Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

Old 10-24-07, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Your screen goes black in the middle of the opening credits? Mine certainly doesn't.
Yea! I know, I'm quite annoyed by this. The opening is one of, if not, my favorite of all time! The screen goes black for ten seconds, the sound just cuts out too, but that comes back after about 7 seconds, so before the picture returns. Very annoying!!

I'll just run to Walmart and buy another copy tomorrow. I've spent almost $90 with the boxset, BL and Lolita, so another few bucks won't hurt. Plus I'll get a slipcover!
Old 10-24-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Yea! I know, I'm quite annoyed by this. The opening is one of, if not, my favorite of all time! The screen goes black for ten seconds, the sound just cuts out too, but that comes back after about 7 seconds, so before the picture returns. Very annoying!!

I'll just run to Walmart and buy another copy tomorrow. I've spent almost $90 with the boxset, BL and Lolita, so another few bucks won't hurt. Plus I'll get a slipcover!
You should return it for an exchange rather than buying a second. Don't reward them for messing a copy up.
Old 10-24-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the deal with no Full Metal Jacket on Amazon?
Old 10-24-07, 11:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you should absolutely not buy another copy...Exchange it.
Old 10-24-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So any pics of these supposedly awesome slipcovers?
Old 10-24-07, 11:30 PM

My Best Buy had a Kubrick set today and Target had two sets. I decided to only buy Eyes Wide Shut. I like Full Metal Jacket, hate 2001, and never seen the other two. I decided to skip[the box set.
Old 10-24-07, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by jmj713
What's the deal with no Full Metal Jacket on Amazon?
Find post #614
Old 10-24-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmj713
What do the reportedly beautiful slipcovers look like for the individual discs?
The slipcovers are nothing special, I don't know where you heard this. They are identical to the actual artwork underneath.
Old 10-25-07, 12:16 AM

Thanks Cheapchildren and Darth Marino.

Did anyone get A Life in Pictures individually? Mine does not have a slipcover. I'm just wondering if it was supposed to have one. At Best Buy, some of the individual sets had slip covers (2001, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining) and some didn't (Eyes Wide Shut and A Life in Pictures.).
Old 10-25-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got the last set at a Best Buy. Also saw two copies at Target.

Did anyone get a copy of The Shinning with the door cover in a set? The one in my set is the same cover as the individual release. Any chance Warner will make replacement covers available?

Why the hell did they even have different covers for the sets and the individual releases? It's just confusing everything.

And now as I look at the discs themselves, the art on them is kind of screwed up, too:

Disc one of each two-disc set has the same image as the cover case of the individual releases. (The disc art for disc one of 2001 has the blue and purple starchild image. But the image on the case is the close up of HAL's eye.) But this scheme is only followed for 2001, Clockwork and Eyes.

The Shinning, with it's "Here's Johnny" case cover, does not have the same image on disc one. (Disc one of the Shinning is an image of Danny riding down the hall.)

And Full Metal Jacket, while the cover case does fit with 2001, Clockwork and Eyes, the disc art doesn't have any image at all. It's just the title in the same lettering as is on the case. But there's no 'Born to Kill' helmet.

Also, Eyes only has the unrated version, despite saying on the back that both versions are available. But then that's one mistake that's probably for the better.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 10-25-07 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-25-07, 02:52 AM
Hau

Will the approx. 50 dollars for set remain or is it gonna change to 70-80?
Im in between buying Kubrick set or Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection from amazon. Both are slightly over 50.
Old 10-25-07, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'm hoping my friend buys the releases individually and I'll be able to trade him covers.
Is your friend blind?

Perhaps you know something that he wouldn't want his wife/girlfriend to find out about?
Old 10-25-07, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Did anyone get a copy of The Shinning with the door cover in a set?
Don't wanna get sued.

Old 10-25-07, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hau
Will the approx. 50 dollars for set remain or is it gonna change to 70-80?
Im in between buying Kubrick set or Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection from amazon. Both are slightly over 50.

I was thinking something along that same line, but just remember that both Psycho and The Birds are supposed to get Legacy Series a la The Sting.
Old 10-25-07, 07:03 AM

Speaking of the Shining, in one of the screencaps on DVDBeaver, I thought the blood came off on the second floor.
Old 10-25-07, 07:08 AM
Hau

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
I was thinking something along that same line, but just remember that both Psycho and The Birds are supposed to get Legacy Series a la The Sting.
Yea, but im not that big of a Hitchcock fan that i would skip the big and cheap(per film) collection in order to get legacy series. Im a big Kubrick fan, BUT if the price will stay on 50 i would skip it and go on with Alfred at the moment, cuz ii is amazons discount.
So the question remains:
Will the price of the Kubrick set go up?
(preorder price was 55, and its released and still on 55)
Old 10-25-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Score! The Best Buy near my office has this available, and they are holding one for me. It will be in my hot little hands later today.

Now I just have to hope for no glitches like the screen going black during The Shining...
Old 10-25-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Don't know about Lolita, but Barry Lyndon is definitely not anamorphic. Heck, it's practically 4:3, with only a sliver of a black bar at the bottom. The back of the packaging that states "preserving the aspect ratio of it's original camera negative" is absolutely correct. There may be a little extra head-space in some shots, but making it 1:85 would kill a lot of the compositions - more than most other Kubrick films. For that reason, I don't think BL should ever even be anything wider than this dvd.
That's pretty much what I figured... It's the same disc as the old one. There's still no excuse for WB not remastering and giving us an anamorphic presentation. I'm not asking for it to be cropped to 1.85:1, I'm asking for an anamorphic transfer with the current and correct 1.66:1 framing. Sigh...
Old 10-25-07, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can somebody please post a pic of the "door" cover to The Shining? (The one that matches the box set).

I tried the link posted earlier, but do not have flash on my work computer, and so nothing shows on the page.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-07, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Now I just have to hope for no glitches like the screen going black during The Shining...
Ok, so I officially go to Walmart and pick up another copy of The Shining to replace the one in my boxset with the screen going black for 10 seconds problem. I would have exchanged the whole boxset like recommended, but there are no other copies, I got the last one at Target, and I'm too impatient to wait till they recieve more in stock.

Anyways, I take home the new one, and AGAIN the screen goes black, exactly the same times, 2:17-2:28. Anyone else have this problem?? I'm getting really frustrated here, I'll exchange it for a new one tonight again at Walmart, so wish me luck.
Old 10-25-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EEz28
A post at another board has said that they received only the rated R version of EWS in their box. Has anyone else experienced this? I would assume they would have already posted about it all pissed off if they had.
The box on mine states an R rating and though it also mentions selectable
rated or unrated versions of the film I believe I read that only the unrated
version made it to the final product. I haven't seen the film so I wouldn't
know where to look to tell if I have the R or unrated if the prior isn't the case.

I'd like to add that with all the talk of the covers in the set being ugly, I really
like the disc artwork for disc 2 of A Clockwork Orange.
Old 10-25-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
know where to look to tell if I have the R or unrated if the prior isn't the case.
The orgy scene, if there are "shadow people" covering the "good stuff", it's the R-Rated version.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-25-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My "The Shining" disc doesn't have and video dropouts there. Also, my EWS says two cuts are included (with the "R" on the package), but it's the uncut version only.
Old 10-25-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen the film so I wouldn't know where to look to tell if I have the R or unrated if the prior isn't the case.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...-wide-shut.htm

You'll know pretty quick.
Old 10-25-07, 04:33 PM

I'd like to add that with all the talk of the covers in the set being ugly, I really
like the disc artwork for disc 2 of A Clockwork Orange.
Alright folks, sorry about my post, I should have waited a little while longer before posting but the person who originally make that statement actually didn't see it until just now and they do in fact have the unrated version. They were totally confused about the way the packaged was labeled and also having the R rating label on the back of the box.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.