Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD you are most disappointed with thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 08:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

You know the ones that you waited the life span of the medium for, eagerly anticipated its release, salivated with wide-eyed optimism that the movie you so dearly loved was going to get the Ultra-Ultimate Edition (with super picture and audio quality and the extras that make your heart go pitter patter) you thought it so richly deserved only to pop it in watch it and have your heart sink into your Reeboks with utter disappointment!

So which one is it? I know many will attest to the "Star Wars" Trilogy, but hopefully we will have a cornucopia of various heart rips...
Old 12-04-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gator
White Lightning
Carbon Copy

...all foolscreen!!!

I pray that when The Other, They All Laughed and Inside Moves finally arrive....they arrive in a proper fashion with proper respect.
Old 12-04-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
Two Jim Cameron films. Although The Abyss is packed with extras, including probably the best "making of" documentary, the film itself is non-anamorphic.
Titanic finally made it to DVD a year after its VHS release and not only is it barebones, again non-anamorphic. You would think the biggest money-making film of all time would warrant a better release.
Old 12-05-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hero, I was hoping that the US release would give me a reason to replace my R3 dvd, but I read so much bad stuff about it.
Old 12-05-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
off the top of my head:

Return of the Living Dead 2
Happy Birthday To Me

obviously because of the DVDs not having their original scores. I was hoping to finish out the ROTLD trilogy
Old 12-05-04, 01:18 PM

The first time a DVD let me down was when I got "Man on the moon". Man I was hoping for some vintage Kauhman footage or at least that Special on him hosted by bob saget. But alas nothing. A bare bones let down.
Old 12-05-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Second the votes for Hero and Titanic...And would add The Phantom Menace. Although didnt wait a "lifetime" for any of them, they are the ones that really disappoint me.
Old 12-05-04, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Second the votes for Hero and Titanic...And would add The Phantom Menace. Although didnt wait a "lifetime" for any of them, they are the ones that really disappoint me.
How is the Phantom Menace DVD disappointing? If you don't like the movie, thats one thing, but the DVD is one of the best produced ever, containing perhaps the best behind the scenes documentary ever for a movie.
Old 12-05-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Burger.
Old 12-05-04, 04:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shawagg
"Man on the moon". I was hoping for some vintage Kauhman footage
There is footage of Kaufman on the disc. It's mentioned on the back cover, but it's hidden as several easter eggs. Highlight and click on (where possible)the photos of Kaufman on the text biography screens.

I usually know about a disc's shortcomings before I buy it because of sites like this. My disappointment was the first season of Rocky & Bullwinkle (& Friends). Everyone here was complaining about the logo that popped up in every segment. What I didn't like was most of the music being redubbed to different themes (especially Bullwinkle's Corner and the dropped curtain sting).
Old 12-05-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm disappointed in The Truman Show DVD. I would have like to have seen some featurettes and commentary on that one, as well as an anamorphic transfer.
Old 12-05-04, 09:07 PM

Anything by Fox Lieber. They have some of the best movies titles available on DVD, yet they have horrible transfers. Some of their DVD's look worse than a VHS tape. And they also like to burn subtitles in, not giving an option to turn them off.