Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 2 *newuser*

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man 2 *newuser*

Old 11-30-04, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider-Man 2 *newuser*

Hey, everybody, i am new to the forums so forgive me if this casual talk on dvd shouldnt be here. Been lurking these pages for a few days now and just had to join.

I've alreayd went to the local wal-mart this morning to pick up the new spidey gift set (sucker for gs and since i have the first one must have the new one for collection) of course they had a million copies of the 2disc set but for the gs and sb disc the shelves were empty and just had a price sticker on the rack. I asked about it and they said thats all they had for now (which is nothing) and maybe UPS would come again today and it would be in then. This seems to always happen to me, wether it be a new release i am excited about on dvd or cd or even a elvis action figure they still dont have.

Does anybody else have problems with their local wal-mart? I guess i will wait a few hours to see if it comes in, if not i will have to drive to a target (live in small town).

thanks for some great reading on these forums, hope to post more in future discussions!
Old 11-30-04, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My WalMart has poor selections of DVDs. Try BestBuys.
Old 11-30-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if your looking to get a "limited" edition set dont go to a place like wal-mart. go to a bigger store. a place that deals with dvds as a big part of thier business. go to best buy, cc, or shop on line that way you know you will get it
Old 11-30-04, 09:23 AM

Last week a friend and I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to wait for the release of the Seinfeld gift set. Finally, they brought a bunch of videos to the area and some lady muddled on about how "Harry Potter" was available in both widescreen and full screen, but that she couldn't find any widescreen copies of Seinfeld. ! Yeah, Wal-Mart really knows what they're doing. So I asked about the Gift Set and the lady said I brought up all there was back there. So I scan the stack of videos and they are all individual releases of Volume 1. I told her, 'These are all seasons 1 and 2, and I'm pretty sure you have a third season back there." So she disappears again, never to return. Another guy comes up with a big display will all three seasons and I ask him about the gift sets. He says he doesn't know anything about them but he'll check. Finally he comes back with two -- and only two -- gift sets. Fortunately my friend and I both got one. They said they didn't get very many cause the retail was $119.95 and Wal-Mart didn't think people would pay that much. Nevermind that Wal-Mart was selling it for $79.95 (not $119.95) and we got it price matched for $69.95. Yeah, i hate dealing with Wal-Mart. And they didn't have any copies of the Spider-Man 2 gift set last night either. And the guy was alarmed when I asked him for widescreen. He said, "Widescreen? Most people want FULL screen." *rolls eyes*
Old 11-30-04, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Admiral7
He said, "Widescreen? Most people want FULL screen." *rolls eyes*
Nothing wrong with Full Screen. I've started to watch more and more DVDs in the bedroom (w/ the girlfriend) and wish more of my DVDs had backsides with the Full Screen version.
Old 11-30-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest ordering something like that online (from Amazon- check the "Share the Love" forum under DVD Bargains). Wal-Mart probably only gets a handfull of them in stock at ANY store, but in a small town, the stock would be even lower.

FYI - Spiderman 2 is being re-released on DVD next year as Spiderman 2.5 SE with additional footage in case you can wait and don't want to double-dip.

Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by MrVette99
Nothing wrong with Full Screen. I've started to watch more and more DVDs in the bedroom (w/ the girlfriend) and wish more of my DVDs had backsides with the Full Screen version.

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-30-04 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 09:53 AM

Full Screen is not the whole movie. The picture has been chopped on the sides. Therefore there is something wrong with Full Screen. Whether or not you choose to overlook that fact is up to you to decide. Just remember that 4:3 televisions are slowly becoming obsolete. What will you do then?

Edit: sorry for the off topic post. I know the WS/FS debate has been covered ad nauseam.

Last edited by taa455; 11-30-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by taa455
Full Screen is not the whole movie.
What part of the movie is missing? First part, last part, some content in the middle. I've watch some films in widescreen and fullscreen and there is no part of the movie missing.

If you mean part of the picture is missing then that is another topic.

Some films don't matter one bit whether it full or wide, so this "something" wrong is a phony argument.

Originally posted by taa455
What will you do then?
Do I have to kill myself "then"? I buy widescreen movies. My father buys full screen (when he can), and he doesn't have a single complaint.

My advise: Look after yourself. Buy what you like, and let other people buy what they want. It is afterall, with their money and it is for themselves.
Old 11-30-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 647 Likes on 454 Posts
Come now, you know you only get through the first 15 minutes or so... so why bother with Full Screen?
Old 11-30-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm... this coming from the person who TOOK THE THREAD OFF TOPIC to begin with....

My father buys full screen (when he can), and he doesn't have a single complaint.
And I'll bet he never goes to the movie theater because he can rent the movie on VHS or fullscreen DVD from Blockbuster or watch it on HBO in a few months anyway. Probably boycotted buying Lawrence of Arabia because there was no non-letterbox option. Again what is the point here in relation to the OP's topic?

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-30-04 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-30-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What part of the movie is missing? First part, last part, some content in the middle. I've watch some films in widescreen and fullscreen and there is no part of the movie missing.

nuance.

nuance is missing.
Old 11-30-04, 11:15 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know if 2.5 is confirmed for release next year?

BTW welcome to the forum
Old 11-30-04, 11:17 AM

Some films don't matter one bit whether it full or wide, so this "something" wrong is a phony argument.

Do I have to kill myself "then"? I buy widescreen movies. My father buys full screen (when he can), and he doesn't have a single complaint.

My advise: Look after yourself. Buy what you like, and let other people buy what they want. It is afterall, with their money and it is for themselves.
Like I said (pay attention), it is your decision. But the argument that there is something missing with full screen is 100% legitimate. It is a FACT. It is not a "phony argument." That's all I will say on this.
Old 11-30-04, 12:22 PM

i agree with you ppl, wal-mart has no idea whats going on. i called back to see if they put the gift set out yet and they said yes. i went up there, no gift set. i asked again and they pointed me to the 2 pack deals (spidey 1 & 2 or spidey 2 and men in black 2) i said no that is not a gift set, they looked at me like i was crazy.

i do usually go to bigger places like best buy to get something like that, but was just trying to save gas money and all, i ended up driving 6 miles to a kmart and they had it. im glad i got it but am a little dissapointed with the size, the last gift set was huge and very cool looking in my collection, this is a little bigger than a dvd case but i assume they are trying to make it easier on those you dont care much for the big boxes and what not.

thanks for the posts guys, i feel very welcomed!
Old 11-30-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Wal-Mart had the gift set in the Black case. I don't know how much they were selling it for. They also had the two pack of spidey 1 & 2 for $25 and they had a two-pack of Men In Black I w/ Spidey 1 for $25. Don't really see the connection there?
Old 11-30-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing wrong with Full Screen.

What you talkin bout MrVette99!
Old 11-30-04, 01:36 PM
Banned

Haven't been to Wal Mart today, although I thought I might at some time, depending...but they had the original Spider-Man giftpack from years ago. So I'm thinking that they may have this new one this time.

I've got my Spider-Man 2, Daredevil DC, and Hero ordered from Amazon, so I'll just be waiting for UPS on this one.

EDIT: Whoops, just checked my order status and it was shipped yesterday. However I never got my email confirmation.
Old 11-30-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Obey The D

What you talkin bout MrVette99!

My bad brain fart!
Old 11-30-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wal mart is the worse place to go for these sorts of things. You are new, so you'll learn. hit up best buy cause you are indeed missing out on the full picture with FS
Old 12-01-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, wait...did someone just say that "there is nothing wrong with fullscreen"?

I WISH BANN
Old 12-01-04, 07:27 AM

Just be happy with your girlfriend having a full backside and full screen be damned!
Old 12-01-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by John-In-VA
Just be happy with your girlfriend having a full backside and full screen be damned!
Eww!
Old 12-01-04, 10:43 AM

The issue is a movie image does not fit on a standard TV. "Widescreen" is most often the original, unaltered presentation of the film. "Fullscreen" is an altered version that distorts and restricts the image to force it to fit on a standard TV.

Also keep in mind that when the day comes that you buy a widescreen TV - as many will - all your fullscreen-only DVDs will be pretty much worthless.
Old 12-01-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
Also keep in mind that when the day comes that you buy a widescreen TV - as many will - all your fullscreen-only DVDs will be pretty much worthless.
No, no, no... that will be the SWEETEST day. They will have purchase fullscreen versions to avoid the black bars, but on a widescreen TV they will have black bars on the SIDES!
Yehahahahah!
\

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-01-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-01-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 779 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Spider-Man 2 *newuser*

Originally posted by sxwxs
Does anybody else have problems with their local wal-mart? I guess i will wait a few hours to see if it comes in, if not i will have to drive to a target (live in small town).
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your Wal*Mart sucks. The one by me is really really good at stocking new releases (they had about 12 of the Gift Box) and their prices are usually the best in town. A Target was recently built (so not crowded) in the same shopping mall so prices have become pretty competitive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.