to recommend as a blind buy unless you're a die-hard fan. The mini stories are good, but they stand-alone and you won't miss any continuity by skipping them.

I DO recommend Volume II once it's eventually released as these newer ones are really furthering the story (Anakin promoted to Knight, invasion of Coruscant begins) and lead up to the opening of Revenge of the Sith.
Old 03-24-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to chime in about this dvd, I was very disappointed in the commentaries. Not one, but two commentaries with the director pointing out everything that happens on screen. There might be more interesting things later in the commentary, but I turned them both off after about ten minutes. You would think that since he's the first person to be responsible for bringing Star Wars characters to TV in a couple decades, he'd have better stories to tell.
Old 03-24-05, 09:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 936 Likes on 784 Posts
did you guys file this one with the animated or other "Star Wars" DVD's?
Old 03-24-05, 09:27 AM
Banned

All of my Star Wars DVD's are together in one section...all...12-15 of them. I lost count. lol
Old 03-24-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
This one gets filed under "animation" -- right beside the Droids and Ewoks animated discs.

The Ewok movies are in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section right after Return of the Jedi.
Old 03-24-05, 10:31 AM
Banned

You mean physically, or electronically?

Haven't gotten mine yet (UPS comes today, however), but...
Old 03-24-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't received mine, but under "S".
Old 03-24-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,424 Likes on 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Worms
Haven't received mine, but under "S".
Episode 2.5

I've got one of the Paul Champagne cases for my Star Wars DVDs, but it only holds seven cases. Right now it's full with Eps 1 and 2, CW, and the OT box set. I'll have to buy a slim double for the OT bonus disc, then I'm assuming (hoping) that someone will make a custom cover for both Clone Wars discs so they can be put in a slim double eventually.
Old 03-24-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Episode 2.5

I've got one of the Paul Champagne cases for my Star Wars DVDs, but it only holds seven cases. Right now it's full with Eps 1 and 2, CW, and the OT box set. I'll have to buy a slim double for the OT bonus disc, then I'm assuming (hoping) that someone will make a custom cover for both Clone Wars discs so they can be put in a slim double eventually.
Still need more room for
  • episode iii
  • ewoks cartoon
  • droids cartoon
  • ewok tv movies
  • r2-d2 beneath the dome
Old 03-24-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Still need more room for
  • episode iii
  • ewoks cartoon
  • droids cartoon
  • ewok tv movies
  • r2-d2 beneath the dome
And even then, no Star Wars collection is really complete without
  • Hardware Wars
  • Starwoids
  • George Lucas in Love
  • Thumb Wars
  • Troops (AFAIK, only available on DVD on the old Total Movie mag Disc #1)

(and I won't even mention the possibility of someone somehow owning a copy of the original versions of the OT on DVD)

Last edited by RoboDad; 03-24-05 at 04:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.