Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rescored HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME DVD thread. Send feedback to Sony please!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rescored HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME DVD thread. Send feedback to Sony please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by moviezzz
I think you would be surprised by how much it would cost to clear the music rights in many cases. Thousands of dollars a song, tens to hundreds of thousands in some cases. I don't know the details on this specific one, but music rights issues are one of the biggest causes of keeping films and TV shows from being on DVD.

It was a big problem on video as well. LAST PICTURE SHOW and HEAVY METAL were two of the biggest holdouts. They went for years without being available on VHS because of music rights issues.

With this one, they may have legally had to change the music or pay a price that made it impossible to release to DVD. This isn't THAT popular a title so may not have been worth it for them to pay the rights.

As others have mentioned above, the fact remains that the original composers are still credited on the film. If all of their music was removed (besides that one final credits song), Columbia would have (or at least should have) removed their credits from the film also. If Columbia is so worried about legal issues or lawsuits, maybe they should worry about the people who composed this new score and songs (with actual lyrics) who are NOT credited at all on this new DVD.

I think the only way anyone is ever going to get to the bottom of this is to track down the original composers and find out from them what's going on. Surely, they may object to being credited with such an awful new score when they had basically NOTHING to do with it.
Old 11-14-04, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this possible reasoning of the soundtrack being altered courtesy of a thread found on imdb.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0082498/board/nest/12883381

Still a lame excuse and it doesn't make sense. THE KISS (released by Sony earlier this year) is Canadian and its soundtrack wasn't changed.

Still suspicious of this "Official word" If its true, this is ridiculous