Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I, Robot Special Edition Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, Robot Special Edition Coming?

Does anyone know if there will be a 2-disc version of I, Robot coming out in the U.S.? I love the movie but the single disk version coming Dec 14 seems pretty bare bones, while other regions get 2 disc sets loaded with extras.
Old 11-24-04, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how lately region 2 gets the two disc sets, and we get the crap one disc barebones releases. It must be because they know we are suckers who will double dip.
Old 11-24-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, it sucks. I wont be suckered anymore, ill wait for the next release.

Ill just rent it if i want to see it.
Old 11-24-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Go region free and get the 2-Disc HK version.
Old 11-24-04, 10:29 PM

That does suck. I loved this movie too. Would it be safe to say that we are bigger dvd consumers here in North America then on the other side? it just doesnt seem to make sense that reg 2 get all the bells and whistles when it comes to dvds lately.
Old 11-24-04, 10:36 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Libby
That does suck. I loved this movie too. Would it be safe to say that we are bigger dvd consumers here in North America then on the other side? it just doesnt seem to make sense that reg 2 get all the bells and whistles when it comes to dvds lately.
I hear ya.
Old 11-24-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which is why we shouldn't be buying a release that will obviously be double dipped (and probably fairly quickly too).

I really wanted this and The Day after Tomorrow, but i'll be patient and wait for the better version which will probably be out in a few months.
Old 11-24-04, 11:44 PM

...and Man On Fire. Actually anything being released from Fox
Old 11-25-04, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ChristianB
...and Man On Fire. Actually anything being released from Fox
again...this big Man On Fire rumor that people love to mention but have nothing to back it up. no other region got a larger SE. And AFAIK, there have been no quotes about a special edition. What's the deal???
Old 11-25-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
again...this big Man On Fire rumor that people love to mention but have nothing to back it up. no other region got a larger SE. And AFAIK, there have been no quotes about a special edition. What's the deal???
Pretty sure DVD Answers already mentioned about what was gonna be on it. Man on Fire will probably be announced within the next couple weeks.

edit: From thedigitalbits.com: Also, those of you who enjoyed Tony Scott's recent Man on Fire, but felt that the movie-only DVD release was a little lackluster (containing only a commentary) can rest easy. We've learned that a much more elaborate special edition is on the way from 20th Century Fox early next year. We'll give you all the details as soon as they come in.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 11-25-04 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-25-04, 09:19 AM
sdk

I am getting this version http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...804578-3778203
Old 11-25-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally posted by candyrocket786
Go region free and get the 2-Disc HK version.
Well I told hollywood where they can shove it last week. I ordered my first region free player last week. Mostly because of this whole I, Robot joke of a release here. Ordered the region 3 version that has about 3-4 more hours of extras than the crap served up here in america. Way to go hollywood. Push people to the foreign market!
Old 11-25-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the dark side, Michael. Probably about 20% of my collection is from other regions. It's harder on the wallet, but I enjoy having the freedom to buy from any region.
Old 11-25-04, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Releasing multiple versions with more extra's doesn't have the same impact on Europeans as it does Americans in general.
So the movie company's know they can pull this trick in America and with success, but in Europe it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 11-25-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Libby
It's gotten old fast hasn't it? Most new DVDs (stuff released in the last 2 years or so) have a wonderful print of the movie itself and that's the main thing I'm concerned with when I buy, with very rare exceptions. If they want me to buy the first edition out at Wallys or wherever is selling it cheapest, or wait till I find it for a ridiculously low price, that's fine, I can do that. I'm also willing to double dip on older titles released early on DVD that were grainy, non-anamporphic or the wrong aspect ratio the first time around. What I won't do is double dip if I have a good looking print of the movie unless it's something really close to my heart with lots of extras-maybe one in fifty movies qualify in that regard- then I'm willing to bite.....but as for the usual re-releases they can sit on the shelf and gather dust. For example, Daredevil or Hellboy.....I bought them both on release and I'm done, I own the movie and can watch it anytime I please now; their new super editions have no appeal to me. I work for a living- they aren't going to convince me I need 3 versions of the same movie for the extras which in so many cases are little more than propoganda or false hype anyway.
They surely make more off the American consumer than any other, so to give him the shitty end of the stick while the rest of the world gets the good stuff is deplorable. I find it hard to believe that the mainstream buyer goes out and buys 2-3 different versions of the same movie over the course of a few years, so the market they really target (pillage) is the DVD collector/ afficionado. If more of we whom they are targeting either go with region free players or simply refuse to double dip by either not buying the first edition or the re-release then maybe they'll rethink their strategy.....but probably not :P.

Last edited by nightmaster; 11-25-04 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-25-04, 01:36 PM

When the studio's started doing this I got Netflix now I just rent when I know there will be a double dip then find out that half of the movies completly suck and don't even bother buying any editions. Saves me alot of cash I used to do alot of blind buys if it was a nice set with A/V extras etc.
Old 11-25-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally posted by nightmaster
.....but as for the usual re-releases they can sit on the shelf and gather dust. For example, Daredevil or Hellboy.....I bought them both on release and I'm done, I own the movie and can watch it anytime I please now; their new super editions have no appeal to me. I work for a living- they aren't going to convince me I need 3 versions of the same movie for the extras which in so many cases are little more than propoganda or false hype anyway.
Don't forget Underworld.
Old 11-25-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by nightmaster
For example, Daredevil or Hellboy.....I bought them both on release and I'm done, I own the movie and can watch it anytime I please now; their new super editions have no appeal to me. I work for a living- they aren't going to convince me I need 3 versions of the same movie for the extras which in so many cases are little more than propoganda or false hype anyway.
In all fairness, Daredevil isn't really being re-released as a super edition wanting you to upgrade.
Old 11-25-04, 05:03 PM

I never buy R1...I own 450+ dvd's...I live in North America...and would NEVER buy an R1 disc....

They are more expensive, and often the picture quality isn't as good (at least for the films I like). City of God is a pefect example. The R1 was *AWFUL*
Old 11-25-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by splattii
I never buy R1...I own 450+ dvd's...I live in North America...and would NEVER buy an R1 disc....

They are more expensive, and often the picture quality isn't as good (at least for the films I like). City of God is a pefect example. The R1 was *AWFUL*
While that sounds good, you are missing out on a lot of good DVDs.
Old 11-25-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Dazed
which is why we shouldn't be buying a release that will obviously be double dipped (and probably fairly quickly too).

I really wanted this and The Day after Tomorrow, but i'll be patient and wait for the better version which will probably be out in a few months.
Most definitely.

It's been hard waiting for the Day After Tomorrow & I, Robot, especially since I wanted to see both, but missed 'em in the theatres, but in this day & age of studios getting to work on the DVD even before a movie is released, these kinds of "bare bones" releases in favour of a later "SE" double dip is really getting quite fucking ridiculous.

Yep, I know that no one's holding a gun to my head, but when they put out superior discs in other regions [r2 packaging not included] and we get shit, it just goes to show what suckers the studios think r1 consumers are...

Actually...now that I think about it, I should be grateful since the $$$ I would've spent on one of these FOX movies is now going to other, more worthy DVD releases.

Thanks FOX!
Old 11-25-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Well I told hollywood where they can shove it last week. I ordered my first region free player last week. Mostly because of this whole I, Robot joke of a release here. Ordered the region 3 version that has about 3-4 more hours of extras than the crap served up here in america. Way to go hollywood. Push people to the foreign market!
Welcome to the family....You are now one of us!!!!!

Old 11-25-04, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
While that sounds good, you are missing out on a lot of good DVDs.
Just because he says he's not buying the R1 discs, doesn't mean he's not getting the same movies from other countries. Chances are he's not missing out on a thing.
Old 11-25-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
The video has a little bit of edge enhancement and didn't get the supplements that some regions got, but it's far from awful. It's a pretty good disc, actually.
Old 11-25-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting. I have a 110" screen, and minus a bit of edge enhanement here and there, the R1 release was fine. The audio track sounded just fine as well. Very dynamic.

It's kind of hard to lump every single R1 release into the category of "picture quality isn't as good". Some indi and foreign films aren't as good as their other region releases, but not all. Oh yeah, and there is audio on the DVDs as well, not just video. People are more interested in the best video nowadays anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.