Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible problem with Riddick dvd

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-20-04, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think theres something wrong on the part where riddick starts fighting the necros on crematoria. after he jumps on one guy then shoots another the picture seems to stutter a bit. has anyone else noticed this? is this how its supposed to be or is there a problem with my disc?
Old 11-20-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do people NEVER think it is their hardware that is the problem? Automatically it's a DVD flaw.

In your case it is either the layer change pause or it could be a bad disc or your hardware.
Old 11-20-04, 01:48 AM

the same thing happens on my comp. i know its not the layer change pause because its just the picture that seems to stutter. the audio is still playing. when a layer change happens its like someone pauses the movie for a second. i remember the layer change being somewhere else. it looks like a couple frames have been inserted for a split second. on the back of the case it says there might be a subtle picture shift where the directors cut stuff was inserted. i just wanted to know if im the only one having this problem so i could just go exchange my disc. can someone with the directors cut please check their copy.
Old 11-20-04, 03:59 AM

I believe it skips because that is where they added new material. The director says something like that before the movie starts.
Old 11-20-04, 07:41 AM

Yes indeed you lot must never have watched the intro then as it doesnt just happen once in the film, it happens about 15 times! cannot beleve you only saw it happen once it bugged the hell out of me.
Old 11-20-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya I knew it wasnt my DVD player,but I could easily see why someone would think there disc is messed up,this is also the worst director's cut ive ever seen,who ever edited this DVD needs to be fired,plain and simple.
Old 11-20-04, 08:42 PM

I haven't yet seen it, but it almost sounds like they re-inserted the footage at the DVD level--i.e. jumping to another chunk of video at the added scenes, and then going back to the main movie track. Since this disc is director's cut only, there is absolutely NO excuse for something like that. Then again, even if it contained both cuts, they could still use seamless branching a la the Alien movies.
Old 11-21-04, 05:56 PM
Banned

The director's, David Touhy, explanation to this picture "stutter" was that when they created the Director's Cut that they actually cut the negative, and then used CGI to fill in the missing frame, thus creating the "jump".

Quite frankly, this doesn't make sense. It's almost as if this new material was not filmed at the same time as the rest of the film.

I mean seriously, there is no other director's cut of a movie in existance where this phenomenon occures. So why here? Who knows...
Old 11-21-04, 06:26 PM

thanks guys. i had skipped the intro when i first watched the movie because i thought he was just gonna talk about the new footage.
Old 11-21-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the intro said it was partially intentional so you know when new footage was added.
Old 11-22-04, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I thought the intro said it was partially intentional so you know when new footage was added.
Considering this has been done for no movie in the past (AFAIK), and people who are really curious can just compare the two versions, such a "partial intention" is very questionable.
Old 11-22-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't own the movie, and won't, ever...

But that's shitty. There's no excuse for something like that.
Old 11-22-04, 04:19 AM

Great movie, thought the additions brought the movie together better.
Old 11-22-04, 04:38 AM

A look at the extended version of 'The Abyss' will reveal the same issue, as when the negative of a film is cut (which almost never happens in our day of digital intermediates) a frame of film is destroyed at the splice point.
Old 11-22-04, 09:50 AM

You're talking about the quick flashes between shots when Riddick pulls his knife out of the Necro and first makes eye contact with Vaako, right? Believe it or not this was intentional. I remember seeing it in the theater. It's just the editing style of the action sequences. It works at times and at others its annoying. Don't forget, the film was originally rated PG-13, so they tried to suggest more violence rather than show it. I liked the film so much I bought both cuts. It is true that additional shots have been added to the sequence including the decapitation and when he releases his Furyan energy.

Last edited by sharkypuffs; 11-22-04 at 09:53 AM.