Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TOS Season 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek TOS Season 2

Old 11-03-04, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek TOS Season 2

Asking those who have bought the set already - are we seeing the same problems with scratches and scuffs that were seen with the first season discs? I'm planning on buying it, but I will open it at the store to check it first to save myself a trip back if these are having the same production quality problems.

Also, it seems the best in-store price I can find is $99.99 at Best Buy and Target. Circuit city is at $109.99. I was bummed - and pissed - when Target's Web site listed it at $90.99, but that wasn't the price in the store.
Old 11-03-04, 12:46 PM

So you're having the same problems with messed up discs in the R1 sets that we're having in R2 then? Lots of discs with scratched and damaged play surfaces?

Paramount seem to go for really awful packing for their stuff. See the thread I started about the loads of TNG and DS9 discs I have with cracked and shattered hubs because of the awful "digistaks" they came in.
Old 11-03-04, 01:15 PM

I was going to come and update the old scuffed Star Trek thread, but this will do.
I went through three sets with Amazon on the first one, so I went to Best Buy yesterday. I opened my set in the store and saw scratches on three discs. I took it to Customer Service and actually had someone helpful. She said she saw scratches on all of the discs, so I grabbed another set. The first disc had a tiny scratch along the track (maybe a quarter inch), so I'm taking my chances with that and if it doesn't work, I'll just take it back again. This is just pathetic on Paramount's part.
Old 11-03-04, 01:16 PM

With the first season set at Best Buy, I was able to take discs from two sets to assemble one good one. I hope I don't have to do that again.
Old 11-03-04, 01:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Bought Season 2, and other than them being dusty. All is well.
Old 11-03-04, 02:18 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
If you (or someone you know) has a Costco card, it was only $80.99 there.

Plus the crappy plastic cases come in a thick cardboard case (if you ever shop at Costco or Sam's you are familiar with these) and so far I haven't had a floater in either season 1 or 2. I bought two of each of these (one set for my Dad) and all the discs are perfect.
Old 11-03-04, 02:41 PM
Banned

I own both sets and not once have I had a single scratched disc...weird...
Old 11-03-04, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by JEStinson3
If you (or someone you know) has a Costco card, it was only $80.99 there.

Plus the crappy plastic cases come in a thick cardboard case (if you ever shop at Costco or Sam's you are familiar with these) and so far I haven't had a floater in either season 1 or 2. I bought two of each of these (one set for my Dad) and all the discs are perfect.
Wow, $80.99. That would be damn nice. But I'm not a Costco member, nor do I know any, and I will not pay for the privilege of shopping at a store. I don't buy enough to merit paying for a "membership."

I hate this whole Costco/Sam's Club concept. Bleech!
Old 11-03-04, 04:02 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I'll be holding off on buying these sets, very disapointing indeed.
Old 11-03-04, 04:31 PM
Red

Bought both Season 1 and 2 from Costco.

Was lucky with Season 1, no scratches!

Not so lucky with Season 2 - disk 7 had a single short scratch that was parallel with the tracks and made the disc lock up and skip. Instead of hauling my ass back to Costco, I took a plastics polisher (Novus) and polished down the scratch and the disc plays fine now.
Old 11-03-04, 05:17 PM

I got my set. Opened it at the store and every disc looked OK. I was rather surprised.

The cases on the other hand were a different story. Many of them were partially opened in the shrinkwrap, and several had the silver finish applied to the front lettering and insignia worn off. I grabbed one that was slightly open but had good finishing and found the bottom of the case was not snapped together properly. Fortunately it was easy to fix.

Also discovered not all the sets at Best Buy contain the bonus disc. Of course, the ones in the best cosmetic condition did not have the bonus disc.

I entered it into my DVD Profiler but it didn't get recognized. I wonder if there's an issue with the UPC.

On season one, it's: 97360 50928
On season two, it's kinda weird: -9736-05093-8

I figured the dashes were not needed and entered it as 97360 50938. Hopefully that will work when DVDProfiler gets updated.
Old 11-03-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Picked mine up at Fry's this morning and, based on the scratches I experienced with Season 1, opened this set while still in the parking lot. All the disks looked fine this time!
Old 11-04-04, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason that Profiler didn't recgonize it is that the Best Buy version of the set has a different UPC code than the rest of the sets.

Best Buy has the same UPC as the normal sets until the last number. Best Buy's UPC ends with an 8, everywhere else it's a 4. Profiler had the set uploaded to the UPC with the 4, but not the one with the 8 yet.

I'll be uploading it later, once I get the guest cast added for each episode.
Old 11-04-04, 04:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Fok
Guess I'll be holding off on buying these sets, very disapointing indeed.
theres no reason too. These are isolated incidents...I've bought both seasons and havent had a scratched disc...go ahead and get em...
Old 11-04-04, 09:45 AM

Yeah, I say get them, too, despite my own experiences. Just be sure you check them out. IMO, if you're paying $100 for something, you shouldn't have to accept a disc that is scratched or damaged in any way and "hope" that it works. For that much money, a new disc should be just that - new, and undamaged.
Old 11-04-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my set 1 was scratched on two discs. opened my set 2 last night, and a had near perfect set, except the bestbuy bonus disc had serious scuff marks (parallel scratch lines, like it was caught and dragged along something rough.)

btw, my set 2 did not come with a episode booklet like the first set did. is it supposed to, or did they cheese out on that also?
Old 11-04-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Darmok, mine had the booklet.
Old 11-04-04, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
Wow, $80.99. That would be damn nice. But I'm not a Costco member, nor do I know any, and I will not pay for the privilege of shopping at a store. I don't buy enough to merit paying for a "membership."

I hate this whole Costco/Sam's Club concept. Bleech!
When you can regularly save $20+ on boxsets you make up your $40 per year membership fee real fast. And save 10 cents a gallon on gas as well.

You may not like the setup, but they never have damage (as mentioned above Costco takes huge steps to stop theft and damage) and you get the best price of any retail store 90% of the time. That $40 membership fee is made back for me every month at least.
Old 11-04-04, 11:41 AM

If you are planning on buying all 3 Star Trek sets you will make up your year long membership fee at Costco in one shot. Even just buying 2 sets would make up basically a years membership in savings.

I admit it. I love Costco.
Old 11-04-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, the copy of S2 that I got to review was pristine. And it's not like reviewers always get sent perfect copies - far from it. I've often entertained the notion that some studios specifically select the "rattlers" or ones with damaged packaging to send for review, maybe on the theory that it couldn't be sold otherwise... But in any case, both my copies of ST: TOS S1 and S2 have been perfect.
Old 11-04-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks, Bronkster. damn, now i gotta go swap it. Paramount QC sux.

Originally posted by Bronkster
Darmok, mine had the booklet.
Old 11-04-04, 12:09 PM
Banned

mine had a booklet too...
Old 11-04-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
All of my discs were perfect, except for 1 (had a minor scratch on it).
Old 11-04-04, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by alfredog1976
All of my discs were perfect, except for 1 (had a minor scratch on it).
IMO, there is no such thing as a "minor" scratch, or "minor" damage. You're paying good money, and a good bit of it, and you shouldn't have to accept it. I'd exchange it.

I'm wondering if any of the complaints about quality control are getting back to Paramount, and if they're doing anything about it.

P.S. Mine had a booklet, too, just like Season One.
Old 11-04-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Altimus Prime
IMO, there is no such thing as a "minor" scratch, or "minor" damage. You're paying good money, and a good bit of it, and you shouldn't have to accept it. I'd exchange it.
You're right, but when I purchased Season 1, almost all of the discs were scratched, which to me was unacceptable. I went in there expecting to swap the bad ones with good ones from a new package, but the dipsh*t there wouldn't let me do that because the dvds could have serial #'s (?). Had to open 2 packages before I got a good one. A waste of time and too much hassle for me to go through again over 1 disc (which works good, tested it last night) when all the other discs are perfect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.