Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

More TITANIC: SE news [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the International Forum:

Virgin Megastore UK have a 5 disc exclusive with alternative cover art..
Old 10-27-05, 09:07 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're referring to this:

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/invt/652586

how do you know it's 5 discs? I see no such reference.
Old 10-27-05, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
If you're referring to this:

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/invt/652586

how do you know it's 5 discs? I see no such reference.
I don't. The person who posted it in the international forum DOES.
Old 10-27-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is interesting, my remote (I own a Samsung HD-931) was unable to access the two Easter Eggs (it wouldn't highlight the areas) on Disc 3, but I was able to view them on my computer DVD player. So be aware that some players (or maybe just one!) may not be able to access the Easter Eggs.!
I was unable to access them directly either but you can just directly to Title track 56 & 57 to view the eggs.
Old 10-27-05, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Yes, I readily admit, I am practically the definition of obsessive-compulsive. I'm not particularly proud of that, but neither am I ashamed. I live for mint condition collections, and sometimes that perfect copy doesn't present itself till an hour or more down the line. My display is as important to me as the films in the display. I will take the time I need to find the best.

--THX
Certified I too have OCD and my girlfriend and best friends remind me of this regularly . I'm not particularly proud or ashamed of this fact either but isn't this a DVD collectors forum? Don't we all want the best possible presentation, A/V wise and packaging wise? Oh and Certified, I know you were exagerating, but an hour and a half... I only spent an hour .
Old 10-27-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 931 Likes on 748 Posts
My main complaint with the set is this:

Why, oh why were the deleted scenes not integrated into the movie????
This would have been so easy to do with seamless branching.

Cameron did this with his special editions of THE ABYSS and TERMINATOR 2 with excellent results.

I suspect that it was either a compression / bitrate problem (the feature would run some 235 minutes with the extra scenes included).

It may be possible to edit these deleted scenes in manually with a program like MPEG2VCR or Adobe Premiere... Would be quite a lot of work, however, with 29 scenes to put in.

If "deleted scenes" are included at all in DVD releases, we should have the *option* of being able to watch those scenes included in the proper context within the movie itself.

Who else agrees?
Old 10-27-05, 06:24 PM

Try here!

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/invt/669225

but no delivery option for overseas.
Old 10-27-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look at the enlarged picture - that 5th disc is Cameron's "Ghosts of The Abyss" film.

Nice to see you here, Dave!
Old 10-27-05, 06:39 PM

Hiya Nick! Thanks for the welcome! I hadn't clicked on the enlarge button b4 so now I know! Interesting... much better than just the soundtrack IMHO. I already have the R1 "Ghosts" set but the PQ wasn't the greatest with noticeable EE. I wonder how the PAL R2 with the extra resolution compared?

And the box itself looks much classier. Worth the extra dough methinks but how to get it? I COULD call up the old ex in England... hmmmmm.....

dmack
Old 10-27-05, 06:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by zyzzle
If "deleted scenes" are included at all in DVD releases, we should have the *option* of being able to watch those scenes included in the proper context within the movie itself.

Who else agrees?
Ever see the SE of "Ray"? after that mess, the *option* for extended scenes should be outlawed!
Old 10-27-05, 06:51 PM

Cameron has stated that the theatrical release is his director's cut unlike ALIENS and The Abyss and he really doesn't want the film itself to be watched in any other way. That's why the deleted scenes are separate.
Old 10-27-05, 08:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
This is certainly...interesting.

From IMDb:

[Emphasis added]

Um....

What?

Are we forgetting HD-DVD/Blue-Ray?

Then again, the article does say there won't be further DVD releases. Strictly speaking, perhaps Cameron means this is the ultimate for this format. That's not quite the impression I get, though. Especially when he says, "This is the ultimate disc."

--THX

well if and when a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray edition ever materalizes, you can bet that version will have enough space to include the full movie on one disc.

I can't believe the inside text iincludes "awesome" alternate ending - 'Brock's Epiphany' - how tacky is that (like... totally awesome) oh brother.

I hate the shiny case surface - my fingerprints are now all over it.
Old 10-27-05, 11:41 PM
Banned

Great breakdown of everything:

http://www.geocities.com/vtyrty/TitanicSE.html
Old 10-27-05, 11:58 PM
Banned

Side note: that SNL skit is atrocious.

And I can't get my player to even get to the other skit.

Really missing those trailers right now
Old 10-28-05, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boss429
Certified I too have OCD and my girlfriend and best friends remind me of this regularly . I'm not particularly proud or ashamed of this fact either but isn't this a DVD collectors forum? Don't we all want the best possible presentation, A/V wise and packaging wise? Oh and Certified, I know you were exagerating, but an hour and a half... I only spent an hour .
Glad to see I'm not alone.

Not sure exactly how much time I actually spent. Wasn't doing an analysis worthy of CSI the whole time. Just took so long to finally decide on the one I chose. They had 25 to 30 copies, and most of them were blemished.

Spent probably as long, if not longer, when I picked up Spider-Man 2 last year. Slipcases have a terrible tendency of looking abused before they're even sold. Had to plow through a ton of those to find the copy I ultimately bought.

Not easy being an obsessive-compulsive collector. But fun.

--THX
Old 10-28-05, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
That's probably the one element--the collection of trailers--where the R1 set truly fails to match its R2 equivalent. The HBO special would have been nice. We evidently have a couple of the parodies as Easter Eggs. But those trailers would have fit so perfectly in the Marketing section on the third disc. That's the sad part of this release.

--THX
Old 10-28-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Cameron has stated that the theatrical release is his director's cut unlike ALIENS and The Abyss and he really doesn't want the film itself to be watched in any other way. That's why the deleted scenes are separate.
Thank you!

The main reason why the deleted scenes haven't been put back into the movie is because the movie would be WORSE, not better, with the scenes in them. Cameron is happy with the theatrical version, and only mentions a few things in the movie he would go back and change if he could: Jack's reference to the lake in his hometown which was man-made and not there in 1912 (Cameron admits to picking up a road atlas and picking a lake at random); and the doors to the Titanic (where passengers got onboard) - apparantly he got those wrong.
Old 10-28-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That's probably the one element--the collection of trailers--where the R1 set truly fails to match its R2 equivalent. The HBO special would have been nice. We evidently have a couple of the parodies as Easter Eggs. But those trailers would have fit so perfectly in the Marketing section on the third disc. That's the sad part of this release.

--THX
What makes that even sadder is that the third disc only uses 5.70 GB (out of a possible 7.95 GB). They would have had plenty of room for the trailers and the HBO special.
Old 10-28-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Side note: that SNL skit is atrocious.

And I can't get my player to even get to the other skit.

I have to agree on that one. No wonder I haven't watched SNL in years. Ick.

And didn't they do that exact same sequel skit with Peter Jackson?
Old 10-28-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished watching this set last night, and overall, I'm very, very happy. However (and I guess this could be seen as either a bad or good thing), it really left me wanting more...unlike with, say, The Fly: SE where there was nothing more I wanted to know, ever. Although I think my suggestion of a five disc set earlier might have been overstated (the actual event was covered pretty in-depth without needing a fifth disc of more documentaries), I still believe that a fourth disc would have been well worth it.

The fourth disc could have contained a feature-length documentary containing all the fly-on-the-wall footage from the set, from beginning to end (much like Episode I's documentary). Of course, this would have to be a warts and all approach.... And then, also on that disc, they could have put together a forty-five minute retrospective featurette with all the current participants (a la the Batman Anthology's documentaries). Those things, plus participation from DiCaprio and the trailer, would have made this set pretty damn perfect.

But for now, it's still excellent. But as someone might have said earlier, the pods just left me wanting more; it's one thing to hear about things on the commentaries (which were superb), but it's another to actually see the shooting taking place. Still, great set.
Old 10-28-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easter Eggs: I found that to highlight the Easter Eggs on the 3rd disk you have to use "right", then "down" on your remote from the first menu item on the page -- Chapter 29 picture for the SNL skit and the first menu item on the Marketing page for the MTV Music Awards bit. I DID notice that "Titanic with Bunnies" was credited in the DVD Credits area, so it seems like this MIGHT be an Easter Egg somewhere, but I couldn't find anything else on Disc 3 -- maybe on another disk??

I have managed to wade through this set in the last three nights and have NO complaints. It would have been nice to see the trailers, though. HBO First Looks are generally fluff pieces anyway, so I don't much miss that. I would love to read the "scriptment", but I'm not reading my TV screen for 482 pages! Have to look for it online.
Old 10-28-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Titanic With Bunnies Easter Egg is on disc three under still galleries. You have to get to the arrow in the middle of the screen.
Old 10-28-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
The Titanic With Bunnies Easter Egg is on disc three under still galleries. You have to get to the arrow in the middle of the screen.
Thanks! I'll try that when I get home today.
Old 10-28-05, 10:04 AM
Banned

I couldn't get that MTV skit to work at all. It's almost as if the pointer wouldn't go to it.

Can you be a bit more specific about the Bunnies skit as well?
Old 10-28-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember how I got there, except that I went "up" from one of the submenus under Still Galleries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.