Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Robocop Question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Robocop Question

Old 11-12-04, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robocop Question

Tonight I saw Robocop at WalMart for $7.50. IIRC, it was an anamorphic widescreen, the only bonus being the trailer.

I saw the review for the trilogy, but I'm not interested enough in the sequels to buy it. I'm only interested in the first film.

What's the audio/video quality of this disc like? Is there any difference between this and the first movie in the three-pack?
Old 11-12-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Robocop Question

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
Tonight I saw Robocop at WalMart for $7.50. IIRC, it was an anamorphic widescreen, the only bonus being the trailer.

I saw the review for the trilogy, but I'm not interested enough in the sequels to buy it. I'm only interested in the first film.

What's the audio/video quality of this disc like? Is there any difference between this and the first movie in the three-pack?
There are many versions of Robocop, see the reviews here: Robocop
Old 11-12-04, 06:08 PM

Ah, thanks.

It was the MGM one, with the 12-26-01 date. I'm off to read the review...

... hmm, looks like I should keep my eye out for the longer SE version. Yes?

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 11-12-04 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
Ah, thanks.

It was the MGM one, with the 12-26-01 date. I'm off to read the review...

... hmm, looks like I should keep my eye out for the longer SE version. Yes?
You might as well get the new Trilogy set. It's cheap enough, and you get the extended UR version of Robocop, plus some extras, the two sequals and not to mention a cool package design.
Old 11-13-04, 08:17 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I'd buy the trilogy, its a decent price for all 3 movies.
Old 05-27-10, 03:00 AM

With the Robocop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition DVD is it only the first run that is in the steelbook? If I buy the version that is available on Amazon at the moment will this come in a steelbook or a regular case?
Old 05-27-10, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lutz
With the Robocop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition DVD is it only the first run that is in the steelbook? If I buy the version that is available on Amazon at the moment will this come in a steelbook or a regular case?
There's two listings on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016ARZ2Y
Marketplace ('used & new') sellers only, but you're guaranteed to get it in the steelbook since it's specified in the item title: "Robocop 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition Steelbook" (and furthermore is specifically stated as steelbook in all the current marketplace listings). The marketplace listings describe the steelbook as being OOP.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QQH4YS/
Available new from Amazon in addition to marketplace sellers: list price $19.98, Amazon price $17.49. Item title is "Robocop (20th Anniversary Collector's Edition)" - doesn't specify steelbook. There are currently two 'collectible'-category marketplace listings on it that guarantee a steelbook in their descriptions.

People have complained about ordering from the second listing and receiving it in a regular keepcase rather than the still-pictured steelbook... Amazon emailed saying that the steelbook was limited edition and they're out of luck:
www.amazon.com/Amazon-longer-sells-STEELBOOK-version/forum/Fx1RKABVIU7QCY1/Tx2KV2CTBVCGY1L/1/

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:51 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-27-10, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I got mine initially with the Steelbook-Didn't know that it was a limited run-
Old 05-27-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also be aware, there was a problem with one of the discs in some of the steelbook run... I forget now what it was... I think it was the second disc and a problem with access on the menu....
Old 05-29-10, 12:37 AM

Some more confirmation of the steelbook's retirement:

forum.dvdtalk.com/9220398-post288.html : "Re: Definitive List of DVD's with SteelBook™ cases. (Part IV)"
Originally Posted by crackab, 01-24-09
Overstock.com has contract steelbook for 11.12 and Paris for 16.19. Although at overstock, the picture for Paris steelbook is wrong. And they still advertise Robocop steelbook, which I have tried to purchase there and it ALWAYS comes as regular case.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 10:15 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-29-10, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by hasslein
Also be aware, there was a problem with one of the discs in some of the steelbook run... I forget now what it was... I think it was the second disc and a problem with access on the menu....
Here's what I found about disc defects. There are two potential problems to watch out for.

www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/256295/robocop-20th-anniversary-ce-aug-21-both-cuts-included#post_3218933
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin, 8/21/07
ALL CANADIAN BUYERS BEWARE!!!

I bought, exchanged, returned again and got my money refunded on this new steelbook release, when I discovered a MASSIVE defect that is now widespread throughout all of Canada:

The defect is this - Disc 1 and Disc 2 are exactly the same, both are disc 1. Except that they have the correct labels, so open the case and you will see discs 1 and 2, but disc 2 is just disc 1 with the disc 2 label on it.
www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/256295/robocop-20th-anniversary-ce-aug-21-both-cuts-included/30#post_3224637
Originally Posted by Shawn DuHast, 8/30/07
This has just been posted on The Digital Bits about problems with the US DVD as well!

"In other news, we're looking into a couple of disc issues that readers are reporting today. The first involve MGM's new RoboCop: 20th Anniversary Edition DVD. The Canadian version apparently includes two Disc Ones, even though one of the discs is labeled Disc Two. The U.S. version apparently isn't letting people select the DTS, audio commentary or French language audio. "
www.amazon.com/review/RFIZMEH69BF0O/
Originally Posted by Dave Cordes, August 28, 2007
On the cusp of HD, RoboCop gets re-released as a 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition DVD that portends quick obsolescence but you shouldn't let that dissuade you from purchasing this standard def DVD to tide you over until the HD format war has ended. However, it appears that there is a "glitch" more severe than a malfunctioning ED-209 present on Canadian versions of disc 2 with a duplication of disc 1 onto disc 2; and the first copy I purchased here in the US had an authoring glitch that would not allow me to select the DTS or alternate audio tracks on Disc 2.
As Murphy's Law would have it, ironically, I ended up having to return my first copy to the store I purchased it from because I was not able to select the DTS track on disc 2. The department manager and I tested this on different players and on another copy and confirmed the problem. Since originally writing this review I have recently obtained another copy from a different retailer and it did not have any of the problems selecting the audio tracks so I must have got one from a bad batch and hopefully it is fairly isolated.
www.robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=783 : "Error on the 20th Anniversary DVDs in Canada"
Originally Posted by Johan, Tue Aug 07, 2007
Seems they made a mistake in the manufacturing process on the Anniversary Edition DVD. And although the artwork on the disc is correct, the actual content is the same as on the first disc. As far as we know, this is on EVERY Canadian version of the set and they're being recalled.
Originally Posted by ?, Sun Aug 26, 2007
Here's a funny story. I called the MGM decfective DVD hotline. I was redirected to a new number. Turned out to be the number to the Sony hotline, the person on the other side told me they didn't handle MGM complaints so they gave me the number to FOX Home hotline. The lady on that line said they didn't deal with RoboCop (even tho it's advertised on their website) and told me she couldn't help. I called MGM's corporate office. The number I was given was the same as the Sony hotline! One big fricking circle!
Originally Posted by ?, Tue Aug 28, 2007
GOT MINE TODAY FROM PLAY USA here in the uk and mine has the same problem gutted
Originally Posted by ?, Tue Sep 04, 2007
GOT MY R3 VERSION no errors but the packaging is crap
Originally Posted by RoboStud, Sep 04, 2007
Took a quick peek at Disc 2 of Amazon.com USA version with my laptop at work. Seems to be OK, showing what Disc 2 is suppose to be.

I just take a peek at Disc 1 of Amazon.com USA version, it's fine as well. I am glad no error on this version.
Originally Posted by DJR2096, Sep 29, 2008
Well I finely got my 20th Anniversary Editon from e-bay today.
Aaaaaaaaaand mine is the one with the same content on both discs
www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110553&page=2
Originally Posted by Mikey2Dope, 08-24-2007
Hey Canadians. Got this from the DVD talk boards about *possible* replacements:

Just followed up on an e-mail that I got back from MGM regarding the release. This is seriously screwed if you ask me. Here's the jist of it:

They gave me some California number to call. I call and explain the problem and they say call some toll free number which covers defective DVDs.

I call that number, explain again, and apparantly they only deal with Sony DVDs now. They give me another number to call.

I call this last number, and explain (again!!!) what's wrong. The girl I talk to first can't really figure out what DVD I am talking about, then she finally figures out it's the 20th Anniversary Edition. She says that I can mail the DVD to them, with the receipt, etc (to frigging California!) and they will mail me back a replacement disc in 6-8 weeks!!!!

Apparantly my call is the first they have heard of this problem. So in the end, anyone who got the FUBAR edition, you can score a replacement disc sometime in probably October.

If you want the phone number, it's 1-888-223-2369

The address I got to send it to is:

Fox Consumers (They're apparantly in charge of the release?)
20102 S Vermont Ave
Torrance, CA
Attn: Erica
Originally Posted by m_burlock, 08-31-2007
I was in an HMV here in Canada yesterday and told my contact (the manager;we're on good terms) about the fuck-up. He said they (HMV) pulled all of those copies and that a new batch had come in (specifically sent by MGM Canada personally for the purpose of replacing the defective ones with good ones) with a different bar code number. He asserted that the ones in new batch were OK. Problem solved?

P.S.
The defective one's bar code number ends with "997". The replacement's bar code number ends with "998". That's how you can tell the difference when looking at them in the store.
Originally Posted by m_burlock, 09-04-2007
I watched my copy over the holiday weekend and it's the way it's supposed to be. One disc 1 and one disc 2 and all Special Features were intact and were where they were supposed to be.

The "Picture" re. indoors shots were too "dark" IMHO. The "Sound" was excellent. Over all, the "Picture" was fairly good.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 10:15 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-29-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember that the 1 disc mgm verison has an extreme blue tint and people were pissed
Old 05-29-10, 12:45 AM

Since my question is regarding RoboCop I figured I would ask here instead of make a different thread. I am looking to buy a copy and wanted to know what everyone else thought. If you had a chance to buy either, not both, would you get the Criterion edition of the 2 disc Steelbook?
Old 05-29-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
Since my question is regarding RoboCop I figured I would ask here instead of make a different thread. I am looking to buy a copy and wanted to know what everyone else thought. If you had a chance to buy either, not both, would you get the Criterion edition of the 2 disc Steelbook?
If your picky about aspect ratios, Verhoven claims to prefer the 1:66 of the criterion (although its non anamorphic) the steelbook is 1:78 and has dts 5.1 sound and a ton of extras
Old 05-29-10, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hendersonfan
Since my question is regarding RoboCop I figured I would ask here instead of make a different thread. I am looking to buy a copy and wanted to know what everyone else thought. If you had a chance to buy either, not both, would you get the Criterion edition or the 2 disc Steelbook?
Personally I have the Criterion edition, bought it recently at a closing Hollywood Video. If you love behind-the-scenes extras or surround sound, you should probably get the 20th Anniversary edition. The Criterion edition does have some advantages, but since I do love behind-the-scenes extras I may well end up buying the 20th Anniversary edition someday too.

I'll designate 'pros' with '+', cons with '-':

The Criterion edition:
+ presents the movie as the director preferred, 1.66:1 aspect ratio (the only release to do that; all others are 1.85:1)
- is non-anamorphic
+ aside from non-anamorphicness, video transfer is better than the non-Criterion editions: "offered bolder colors, a slightly sharper image, darker blacks, and better balanced shadows"
+ has unique extra features only available on this OOP release
- doesn't have behind-the-scenes features like the 20th Anniversary edition's
+ in this commentary, "they switch between the recordings made separately so there's more focus on stories and facts"
+ according to dvdbeaver, is the release with the longest runtime: director's cut with a length of 1:43:33
- has only Dolby Digital 2.0 sound
- (minor) has only English closed-captioning, no subtitles
+ (minor) has more chapter designations, 27 (vs 16)

The 2-disc 20th Anniversary edition (Steelbook and otherwise):
- has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio (crops the top/bottom compared to the director's preferred 1.66:1; reportedly noticeable in 'talking head' scenes losing the top of the head)
+ is anamorphic
- aside from anamorphicness, video transfer is reportedly not quite as nice as the Criterion edition (but is better than previous non-Criterion editions, and does gets the color right vs the previous non-Criterion editions that were bluer/darker than intended)
+ has a bunch of behind-the-scenes extra features
- of course doesn't have the Criterion extra features
- in this commentary, "they all talk at the same time"
- has theatrical cut (1:42:40) and extended cut (according to dvdbeaver, 1:43:08 - seems to have not added as much stuff back in as the Criterion director's cut did - 28 seconds vs 53 seconds!)
+ has DD 4.0, DD 5.1, and DTS 5.1 sound (and a DD 2.0 French dub version)
+ (minor) in addition to English closed-captioning, has English subtitles and Spanish subtitles
- (minor) has fewer chapter designations, 16 (vs 27)
+ the OOP Steelbook is of course cool and shiny (but would've been bettery with silvery/blueish color scheme rather than orange-y )

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 10:17 AM. Reason: enable sig