Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like Guzzlefish is finally getting updated!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.guzzlefish.com/posts.php?topicid=3751
Old 11-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Too little, too late.

Thanks for theads up though.
Old 11-10-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No shit, I'm not bothering with updating...
Old 11-10-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I deleted my collection, but out of curiousity I checked to see if the DVDs I had been trying to add were in their database yet. The answer is no. Still no Quantum Leap Season One, Mystic River WS single disc, ...
Old 11-10-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Moved my cds, moved my dvds, all done with these jokers.
Old 11-10-04, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info. Updated my list.
Old 11-10-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
This fish was caught and released months ago.

I then burned my fishing license.
Old 11-10-04, 11:27 PM

first off, lemme say that i understand the principle of the idea of giving up on Guzzlefish. i understand that its very frustrating to want to use a service but find it stalled or to find a lack of updates, etc, etc... however i don't understand how so many people can give up on such a great service when it takes NO EFFORT to maintain your collection on the site during the downtime. i could understand if they leeched a membership fee during that time...but the site is free.

im about to go through and attempt an update of my collection. i hope i like what i find. if not, i plan to let my collection simmer until they get everything up and running. even if that never happens i'll have put forth minimal effort. i think that is a fair deal for a database that is so user friendly and feature/stat rich when running on all cylinders.

i hope those of you who still haven't deleted your collection will do the same.
Old 11-11-04, 12:00 AM

looks like i was able to update all but two titles out of probably 35+. i'm happy with that and i'll be submitting those two titles for inclusion in the database. FYI: the two titles not found are the first season of Rides and a video/live performance dvd from an Australian band.
Old 11-11-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I updated my collection. While I like the ability to see the listings of actors, directors, decades, etc., the thing that sucks is that box sets all count as 1. Which really gives an inaccurate count of my total.
Old 11-11-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I ended up updating mine. Since it's not as slow as it used to be, it wasn't that much effort (not as much as putting them in in the first place, at least).
Old 11-11-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will update eventually, but I bet I have over 100changes to make. Lots have come in, lots have gone out since my last update.
Old 11-11-04, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
first off, lemme say that i understand the principle of the idea of giving up on Guzzlefish. i understand that its very frustrating to want to use a service but find it stalled or to find a lack of updates, etc, etc... however i don't understand how so many people can give up on such a great service when it takes NO EFFORT to maintain your collection on the site during the downtime. i could understand if they leeched a membership fee during that time...but the site is free.
We're giving up on it because there are so many other free and easy-to-use dvd cataloging sites like dvdaf and dvd profiler.

As for people deleting their gf collections...we're anal bastards who want these things perfect so we cut bait and move on to other sites with all the benefits (other then the stats) and none of the headache.

Last edited by TopHatCat64; 11-11-04 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-11-04, 06:23 AM

Check through your collection listings very carefully. I found a lot of titles listed that I never physically added myself. And a good percentage of them were Spanish DVD/VHS films. I realized it because the culmination stat page for my collection showed me having 4 VHS titles. I should have none, so that got me scanning through my entire (700+) collection listings. It also had me owning "Reba: Season One"!!!!!! I wouldn't own it if someone paid me to. Anyways, check through carefully. I haven't checked to see if any previously-submitted titles have been deleted or not. Glad to see Guzzlefish up and running again.
Old 11-11-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't see any titles that I didn't personally add in my collection. Maybe it's an isolated thing.

I haven't updated my Guzzlefish in months. I'm not sure I'm going to now, it's a real pain to figure out what I've purchased since they went down. I really like their stats and the UI, but I just don't think I want to go to the effort now.
Old 11-11-04, 02:49 PM
Banned

No one can beat DVDAF if ya ask me...

GF has a lot of good features, but the site is just desolate when it comes to updating
Old 11-11-04, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will have to try to update my collection. But the big question is whether they are going to stay on top of it this time.
Old 11-11-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I went and updated just for kicks. Still misreporting some numbers (Chow Yun Fat movies are x4 for Most Actors) but all my discs were there now.
Old 11-11-04, 04:12 PM

If people are still looking for a good service jump to DVDspot.com. The best DVD cataloger I have used yet IMO. Blows away DVDaf and Profiler IMO.
Old 11-11-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
If people are still looking for a good service jump to DVDspot.com. The best DVD cataloger I have used yet IMO. Blows away DVDaf and Profiler IMO.
Can you add your own titles or do they control what can get added?
Old 11-11-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sracer
Can you add your own titles or do they control what can get added?
You can submit titles to them that aren't in the database, and they're accepted within 24 hours.

If you stumble upon something that normally isn't listed, Croy will bend over backwards to help you get it on your list, much like he did when we had a problem listing DVD's that had no UPC code.
Old 11-11-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Well, I went ahead and updated, although I'm not sure why! In my opinion, the site is just as slow as it ever was, and I have a broadband connection, so it's pretty obvious. They had all of my titles now - except that they didn't have the correct UPC for "To End All Wars" and I had to enter it by searching for the title! I'm not going to bother taking the time to figure out why - but, DVD Profiler shows me owning 300 DVD's, which is easy to see because each one is numbered in alphabetical order, while gFish only shows me with 293! I know that I have been unable to enter my R-2 DVDs, but there are only 2 of those, so that still makes a difference of 5 between DVDProfiler and Guzzlefish! Wh knows??
Old 11-11-04, 10:36 PM

my collection was deleted during the down time. i dont know how but i definately wont update my collection now.
Old 11-11-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally posted by WestEndRiot
I can get a boot to the groin for free, but I don't want that either.

But seriously, many here have hundreds of DVDs, put some faith in GF and spent A LOT of time entering them, then had it go stagnant for a year. With other and better choices out there, why go back? Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 11-12-04, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by MovieExchange
You can submit titles to them that aren't in the database, and they're accepted within 24 hours.

If you stumble upon something that normally isn't listed, Croy will bend over backwards to help you get it on your list, much like he did when we had a problem listing DVD's that had no UPC code.
Ah, so they control what can be added. I doubt they'll add "Roger Corman's Fantastic Four" or "Song of the South", or any of the other "questionable" titles some of us may have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.