Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-04, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by drjay
I've been crawling around for info on a 2001 rerelease which was mentioned somewhere, and saw this on The Digital Bits

Interesting indeed. You've gotta assume there'd be more than 30 extra seconds and a trailer on there though, or at least I hope. I'll post if I ever find the 2001 info.
if you're still interested in digging around for it, I believe it is a one line blurb buried in something related to the latest Dr. Strangelove re-release.
Old 11-24-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Grubert

The R2 release of The Shining contains the shorter cut. [/B]
Oh, I know, I'd just always rather have a R1 release than a R2 if everything else is equal.

Also, every time I bid on the R2 on E-bay, it gets too pricey. I'm curious, but I don't care *that* much. I'm waiting for a lull when I can grab it for about ten bucks with shipping.
Old 12-06-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gorgo99
The laserdisc of Lolita was the same aspect ratio as the DVD... 1.66:1. I don't think it was supposed to rotate like Strangelove's.
I meant the Criterion LD (with Kubrick's approved transfer), not the other one.
Old 12-06-04, 08:45 PM

Killer's Kiss is able to circulate because Kubrick didn't control the rights(and his estate doesn't now). He owned/they own the shorts and Fear and Desire outright, I believe.

I'm personally not too interested in seeing Fear and Desire. Killer's Kiss is pretty bad, with one interesting scene. I think Kubrick had an honest self-critic inside, and didn't ignore them for Lucas-like reasons, but because they really are pretty bad movies.
Old 12-06-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluesparrow
I'm personally not too interested in seeing Fear and Desire. Killer's Kiss is pretty bad, with one interesting scene. I think Kubrick had an honest self-critic inside, and didn't ignore them for Lucas-like reasons, but because they really are pretty bad movies.
'Fear and Desire' is a bad movie; it's not even especially well-directed, though it's hard to be *sure* since it's a low-generation bootleg. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt on that, and there are a few moments of raw genius from what I remember. But, mostly, it's bad.

'Killer's Kiss' I remember thinking was a terrible script but pretty well-directed, and did what he set out to do with it. But, yeah, as a movie, it doesn't do much.

Then again, Kubrick also thought parts of 'Paths of Glory' were amateurish, so I think he tended to be overly hard on his own work.
Old 12-08-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump. So I was watching Lolita and thought....I would really love some special edition Kubrick titles...then i started looking around...and found this info...

Warner confirmed new 2001 and other Kubrick SE back in the March HTF Chat, since then its been pretty quiet... But I read this at the HTF and thought you guys & Gals would want to know...

Malcolm McDowell gave a 2hr talk in Melbourne last week (at the launch of the ACMI Stanley Kubrick exhibition) and spoke at length about his career. He did throw some hints to the audience that should be of interest to folks on this board. McDowell mentioned how he had been trying to get Lindsay Anderson's IF - among other titles from his back catalogue - onto DVD with a commentary by him, but had no luck until a recent oneoff screening organised by Jay Roach led to the studio that currently owns IF contacting him. McDowell bemoaned the difficulties in pursuading various studios to release certain older films, and mentioned a recent illustrative story. McDowell was contacted more recently to record a commentary for a particular Stanley Kubrick movie (no prizes for guessing which one) and responded that he would record a commentary for THAT film only if the studio would agree to let him record a commentary for a certain Lindsay Anderson film - made two years later - that he remains very fond of. The studio agreed. McDowell has recorded both commentaries. Both titles should be coming out next year.

McDowell's talk was a good one, and fans of his work should enjoy the above news if true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also a list of movie specifinc, and Kubrick threads worth looking at

Any news on "2001: A Space Odyssey" rerelease?

Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures Documentary

Full Metal jacket & A Clockwork Orange ?'s <---discussion on Kubrick aspect ratios

Dr. Strangelove aspect ratio/anamorphic question

Dr. Strangelove: SE

2-disc Dr. Strangelove in the works

New Eyes Wide Shut DVD?

The Stanley Kubrick Archives <--- BOOK TALK. This went a long way to debunk the Aspect Ratio Issues, Everyone should buy a copy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard that they will be putting both Widescreen and open matte aspect ratios on the disc that their is confusion on.
Old 12-08-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
McDowell was contacted more recently to record a commentary for a particular Stanley Kubrick movie
Old 12-08-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Malcolm McDowell commentary on A Clockwork Orange? Wow...short of a Kubrick commentary, that's about the best news for this release. It's very exciting to think that we might finally get some (significant) special features on the Warner Bros. Kubrick titles.

I only hope that Mr. McDowell wasn't making the same mistake that some actors/crew members tend to do and confuse "commentary" with "interview." An example off the top of my head would be when Natalie Portman said that she had done "commentary" for Leon: The Professional, when it was really just an interview (unless there was some actual commentary that she had done which was unused/removed).
Old 12-08-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
McDowell was contacted more recently to record a commentary for a particular Stanley Kubrick movie
I pray he didn't have a cameo in Eyes Wide Shut.
Old 12-10-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope that the box set price is a bit more affordable than the last incarnation...somehing around hitchcock signature set pricing...
Old 12-10-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
[/B]

The R2 release of The Shining contains the shorter cut.
Which is better than the American cut, in my opinion, if only for the omission of the "skeletons in the lobby" scene.
Old 12-10-05, 08:09 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Which is better than the American cut, in my opinion, if only for the omission of the "skeletons in the lobby" scene.
Well, I suppose it's good someone took that opinion home...otherwise, it'd be all alone out in the cold...
Old 12-10-05, 04:00 PM

Found this on the Home Theater Forum. Just to add a bit more fuel to the rumour.

Quote from HTF

Malcolm McDowell gave a 2hr talk in Melbourne last week (at the launch of the ACMI Stanley Kubrick exhibition) and spoke at length about his career. He did throw some hints to the audience that should be of interest to folks on this board. McDowell mentioned how he had been trying to get Lindsay Anderson's IF - among other titles from his back catalogue - onto DVD with a commentary by him, but had no luck until a recent oneoff screening organised by Jay Roach led to the studio that currently owns IF contacting him. McDowell bemoaned the difficulties in pursuading various studios to release certain older films, and mentioned a recent illustrative story. McDowell was contacted more recently to record a commentary for a particular Stanley Kubrick movie (no prizes for guessing which one) and responded that he would record a commentary for THAT film only if the studio would agree to let him record a commentary for a certain Lindsay Anderson film - made two years later - that he remains very fond of. The studio agreed. McDowell has recorded both commentaries. Both titles should be coming out next year.

Link to original thread... HTF
Old 12-10-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found this quote from earlier in this thread, thought it might add some fuel to the fuel tank...

Old 12-10-05, 09:59 PM

D-oh
Old 12-10-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

we need a learn to read smiley.
Old 12-10-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really hope it's anamorphic this time.

McDowell did do a commentary for Time After Time, so my guess is that he was indeed talking about a commentary.
Old 12-11-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ i have a feeling they will put both aspect ratios on these. It seems the only way to please everyone...and it is still not been set in stone that they are supposed to be displayed open matte
Old 12-11-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A good 4:3 open matte version is just fine if you have a non-anamorphic zoom mode in your player or TV. You can simply use the zoom to crop to 1.78:1 or so, quite close to the theatrical 1.85 ratio. For those with widescreen TVs.
Old 12-12-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ i have a feeling they will put both aspect ratios on these. It seems the only way to please everyone...and it is still not been set in stone that they are supposed to be displayed open matte

I think the only 3 movies that are currently presented on dvd in open matte format (whereas they were 1.85 or whatever in the theater) are Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut. Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon all have aspect rations that are wider than 1.33 but less than 1.78, so the dvds are "widescreen" but they are unfortunately nonanamorphic.

2001 is of course anamorphic......and I'm not sure what the deal is with Dr. Strangelove...... it has a confusing aspect ratio history for me.
Old 12-12-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
A good 4:3 open matte version is just fine if you have a non-anamorphic zoom mode in your player or TV. You can simply use the zoom to crop to 1.78:1 or so, quite close to the theatrical 1.85 ratio. For those with widescreen TVs.
A zoomed non-anamorphic letterbox disc will look like crap in comparison to a true anamorphic transfer.
Old 12-12-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All depends on the transfer and your equipment, Josh, which you know better than I. It's true that most NA widescreen transfers are cheesy crap that looks like it was copied from a VHS, even on a 20" screen. But a 4:3 that has been redone can look just fine. Some of the movies in question aren't in great shape, anyway, are they? Anamorphic can't change film noise, etc.

Kubrick was a short-sighted idiot when it came to home video, though. If he was halfway practical, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Old 12-12-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
These dvd's do contain the films in their OTAR's. You can simply obscure the top and bottom parts, which is exactly what was done in theaters....

The difference in resolution simply doesn't amount to that much difference in quality.

I don't know what you're watching your anamorphic DVDs on, but I can see a huge difference between an anamorphic transfer vs non anamorphic one. Obviously, the bigger your screen, the bigger the difference will be.

I've been waiting for a very long time to get OTAR versions of these on DVD that are anamorphically enhaced.
Old 12-12-05, 12:09 PM

Will Dr. Strangelove get another rerelease since they just came out with one not too long ago? Or will they just put the current 2 disc set in with the rest of them in the box set?
Old 12-12-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
Will Dr. Strangelove get another rerelease since they just came out with one not too long ago? Or will they just put the current 2 disc set in with the rest of them in the box set?
Strangelove is owned by Sony/Columbia TriStar. That movie was included in the last Kubrick box set due to a cross-licensing arrangement with Warner. I doubt Sony has plans for any new DVD release of the movie, and I also doubt that Warner would license the existing disc from them again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.