Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Westworld and/or Making of Westworld-seen them?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen Westworld many years ago and remember enjoying it. Later I found out part of it was filmed at Green Acres, the home of silent film comedian Harold Lloyd, who I love.

Does the making of talk about the home or show more of it?

Does the movie still hold up? Considering buying it but it's been at least 25 years since I saw it.

Host Sean MacLaughlin goes behind the scenes of Michael Crichton's 1973 film about a robot rebellion at a wild west-themed amusement park. Includes rare footage, interviews, and newsreels.

On Amazon there are two reviews and it sounds like they saw different shows:

1 star-MISLEADING!-As a fan of the Westworld movie I eagerly bought this, only to find that it barely has anythind to do with it. There is a look at Yul Bryner's film career which was interesting but mostly irrelevant to the title. There are two sections (which use the same footage) covering robots and robots in movies. The actual part covering the movie was so short that it passed in the blink of an eye. I really felt like I had picked something up from a market stall that had been knocked together in someone's back bedroom. I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole!

4 stars-WHAT A TRIP!- loved this DVD! I mean, I love the movie 'Westworld' but this DVD really captured the essence of what it must have been like to make this movie.

And what's more, I was shocked to see the host of this program, Sean McLaughlin, so handsome in a tux, and with both of his arms still intact! I remember McLaughlin from his Vietnam movies and his cameos on A-Team, but when I saw him pawning off this delicious slice of tripe to the fans, I knew I must have died and gone to heaven. Forever yours Sean McLaughlin, forever yours. big kisses
Old 11-14-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DVD is average at best. It's an early MGM-Turner DVD (Warner re-issued it with a better cover) that was probably converted from a non-anamorphic master to 16x9.

It only has a trailer, too. There's a featurette that airs on TCM sometimes that would have been a good extra.
Old 11-22-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. I didn't end up ordering at this time.
Old 11-22-04, 03:12 PM

Westworld is one of my favorite movies growing up so I have both the released DVD's and the "Making of" DVD. The movie DVD would make a great "midnight movie" but even though I love it I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else until it gets a big price drop to way under 10 bucks. The "Making Of" DVD is some sort of rip-off as it is more about movie robots in general than anything else it pretends to be. I think the actual feature about Westworld only runs 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by Keith123; 11-22-04 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 03:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
...does "Futureworld" ring a bell?
Old 11-22-04, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

A bit off-topic but....

If you're ever on the 101 Loop in Scottsdale, AZ, and see an exit for Westworld, don't bother. It has nothing to do with the movie (it's a Rodeo complex).

Just trying to save all of you the disappointment that I recently experienced.

I'm all for an SE of the film. It's way better than the remake (Jurassic Park).
Old 11-22-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Westworld is fantastic.

I had the same fears, but if you liked it then, you'll still love it now.

I really hope that rumoured remake (with Arnie/Stallone or whoever the hell is supposed to be in it now) doesn't happen...
Old 11-22-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by solpo
It's way better than the remake (Jurassic Park).

A bit of trivia - Westworld was directed by Michael Crichton himself, who wrote both it and Jurassic Park.
Old 11-22-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw it during it's theatrical run...back when I was a wee lad. my mum always took me to cool movies. deserves a little more love though.
Old 11-22-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Numanoid

A bit of trivia - Westworld was directed by Michael Crichton himself, who wrote both it and Jurassic Park.
hence the comment.