Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"The Grudge" DVD News!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Grudge" DVD News!

Videostore Mag writes:

Horror movies are often coming out with 'PG-13' ratings to cater to younger audiences, making even more room for unrated cuts on DVD. Columbia Pictures' The Grudge will take advantage of that for its unrated version.

Takashi Shimizu, who directed the original Japanese Ju-On as well as the American remake The Grudge, said the unrated version will have more scary moments and images than the Motion Picture Association of America would allow for 'PG-13.' It will also expand on the plot, especially the famous croaking noise that the ghost makes before it attacks its victims. 'The lady ghost is always making that noise, and on the DVD it explains why she makes that noise,' Shimizu said through a translator.

Ultimately, Shimizu did not mind toning the film down for its theatrical release. 'I can say it was strict, but I'm not really a fan of violence and slaughter,' Shimizu said. 'I don't think these are the only elements that make a horror movie more scary.'

There is also an alternate ending that will appear on the DVD, though not reconstituted into the film. 'I always wanted to go with one idea and be with it,' Shimizu said. 'But with experience in American production ' I understand [how several endings result].'

Sam Raimi, who served as producer on the film, explained what led to the alternate ending, which he considers more artistic. Several options were written and narrowed down before shooting.

'We don't really know what the poem of the movie is and, therefore, the proper ending, really, until the performances and the scenes are all put together,' Raimi said. 'We said, 'Let's just shoot the ending we think is most appropriate, letting the director decide, and then if he wants to approve [a reshoot] later, he can. Or if he finds a better conclusion.' So we shot what he thought was the best conclusion at the time, and we actually went back and made some tweaks to it during one day of additional photography that I think is really an improvement.'

Sounds good to me. I liked the movie a lot, and I'm glad that the DVD is going to explain more of the story.
Old 10-29-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
sounds good.

also isn't lions gate releasing the original in Region 1 sometime next month?
Old 10-29-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once again, I applaud the filmmakers who announce this well in advance.
Old 10-29-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds great, i enjoyed this in the theatre as well and would love to see what got cut. Considering the rating, the creators did a great job delivering a creepy thriller.
Old 10-29-04, 04:30 AM
Banned

awesome! I'll be gettin it!
Old 10-29-04, 04:34 AM
Banned

Pretty soon all we'll see are pg-13 movies in theaters.

In 3-6 months you'll be allowed to see the "true vision" of the director for 19.99 msrp.

Hooray
Old 10-29-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by asianxcore
sounds good.

also isn't lions gate releasing the original in Region 1 sometime next month?
I heard 11/9....hope that is true.
Old 10-29-04, 07:59 AM

Sounds good!

As for the rating, I honestly have no idea how it even got a PG-13 rating. I never paid attention to what it was rated when I saw it, and assumed it was R. I was really surprised when I found out later that it wasn't.
Old 10-29-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by CarlitoBrown

In 3-6 months you'll be allowed to see the "true vision" of the director for 19.99 msrp.

Hooray
Exactly. I was going to go see this over the weekend, but now I'll wait for the "real" version on DVD.
Old 10-29-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to see the movie...now going to skip it and just pay 19.99 for the unrated. Thanks for saving me money
Old 10-29-04, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by CarlitoBrown

Hooray

True, however knowing this hopefully they will not hold back on the unrated version of these movies.

Lot's of gore, nudity and scares
Old 10-29-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Once again, I applaud the filmmakers who announce this well in advance.
Agreed.

As long as you are upfront with me, we are cool.

I liked this movie and thought it was plenty scary enough as is. I can't wait for a R rated version. Will get it for sure.
Old 10-29-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this movie for free. It wasn't even worth that.
Old 10-29-04, 10:45 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad to hear it!
Old 10-29-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news. It's a shame we have to get the kiddie versions in the theater and have to wait for the good stuff on DVD.
Old 10-29-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thats great news, I loved this flick and cant wait for the DVD
Old 10-29-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Considering the rating, the creators did a great job delivering a creepy thriller.
Originally posted by matome
It's a shame we have to get the kiddie versions in the theater and have to wait for the good stuff on DVD.

Yeah, because if it's not R-rated, it shouldn't be a good horror film...
Old 10-29-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw it yesterday and it was fine, rating notwithstanding.

I am looking forward to the DVD now, though!
Old 10-29-04, 02:46 PM

SAW is infinitely better!!

Check out SAW it's a real horror film and made for under a million. I'm sure that'll have a director's cut since they had to tone that one down. All THE GRUDGE had was an asthmatic ghost. I thought it was a comedy.
Old 10-29-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's R-Rated it should be a "better" horror film:

"Takashi Shimizu, who directed the original Japanese Ju-On as well as the American remake The Grudge, said the unrated version will have more scary moments and images than the Motion Picture Association of America would allow for 'PG-13.'"

More scares = better horror film in my book. Instead, the filmmaker has to worry about kiddies having nightmares.
Old 10-29-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matome
Great news. It's a shame we have to get the kiddie versions in the theater and have to wait for the good stuff on DVD.
Too true. Damn studios wanting everything to be watered down...
Old 10-29-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Hey, more blood and gore = better movie, right?
Old 10-30-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jonpeters
Too true. Damn studios wanting everything to be watered down...
It never ends...
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Hey, more blood and gore = better movie, right?
I'd love it if you retired that joke at this point, but it's still far too applicable to threads these days... keep it up, Jack.

Anyone else think it's funny that ianholm writes "If it's R-Rated it should be a "better" horror film", then quotes a paragraph to support his point that doesn't ever mention an R-rating?
Old 10-30-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I love the fact that we can get better stuff on DVD, but at the same time, I also feel like it's getting out of hand. I mean, any director now can throw together whatever they want for the theater, and then just say 'ah the hell with that, we'll just put it on the dvd later'. It's happening so often, selling these extended editions or directors cuts. So many movies don't even deserve to be extended, throwing in scenes that were cut because they really didn't make any difference if they were in the film or not. The only movies to ever really benefit in my opinion, from their extra scenes, was Terminator 2 and the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Let's see how this one turns out though...
Old 10-30-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else think it's funny that ianholm writes "If it's R-Rated it should be a "better" horror film", then quotes a paragraph to support his point that doesn't ever mention an R-rating?
Hmmm...

"Takashi Shimizu, who directed the original Japanese Ju-On as well as the American remake The Grudge, said the unrated version will have more scary moments and images than the Motion Picture Association of America would allow for 'PG-13.'"

So the MPAA made him cut out the scary moments & images because they were aiming for a PG or G rating? Or was it because his original vision of the film would have merited the R-rating?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.