Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Frasier Final Season not in widescreen

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frasier Final Season DVD not in widescreen

It seems despite airing the last two seasons in HDTV, Frasier The Complete Final season DVD set is lackluster full frame. Why Paramount chose this is beyond me as most shows that air in HD are released in anamorphic widescreen. Early announcements got me excited for getting to rewatch Frasier in 16X9 and 5.1. Sadly, in addition to this, they've also left off the retrospective that aired before the final episode. It would have made a fitting extra. Thanks Paramount, you're fantastic!

edit:corrected grammar.

Last edited by typecase; 11-09-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too bad. While it's possible they'll be released by different companies, I hope the same thing doesn't happen if and when Joey or Father of the Pride come out on DVD since they're both broadcast in HD.
Old 11-09-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just because something is broadcast in WS doesn't mean that it was ever intended to be. Take the OC for example. It was broadcast in WS to take advantage of HD, but it was never shot with that in mind. This may be the case with Fraiser.
Old 11-11-04, 11:43 AM

DVD Josh is correct.
Old 11-11-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Martin. Good to see that you're still around!
Old 11-11-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah. Thanks Martin.

and DVD Josh.
Old 11-11-04, 05:25 PM

While I'm still a tad disappointed as I like my widescreen set filled any time I can, I'm grateful for an official response. Thanks Martin!

Last edited by typecase; 11-16-04 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This IS disappointing. For the same reason that I want to see a movie in the same aspect ratio I saw it in the theaters, I want to see a television show in the same aspect ratio I saw it when it originally aired. I just really liked the way Frasier looked in 16:9. Oh well....Ill probably still order this, but Ill be getting on some P2P networks and downloading the widescreen versions as nice supplement disc.
Old 11-16-04, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Maybe they decided to release it fullframe to make it consistent with the rest of the set.

Another point could be that since it was aired as HDTV and widescreen why would they just have it released as widescreen without HD? People would complain about that too.

Anyway, it would make sense for them to release it in both HD and widescreen when the new HDDVDs come out next year.
Old 11-17-04, 03:33 PM

Martin, I was just wondering if you could possibly elaborate a bit on your response "DVD Josh is correct." Is that an official response in regard to why the Frasier final season DVDs are not anamorphic widescreen. If, in fact, as Josh stated, that is was never intended to be seen in widescreen, then why air it that way. Will and Grace evidently isn't intended to be seen in widescreen and therefore, it isn't. If Frasier aired in widescreen, was it not also shot in widescreen, and if so, why not release it that way on DVD. Paramount is raping my childhood, since widescreen is how I remember originally seeing the final season of Frasier . . . (tongue in cheek).
Old 11-17-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral7
If, in fact, as Josh stated, that is was never intended to be seen in widescreen, then why air it that way.
It could be the same reason movies are typically shown full-frame or cropped on network television -- to fill the viewers' screen. It's also possible that neither aspect ratio is "wrong", but one is "more right" than the other. In the case of Frasier, perhaps it was filmed with 4x3 in mind but shot to be 16x9-safe.
Old 11-20-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heres my problem with this: when a DVD movie is released, a lot of times there is either a fullframe version included or a seperate fullframe version available in addition to the widescreen version just to appease the masses. Now, with Frasier, you could make the argument that 4:3 is "more right" since supposedly they used a "tilt-and-scan" to create the 16:9 image from what Ive been told. So you can make the argument that 4:3 is "OAR" for this, but since all of the studios love to release fullframe versions for Joe 6 Pack, why cant they release a widescreen version for me, even if it is "less right"? This isnt a matter of me wanting to have my screen filled because Id want the widescreen version if I had a 4:3 TV. The King of Queens is another victim as Im certain 4:3 is center-cut from the 16:9 frame...IMO, that makes 16:9 OAR in that case.
Old 11-30-04, 12:51 AM

I've compared the images on the DVD set (see below) and the original HDTV broadcast. The DVD set's images lacks information on the side that the HDTV broadcast contained. This would not have been a total tradgedy if it had been an open matte but alas, even though it may be its intended ratio, it looks "cropped". Sigh

edit: added pics

Last edited by typecase; 11-30-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 12:09 AM

That is too bad. If it was aired in HD, then it was intended to be seen in widescreen by those with widescreen TVs. It most certainly would not have hurt them to put the widescreen seasons of Frasier on the DVDs that way.
Old 12-01-04, 03:10 AM

Very disappointed with that.