Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How to remove the wrapping from a DVD movie

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just run mine across the edge of a coffee table until the plastic shreds. 6 sec max, and I don't need sharp tools.

Nick
Old 12-01-04, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...it sucks ! What, I wonder, would be wrong with just the security sticker and placing it on a damn piece of paper and put THAT in with a DVD like Gone With The Wind ?? Surely they can afford that ?
Old 12-01-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Muse
I seriously doubt that the overwhelming majority of people who come to DVDTalk use as effective a method of opening a case as outlined in the OP. Very seriously.
Hey, I just bought a pack of gum, could you show me how to chew it? I mean, I know a basic way, but I'm sure there's a more efficient way.

God I love round-about 'Glengarry Glen Ross' references.

And you meant "efficient", not "effective". Your way, to my mind, is less *effective* because you leave the top stickers on but, any way you look at it, it's not *more* effective.

Sure, they can open them, but can they do it in less than 60 seconds?
But the question is, is that 60 seconds from starting, or 60 seconds after you've gotten the knife/blade/whatever from wherever you keep it, opened the plastic, taken the disc out of the plastic, etc.?

No, just kidding, that's not the question, the question is "Who has ever needed to get a DVD case open in less than a minute?"

But also, though I've never timed myself, nine times out of ten I'm quite sure it's been about a minute. It's really not that hard to do. I don't even need an exacto knife; keys work just fine.

Most cannot do it nearly so fast and anywhere near so painlessly.
That's true, I mean, whatever outdated methods we use, they can't be anywhere near as painless as an Exacto knife or an old razor blade.

It took me maybe 60-80 disks to arrive at this method. I thought I could save a lot of people a lot of frustration.
What method did you use *before* you figured out to remove the stickers?

People will always say, "thanks but no thanks" and crap like that. So, leaves will fall in the Fall. What else is new?
I don't think that's fair; sure, I mocked the idea of your post, but I also contributed something for you, namely that there's a specifically designed product which you can buy which is much safer than an Exacto knife, and attaches to a keychain for convenience also (unless you just carry an Exacto knife around all the time, just in case).
Old 12-01-04, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by nightmaster
What I've been using for years and years is an Olfa touch knife, so if anyone out there comes across them in the hardware or craft stores, jump on one. Small, fits on a keychain and runs less than 2 bucks. Stays razorblade sharp for years.
Yeah, actually I use something like that, I guess. It doesn't say Olfa and I don't remember where I got it, but it fits on my key chain, looks like a key (orange plastic) and has a retractable razor on the end and it has stayed sharp for years. I could run it across a wetstone or wet dry, I guess, if it gets dull.
Old 12-01-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, I got this plastic thing to do just that from some food and product show.

One side for DVDs the other for CDs. It works great and was something like $2.
Old 12-01-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Giant
A little off topic...but do you guys get the same problem with FOX DVD's in that when you peel the wrapper of you still have some of it still on the spine...it's happens to me ALL the time with FOX DVD's....
i was just thinking about that the other day, how the plastic has been sticking to the spine more, and youre right, they were all FOX DVDs, Terror Train, Barton Fink, Day After Tomorrow etc, they all have wrapper stuck to the spine. i assume whomever manufactures the DVDs for FOX heats the plastic wrap on the spine for some reason and helps melt the plastic to the spine.
Old 12-01-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I've seen Fox (and, sometimes, Lions Gate) DVDs do this for a few months now. Really annoying.
Old 12-01-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
i have over 900 dvd's in the basement that are as of yet unopened.
i just didnt know how to do it, let alone do it efficiently.

i can finally use my mits 73713 for something other then cable tv.

thanks muse.
Old 12-01-04, 11:11 PM
Cool New Member

Re: How to remove the wrapping from a DVD movie

After scores of relatively frustrating experiences (you've had them too, right?) I've finally perfected a method of unpacking DVD movies. I'm talking about your typical DVD:

1. Take a sharp blade (something like an Exacto Knife, or a razor blade) and run it along the edge of the rectangular case, on 3 sides (not the spine itself).

2. Open the clamshell case (it should spring right open after making those cuts).

3. Remove the slug protection device, if any, and trash it. That's optional, but I do this.

4. Remove the "Security Device Enclosed" stickers, which should be cut in two at this point. The two halves of each are best removed in one piece by peeling back from the cut-points - it's quite easy once you get used to it. I leave the top label intact (though it has to be sliced in half to open the case) because it usually has the name of the movie and I may want to store my DVD's at some point with that label showing.

I can do a whole DVD in less than a minute using this method.
Are you kidding me?
Old 12-02-04, 01:26 AM

How many people have had to rip part of the cover art because it wasn't sealed all the way inside the clear plastic cover?
Old 12-02-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Three words... plastic pocket comb.
Old 12-02-04, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Thanks Muse this is very helpful, but I have a follow-up question. I order most of my DVDs online. Sometimes they arrive in paper mailers which I can easily tear through, but usually they arrive in sealed boxes. I used to just stomp on the boxes until they disgorged my DVDs, but that often resulted in damage to the DVDS so for now I'm just piling the unopened boxes up until I come up with another solution. Any advice for getting those boxes open is appreciated as they've really been piling up over the years.

/r
Old 12-02-04, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by emhello
How many people have had to rip part of the cover art because it wasn't sealed all the way inside the clear plastic cover?
I know exactly what you mean. The best workaround for this is to slowly peel up part of security seal and move across the box until you have it all peeled off, then slowly pull the seal up over the cover art. Next, flip the box over and do the same thing on the other side. It's kind of hard to explain, but I hope you understand what I mean.
Old 12-02-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,267 Likes on 845 Posts
I bought one of those, it can open 10 DVD's per second and only costs $450,000 Great thing about it is that it will open DVD's from ANY region!

Old 12-02-04, 12:02 PM

I just stick my finger or teeth in the little opening on the right side of the DVD and puncture the plastic. Then I remove the plastic, and use my fingernails (which admitedly are barely there) and remove the stickers.
Old 12-02-04, 01:09 PM

I also use an exacto knife to cut along the 3 seems then I take off the plastic wrapper. Then I carefully pull the security stickers that may be attached to any of the 3 sides.

However, if the artwork is sticking out and the security sticker is attached to it, it seems that it's inevityable that some of the artwork will be ruined.

While I am careful, I have a friend who doesn't seem to care. He tears off the plastic wrapper then uses his car keys and slashes away at the security sticker. He does it enough to open up the case, but leaves the slashed security sticker intact.

Not only that, but while I always put mine back in its case, he leaves his discs laying around. Either sitting on top of the case or just on a piece of furniture somewhere.

I guess it really comes down to is that some people really care about their belongings and that some people could care less.
Old 12-02-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just pull on everything with my hands Plastic wrapping, security stickers, any other additional stickers or tags on the case. No issues from doing so.
Old 12-02-04, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
It took you 54 seconds to get a DVD out of a wrapper?

Did you use your feet?
I once did it in 53 seconds.
Old 12-02-04, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Novasonic
I know exactly what you mean. The best workaround for this is to slowly peel up part of security seal and move across the box until you have it all peeled off, then slowly pull the seal up over the cover art. Next, flip the box over and do the same thing on the other side. It's kind of hard to explain, but I hope you understand what I mean.
I don't understand. How about posting a .mov file showing the technique for all us dummies.
Old 12-02-04, 06:37 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually just stop by my local Home Depot on my way home from Best Buy. Go to the lumber dept. they only charge $.25 per cut! I just have them trim (rip) off about a 1/4 inch off the long side (so I never have to worry about wrestling with the snapper) walla done in about 2 seconds. Plus half the time they don't charge because they find it funny that I like to open my dvd's this way.

WARNING: I don't recommend opening the Alien Quadrilogy this way it can get kinda messy! Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Old 12-02-04, 11:14 PM

Wait, you mean to tell me these things open and there are so-called discs inside?
Old 12-02-04, 11:46 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Muse,

I sure hope you got a patent on this method. If not, better get to it:

http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/efs/index.html
Old 12-03-04, 09:53 AM

Muse, I personally appreciate your post, as i've been using my fingernails up to this point. NOW . . . do you happen to have a method for removing store stickers from slipcases without either tearing the slipcover or leaving sticker residue behind? I'm referring to titles like Spider-Man 2 from Best Buy, who put their own UPC scan sticker over the original, and a separate Best Buy price sticker on the front, and various Disney titles that come packaged in slipcases. What will get that sticky residue off and take the label off completely?
Old 12-03-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Admiral7
Muse, I personally appreciate your post, as i've been using my fingernails up to this point. NOW . . . do you happen to have a method for removing store stickers from slipcases without either tearing the slipcover or leaving sticker residue behind? I'm referring to titles like Spider-Man 2 from Best Buy, who put their own UPC scan sticker over the original, and a separate Best Buy price sticker on the front, and various Disney titles that come packaged in slipcases. What will get that sticky residue off and take the label off completely?
Fingernail then WD-40
Old 12-03-04, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trust me, I opened a DVD today and timed it - 54 seconds, and it was completely liberated from the maddening packaging, nothing more to do, all the crap in the wastebasket, 54 seconds flat. And it's the only one I've ever timed. I didn't practice for this. I just developed this method a couple of days ago.
Then why are you telling all of us about your new method?

If what you are saying is so fantastic then where is your infomercial and/or auctions on eBay where we end up buying an eBook on how to do this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.