Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man 2 - THE New Demo DVD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider-Man 2 - THE New Demo DVD!

I was able to get a hold of a copy of Spider-Man 2. Everyone buying this DVD is in for a real treat. This is one of the finest 2-Disc Sets I have ever seen.

First of all the Transfer and Sound, well I think that this is possibly the most film-like transfer I've ever seen. And I think the Dolby Digital track just absolutely destroy's the best of the DTS tracks. Its perfectly designed. Dialogue is loud and clear, but not overbearing, the score pumps through the speakers with force, your sub will need to smoke a cigarette, and the surround speakers are incredibly active in the action sequence. Just go directly to Chapter 39, it goes from completely silent to bombastic. This sound mix rivals the best: Attack of the Clones, Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, 5th Element: Superbit, etc. The Train Fight is THE new Demo scene.

And then theres this fabulous 2hr.5min. doc. that rivals the best of the best (TPM, LOTR EE's, etc)

Now, I know theres a Superbit being released the same day. I wasn't able to get a hold of it, but honestly, I really can't see any room for improvement here, its likely that the DTS track won't have the same hoomp to it if ya know what I mean, if you don't, well theres some DTS tracks that just don't sound has bombastic has their DD counterparts.

But anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know that your in for a serious treat on the 30th.
Old 11-19-04, 03:13 PM
Banned

Sounds cool. I just wished I had a sub that could handle heavy bass. My left sub as a problem with sudden loud "thumps". I don't know if it's ruptured or if it's screw mountings have come loose.
Old 11-19-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad to hear how excellent the 2 disc set is! Can't wait til the 30th.
Old 11-19-04, 03:24 PM
Banned

haha! Theres a whole bit on the DVD of Sam abusing actors! lol! This disc rules!
Old 11-19-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been waiting for this disc since I saw the movie back in June. I wanted to see it again, but somehow never got around to it. I figured, it'll be on DVD soon enough. And it looks to be worth the wait. Hard to believe a comic book superhero movie is in my top 10 for the year, two years in a row (X2).

K
Old 11-19-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder now if I should've just ordered the 2-disc instead of the superbit.
Old 11-19-04, 03:41 PM
Banned

I really don't see the need for a Superbit here. The DD track is unbelievable, I highly doubt a Superbit is going to make any difference. But again its up to you. DTS freaks will probably think I'm insane though.
Old 11-19-04, 03:53 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully I can hold out for 2.5.
Old 11-19-04, 03:58 PM
Banned

QuiGonJosh: What kind of system were you using to check this disc out on?
Old 11-19-04, 04:04 PM
Banned

32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

granted, its not the biggest system in the world, but it gets the job done.

I just have a analog TV, but I can still tell a good transfer from a bad one and this is a great one.
Old 11-19-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool beans, I was planning on buying the 2-disc version anyway (my brother will probably get the Superbit version).
Old 11-19-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

I just have a analog TV, but I can still tell a good transfer from a bad one and this is a great one.
By "Sony DD/DTS Sound System" do you mean a HTIB?
Old 11-19-04, 04:17 PM

Awesome news! I cannot wait for this dvd. I loved the movie.
Old 11-19-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

Thanks for the review. I am on the fence for this between the regular edition, the Superbit, or wait for 2.5.

No offense to your set-up but a 65 inch 16X9 HDTV can show big differences in transfers when comparing a transferto a 32 inch standard TV.
Old 11-19-04, 04:39 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darn! I was going to get the superbit version. Now I am undecided
Old 11-19-04, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Thanks for the review. I am on the fence for this between the regular edition, the Superbit, or wait for 2.5.

No offense to your set-up but a 65 inch 16X9 HDTV can show big differences in transfers when comparing a transferto a 32 inch standard TV.
I agree.
Old 11-19-04, 04:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i guess we'll have to see some comparisons, hopefully soon. i myself have the Superbit ordered, but could double dip as i think this one is worth it.
Old 11-19-04, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by brianluvdvd

oh of course I know, notice I didn't go into detail on the image, because I'm sure some a-hole will say theres EE or something, but I can see EE on mine and this one didn't have any. Its a definate demo for Sound though. The 5.1 track is one of the best!
Old 11-19-04, 06:15 PM

i ordered both since i ended up getting both of the first spider-mans too. i like them enough that i want the commentaries/extras + best visual/audio quality.

why they couldn't have a single 2 disc release with disc 1 being a superbit with dts and commentaries and then disc 2 for extras i don't know. a commentary can be a mono 200mb track which really won't affect a superbit that much.

it's the extra video from trailors and deleted scenes that suck up all the mb. even animated menus can get quite large sometimes.
Old 11-19-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think I called this back during the test screening when Doc Ock did his experiment. That boom was just too perfect for demo dvding.
Old 11-19-04, 07:00 PM
Suspended

*sigh* Pity that the disc is so damn good, cause I'm going to have to sit this one out. With Marvel's bullshit lawsuit againt Cryptic Studios (the City of Heroes guys) and their underhanded strong arm bully tatics, I'm gonna give this one a miss.

I know that I'm just one lone man againt the horde - but a person's gotta do what they think is right. Ah well.
Old 11-19-04, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree this disc is great! I was disappointed with the fluffy extras disc for the first movie and this one more than makes up for it. The Raimi/Maguire commentary is also excellent.
Old 11-20-04, 03:44 AM
Banned

I havent had a chance to listen to the whole commentary, but I did sample it and it sounded like fun. Theres some great easter eggs on the second disc. One is on the Making Of, simply press up, and enter. The other is on the Languages menu, press left, then enter. And then theres one on Disc One. Highlight a spider on the commentaries menu, right above the main menu selection.

Also heres some reviews, that seem to be saying what I'm saying here.

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=4656

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=5344
Old 11-20-04, 03:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
*sigh* Pity that the disc is so damn good, cause I'm going to have to sit this one out. With Marvel's bullshit lawsuit againt Cryptic Studios (the City of Heroes guys) and their underhanded strong arm bully tatics, I'm gonna give this one a miss.

I know that I'm just one lone man againt the horde - but a person's gotta do what they think is right. Ah well.
whatever, your seriously missing out.
Old 11-20-04, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I agree. Besides doesn't skipping this disc send more of a message to Sony than Marvel?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.