Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek Complete Series Boxsets

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 08:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek Complete Series Boxsets

I did a search and did not find anything on this. Next week Star Trek Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are released in complete series boxsets. Then in December Voyager and TOS are released. They are a couple hundred dollars cheaper then buying them individually (except for TOS). I read awhile back that these were coming out but I didn't know some of them were next week. Did anyone else know this?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...74&promotion=y

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...84&promotion=y

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...38&promotion=y

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...74&promotion=y
Old 10-20-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Holy fuck
Old 10-20-04, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where's that 20% coupon when you need it
Old 10-20-04, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by nemein
Where's that 20% coupon when you need it
Well last year it was around November. Here's hoping it comes again.
Old 10-20-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Excellent deal (especially if there is a DDD 20% coupon).

I don't think I could have waited this long, though. I've already purchased all of the TNG, DS9, Voyager, and TOS sets up to now.

I'm pretty patient with DVD's, but not when it comes to Star Trek
Old 10-20-04, 10:08 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might actually pick some of them up. We'll see how much they cost here in Canada.
Old 10-20-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, huge savings. So you're paying $77 and change for each season, where as I paid $81 and change for them when they were first released. Hope you save that $ for your kids college education.
Old 10-20-04, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
Yes, huge savings. So you're paying $77 and change for each season, where as I paid $81 and change for them when they were first released. Hope you save that $ for your kids college education.
Bitter much? Yankees fan or something?
Old 10-20-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone know if these are simply the previous sets bundled together (in shrinkwrap) or are they actually producing a new artbox/packaging?
Old 10-21-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Great now I just need to win the lottery to pick up DS9 VOY TOS and the last three seasons of TNG. Where is the money when you really need it

I hate this forum

BTW is darmok a really really obscure TNG name that I actually understand?
Old 10-21-04, 06:24 AM

I grew up watching TOS and really want all of the season sets, but I just feel like the price is way too high right now. I realize it's a classic series and alot of people wanted it, etc., etc., but to me $50 or $60 would me more reasonable. Not that I have priced every show out there, but do many other tv shows cost almost $100 per season at B & M stores?
Old 10-21-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
The X-Files came out at high prices, The Sopranos, too. I really want the Star Trek sets, but I can't throw down $100 on something I won't watch repeatedly. $50 and I'm there.
Old 10-21-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I grew up watching TOS and really want all of the season sets, but I just feel like the price is way too high right now. I realize it's a classic series and alot of people wanted it, etc., etc., but to me $50 or $60 would me more reasonable. Not that I have priced every show out there, but do many other tv shows cost almost $100 per season at B & M stores?
When TOS was only available on 2 ep discs at $20 each there was a chorus of people complaining about the price. Now it's available for under $100 a season and still people are complaining. I imagine that if it ever drops to $50 a season there will still be people complaining that it's too much to pay for an old series. Twenty-nine hour-long episodes of one of television's great series, plus half a dozen featurettes for under $100 is a terrific bargain.
Old 10-21-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up buying DS9 season by season over the course of like a year ..using various gift certificates/coupons/gift cards/etc I could ..I ended up paying $300some odd for all 7 seasons ..

currently buying voyager season by season from people on ebay..so far i've paid about $242 for the first 4 seasons (like ~60/each)..I usually stay away from ebay..but if you can find trustworthy sellers you can save alot on box sets..
Old 10-21-04, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by crapkilla
Bitter much? Yankees fan or something?
That must hurt.

Anyways, I thought the DDD 20% was last December?? Either way, if they have another I might pick up TOS complete.
Old 10-21-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I hadn't already purchased all these sets, I'd be all over these. The prices are not bad compared to what I paid form them as they were released individually.
Old 10-21-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakka....when the walls fell.

Originally posted by tanman
BTW is darmok a really really obscure TNG name that I actually understand?
Old 10-21-04, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
When TOS was only available on 2 ep discs at $20 each there was a chorus of people complaining about the price. Now it's available for under $100 a season and still people are complaining. I imagine that if it ever drops to $50 a season there will still be people complaining that it's too much to pay for an old series. Twenty-nine hour-long episodes of one of television's great series, plus half a dozen featurettes for under $100 is a terrific bargain.
You are right. Thanks so much.
Old 10-22-04, 11:56 AM

I always wondered if this would happen. TNG is a great show that I'd love to own on DVD. But I managed to tape most of the episodes over the years, so it's always been hard to justify buying the discs. So I've successfully avoided the seasonal sets.

$540 is an improvement in price. But I still can't justify that much money. With a 20% coupon, it would be $432. $62 a season. Damn. Maybe...just maybe....

Then I think, how long will it take me to watch all of these discs? 2 years? 3 years? It would suck if found out disc 48 was defective 3 years from now.

must resist...

resistance is futile....
Old 10-22-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Because it's still too high! If they were $100 a disc back in the day, and then reduced to $50, sure that's a savings of 50%, but it's still too damn much!

You have to compare it to a similar product. There are plenty of other TV series releases that are of similar quality and much lower price. The problem is they know the Trekkies will buy it up at any price, and a few years back I would have been one of them. But I'm learning the value of my dollars, and these aren't worth it.

Personally I'm buying up all the cheap single discs that everyone else is getting rid of.
Old 10-22-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will eventually pick up the only ST series I really liked, which is TNG.

If and when DDD has a 20% sale, I will pick it up then, but not until then.
Old 10-22-04, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CaptGideon
I always wondered if this would happen. TNG is a great show that I'd love to own on DVD. But I managed to tape most of the episodes over the years, so it's always been hard to justify buying the discs. So I've successfully avoided the seasonal sets.
I heard this argument from many people. Let me help you make up your mind. VHS = 240i res, mono sound or at best stereo Hi-Fi. DVD = 480p res, 5.1 surround. No contest.

I just don't understand why people use this argument. It's like, "I hear there's a Led Zeppelin CD box set, but I've already got'em all on 8-track."
Old 10-22-04, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pilot
I ended up buying DS9 season by season over the course of like a year ..using various gift certificates/coupons/gift cards/etc I could ..I ended up paying $300some odd for all 7 seasons ..

currently buying voyager season by season from people on ebay..so far i've paid about $242 for the first 4 seasons (like ~60/each)..I usually stay away from ebay..but if you can find trustworthy sellers you can save alot on box sets..
Yep, that's what I'm doing for VOY. I wasn't about to pay ~$100 for the first season of VOY for just 16 episodes. I've bought 3 seasons of VOY that way. I plan on shopping for Season 4 next month as Nov. is a lite month for me otherwise. I'll have to get 5-7 sometime next year.
Old 10-22-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I heard this argument from many people. Let me help you make up your mind. VHS = 240i res, mono sound or at best stereo Hi-Fi. DVD = 480p res, 5.1 surround. No contest.

I just don't understand why people use this argument. It's like, "I hear there's a Led Zeppelin CD box set, but I've already got'em all on 8-track."
Couldn't agree more. This is also true with regard to TV on DVD, that people don't buy because it is available to be viewed in syndication (nevermind the poor sound, commericals, and editing, not to mention convenience). Same argumant as "Why buy CDs, when you have radio."

Never ceases to amaze me.
Old 10-23-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by darmok
Shakka....when the walls fell.
darmok and jalad at tanagra....

Alright must...stop....obscure...star trek quotes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.