Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who got the new Tom & Jerry set? and how is it?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

This came out today, and I have not seen one review of it, so before I splurged, I want to find out if this set is any good and how it measures up to, say, the Looney Tunes set.
Old 10-19-04, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to a few people at hometheaterforum, the first disc is EDITED. It's A shame too cause I was thinking about picking this up http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=2
Old 10-19-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it's not like they promised "uncut" shorts. And why does everyone have to nit-pick so much - how are the trasnfers/sound/extras - what about comenting on things that are there instead of things that are not?
Old 10-19-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info about the edits here.

http://www.animationshow.com/forums/...=8&t=1266&st=0

which you can get to by reading through the HTF thread, but this is a direct link to Cartoon Research, Jerry Beck's website. Jerry worked with Warner Brothers on the Looney Tunes sets and on the T&J set. He notes in the linked thread that he can't talk yet about the issues with the T&J set, but I would imagine that as soon as there is any news, it will show up on his site.

I don't have the set, but from reading the related threads it seems that the transfers used might very well be from previous DVD releases and aren't of the same high quality as the LT sets. There also is more print damage (speckles, scratches, etc.) visible than on LT. The 'scope cartoons have new transfers. One of these, Touche Pussycat has a true multitrack 5.1 mix from the original 4 track stereo soundtrack.
Old 10-20-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well since it seems that everyone here is gutless, I went ahead and picked up this bad-boy.

And after sampling it, I'd have to say that anyone who bithces about this release is an asshole.

The transfers are pretty good, though the elements aren't in the best shape - lots of nicks and scratches all around. And only a couple shorts have any edits.
But for $16 you're getting over 5 hours of classic Tom&Jerry shorts, not to mention some nice extras.

The positives totally outweigh the negatives here.
Old 10-20-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At cartoonresearch Jerry Beck says:

"Warner Bros. Home Video is very, very upset over the edited cartoons that made their way into the TOM & JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION.

This was a mistake made at the servicing level. Warner Home Video and I became aware of the error only ten days before the official release date - and by then, the dvds were on their way to the stores.

It is part of Warner Bros. Home Video's marketing plan not to release edited or censored cartoons because they know that collectors want them complete.

The company is taking immediate steps to correct the situation. The proper digital masters of all three cartoons have been located and are being prepared now for replication. It may take as long as six to eight weeks to have a corrected disc ready for replacement.

From what I’ve been able to gather, the intention is for fans to be able to replace Disc 1 at no charge to them. I know from personal experience that Warners had a problem a year ago with the film KISS ME KATE. The transfer was not done correctly and fans were upset. Warners responded immediately, created a new transfer and eventually fans recieved replacement discs. It was not an overnight process. But it all worked out in the end.

Those of you waiting for the uncut disc 1 to appear on store shelves, I cannot say when that will happen. It will not happen soon. The quickest way to get the set the way you want it is to buy it now and go through the replacement process.

Despite this inconvience, There is much to recommend on the TOM & JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTION as is. The CinemaScope transfers are amazing, and the never-before-released stereo soundtrack on TOUCHE ***** CAT is really fantastic. (Only eight MGM Cartoons were recorded in true stereo at the time and this is the first one to be restored and released as originally intended).
Old 10-20-04, 10:27 AM

Well that's some good news.
Old 10-20-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, that's a great response from WB. better late than never!
Old 10-20-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by obscurelabel
I don't have the set, but from reading the related threads it seems that the transfers used might very well be from previous DVD releases and aren't of the same high quality as the LT sets. There also is more print damage (speckles, scratches, etc.) visible than on LT. The 'scope cartoons have new transfers. One of these, Touche Pussycat has a true multitrack 5.1 mix from the original 4 track stereo soundtrack.
I've only made it through most of the 1st disc, but so far I haven't seen anything close to the speckling visible on the LT set (appalling when compared to the LT LDs). Looks like a very nice upgrade to the same shorts on The Art of Tom & Jerry, Vol. 1 LD boxset.
Old 10-20-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched about 4 shorts last night with my 5 yr old. When we shut it off, she told me to take the "piece of crap" DVD back to Target because one of the shorts was edited.
Old 10-20-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hammer99
I've only made it through most of the 1st disc, but so far I haven't seen anything close to the speckling visible on the LT set
I noticed some speckling on the "Two Muskateers" short on Disc 2.
Old 10-20-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine last night and am very happy with it. I had read that 3 of the shorts were edited, but I went ahead and got it anyway. Great toons for a great price. Keep 'em comin'!
Old 10-20-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by bmello
I watched about 4 shorts last night with my 5 yr old. When we shut it off, she told me to take the "piece of crap" DVD back to Target because one of the shorts was edited.
lmfao
Old 10-20-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So will WB re-release the set once the corrections are made, and if so will the old sets be recalled or will the new ones have some kind of marking or sticker on them to let fans know they are the uncut versions?

I would prefer to just wait for the corrections to be made than to have to pay extra to mail back discs and wait for replacements to come in the mail.
Old 10-20-04, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Nice to see a studio actually responding to a mistake. I wasn't going to get this set because I have the LD's, but maybe because of the low cost and the fact that Warner's wants to get this right and actually take responsibilty for this mistake I'll support this new effort.

Neil
Old 10-20-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Does anybody know if this set was delayed here in Canada?

I have yet to find them in any B&M stores.
Old 10-20-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jerry Beck has said that the corrected disc will be made available in a few weeks and we will find out the details then. There won't be a recall. Corrected copies should appear later in stores, but don't expect that for a while still.
Old 10-20-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slop101
Well, it's not like they promised "uncut" shorts. And why does everyone have to nit-pick so much - how are the trasnfers/sound/extras - what about comenting on things that are there instead of things that are not?
Forgive me, but I don't understand. You're looking for reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy this, but then you complain about people nitpicking. Do you want honest information or not?

By the way, I love how the forum's software censors "Touche ***** Cat." If we can drop the F-bomb now --- arguably the "worst" swear word, what's wrong with a little ***** now and then?

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-20-04 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 05:07 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I tried getting the kiss me kate dvd swapped with warner brothers and I still have the uncorrected one because after two attempts they kept sending back the unfixed one. Here's hoping they figure out how to do that better with this one.
Old 10-20-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by g
I tried getting the kiss me kate dvd swapped with warner brothers and I still have the uncorrected one because after two attempts they kept sending back the unfixed one. Here's hoping they figure out how to do that better with this one.
I went through the exchange process twice to finally get the corrected version of Kiss Me Kate. I'm not really looking forward to doing this again with the Tom and Jerry set. Warner should contact Universal on how to do disc swaps smoothly.
Old 10-20-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So which shorts are censored? Other than The Milky Waif, The Little Oprah, and The Truce Hurts
Old 10-20-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You want there to be more censored shorts?
Old 10-21-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
A couple of basic questions. Just to confirm there is no deluxe set on the way like Looney tunes? And is this going to be it or is it just the first in a series.
Old 10-21-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the "deluxe" set and it's supposed to be the first in a series - it should take about four or five sets like this one, total, to complete. But I think further releases will depend on sales.

Last edited by slop101; 10-21-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like they're forcing me to stick with "alternate" means. BravO!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.